2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm looking for a real piano keyboard and action in a digital piano, but not in the grand piano format, but in ideally a stage piano configuration, or failing that, digital piano (upright) style.

I want to use this to play piano samples, such as Art Vista Virtual Steinway.

Does such a beast exist?

I've found real actions in Yamaha and Bachman (General Music) but only in the Grand Piano style cabinet, which does not appeal to me, is too expensive, and I lack the room for such a machine in my studio!

Thanks,

Lawrence

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I think the new Yamaha CLP280 with real wooden keys (called Natural Keyboard) will be perfect. Not sure of the price yet as itis justing hitting the States now. The piano is in an upright cabinet and looks like a spinet piano.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Try the Roland RD700SX.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm actually looking for digital pianos that have an actual real acoustic piano action in them, which I'm assuming would be better than any virtual attempt, including the CLP-280 Natural Keyboard.

I have played the CLP-280, and it is the best digital action I've played - that is an emulation of a real piano action, but I've only started to look at digital pianos. (For the past number of years I have used a Kurzweil K2500X, which has a Fatar action in it, I believe, and isn't cutting it any more.

Lawrence

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Melodial,

There's only one that fits your description---and the fit is not perfect. It's the Yamaha GranTouch, which I think is only c.3' deep and has an action from a Yammy grand. I have a Bachmann GRPT 140 with a Detoa action from an acoustic upright. Even medium-fast repetition is a problem.

DavidH

PS, Really looking forward to your impressions of the Virtual Grand. I'd love to know about tone, balance, and latency, and will be watching this forum and Northern Sounds.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
FogVilleLad,

Thanks. I've found info about the Grandtouch at:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/piano/product/europe/gt/gt_m/gt_m.html

The GranTouch GT20 looks like the instrument I'm after.

Previous searches of the web had only turned up the grand piano style models. Now the trick will be to see if a (relatively) local dealer stocks this instrument. Google doesn't reveal much in my country, which is Canada.

Still, I'm quite excited about this. Thanks for the info!

Lawrence

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
There's really no such thing as a "real" action in a digital. The feel is always going to be simulated as you are not actually causing a hammer to hit a string, etc. The keys may be authentic, etc. But at some point, your keystroke is being translated into numbers -- the same numbers that are found on less "real" actions.

My personal opinion is that you're best off not worrying about the specs. Instead, play everything you can. The interaction between the tone module and the action is a tricky thing. You may not end up choosing the most "authentic" option. The good news is that it shouldn't be hard to improve on that Fatar action youv'e been using.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Melodial,

GranTouches sometimes show up lightly used on eBay and Craigslist.

DavidH

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Steve Y,

You put it beautifully, but I'd still go for that Yammy action. There's such a difference in the feel of an acoustic action---even the vertical one on my Bachmann---and that feeling is so much more real and ultimately even more relaxing to play.

DavidH

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Melodial,

Have you tried Yamaha's Silent Upright?

C
C
Yamaha Grantouch GT20 is available in the UK, you could have it shipped to you in Canada?

A proud employee of Yamaha-Kemble Music

(please scan all posts with bias scanner...)
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I have the GranTouch DG2A for night practice, as well as a 6' grand. The GranTouch feels pretty close to the action on smaller Yamaha Grands and I think it might even be better than the small Yamaha uprights. If you plug-in a set of headphones, the keyboard is fairly sensitive and authentic in the sense that slight uneveness in touch becomes fairly apparent. I am not sure digital actions are this sensitive, but I have not played the latest offerings. The sound of the GranTouch is nothing to shout about, but my priority is for an authentic touch.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by SteveY:
There's really no such thing as a "real" action in a digital. The feel is always going to be simulated as you are not actually causing a hammer to hit a string, etc. The keys may be authentic, etc. But at some point, your keystroke is being translated into numbers -- the same numbers that are found on less "real" actions.

My personal opinion is that you're best off not worrying about the specs. Instead, play everything you can. The interaction between the tone module and the action is a tricky thing. You may not end up choosing the most "authentic" option. The good news is that it shouldn't be hard to improve on that Fatar action youv'e been using.
Very good advice, indeed!

Today I played three instruments, and it was amazing just how different they were. So, yes, the bottom line will be how it feels, responds, inspires, sounds etc., which may or may not be "authentic" according to the specs!

One instrument I'm interested was not at the store, and they expect one in by the end-of-the month. At that time I'll comment on my findings.

Lawrence

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Looking forward to your comments.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Melodial,

Nobody would object to your waiting to try that remaining instrument, but I hope that the waiting will not prevent you from posting your impressions of the Virtual Grand;-)

DavidH

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission