2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dettch Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Recently I read a comment from someone in this forum about the poor quality of mid level sounds on dp's. I have a new CP300 and I think the sounds in the lower registers below middle C (the lower the better) are phenomenal. Also the sounds starting one octave above middle C are exceptionally good in my opinion. However, I find the sounds, perhaps F through B above middle C rather electronic sounding. Notes G and A seem particularly offensive. I think this also is the observation the other person was making. I guess I have two questions:

1. Do others hear the same thing? (or is it just my neurosis?? smile

2. If it is true are there "tweakings" that deal with the problem.

Bob

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
dettch, for what it's worth I hear it too. I use the software piano, Ivory with headphones, and I find the notes and chords in the 4th octave have a "twang" to them. I've tried all the piano options that Ivory provides, but I still hear the "twang". I would love to know how to adjust Ivory to get rid of it. I have a wonderful grand piano but my room acoustics are terrible, so I'm considering going to a digital, but the "twang" is holding me back. I hope you get some useful response to your keen observation.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Pianoteq has a similar quirk, sounding nasal in the midrange. Though if you listen hard enough, you can hear that nasal quality in the upper registers too. I wonder what it is about the middle register.

My Yamaha P80 sounds natural across all keys. Hmmm, don't recollect if I've ever mentioned ol' reliable before!

[Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't think the middle keys sound too bad. I own a CP300 as well, I find that the highest octave sounds pretty tinny and dead. The bass has a nice rich sound as well, although a tad loud at times and overpowering. I find the middle C range sounds decent.

D
dettch Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Interesting, because I think the upper registers are sparkling bright on mine. A delightful sound. I do use the XG (?) mellow piano with just a little tweaking on the equalizers. I agree that, while I really like the lower notes individually, when playing they can get a little powerful. I've tried at times to remedy this with using a different piano sound with the split keyboard. That way I can adjust the volume down on the bottom of the keyboard.
Bob

This may not have anything to do with what you guys are experiencing but you may want to take this in mind. In 96 I came down with a head cold and got an ear infection, afterwards I noticed a ringing. It never went away and I got hearing loss as a result. I also attribute a portion of my hearing loss to being a recreational rifle shooter (always use double protection if you do too) and I went to an otolaryngologist for a hearing test and found out that most of mmy mid range hearing in my right ear is gone. Yeah, I can hear with it...but if I have a phone to that ear it sounds like the person is at the end of a long hallway. Certain peoples voices grate on me like nails on a chalkboard only because their voice has more of one type of pitch than any other. The doctor explained to me that a lot of people can have some minor hearing loss in either or both ears and not know it.

So maybe, given the same type of instrument tuned exactly the same way....certain people will hear specific ranges of notes slightly different.

its just a thought

D
dettch Offline OP
OP Offline
D
could be......however, one writer above claims one of his other keyboards (P80) didn't have the same mid range problem. So, at least in his/her case a hearing problem would not likely be the issue. And I have no problems with mid range on my acoustic. In fact that seems to be its strength.

Bob

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Mallard, I think your suggestion has some merit as I have a couple of notes in the 5th octave on my acoustic grand that give me the same grating feeling you describe. When I looked at the spectrograms of the offending notes, I noticed that they where about 6-10dB louder than their neighbors. As I have tinnitus, (ringing in the ears) I speculated that the loud notes accentuated the ringing. But there is no "twang" in the 4th octave or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, here's the weird part. When I go to my digital, I have no issues with the notes in the 5th octave, in fact everything is nice and smooth, no grating, but there is the "twang" for some combination of notes in the 4th octave.

As I am barely an advanced beginner (Alfred's Level 3), who has just recently become aware of the importance of LH/RH balance, I was wondering if my uneven keystrokes might be causing samples from level x at one note and level y from another and levels x and y were not a happy match. Maybe their phasing is off. It seems that if I try really hard to hit the notes at the same level, some of the "twang" disappears. This doesn't account for the "digital" sound that dettch and I hear on isolated notes though.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission