2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I currently play keyboard in a rock(ish)cover band, but my electric keyboard does not cut it. Its an old technics keyboard that is not touch sensitive and does not have a weighted keyboard.

Im trying to work out wether I should buy a stage piano with a weighted action or a touch sensitive electric keyboard.

A lot of my playing involves piano, strings, and organ sounds (we tend to play a mix of old music by david bowe, Bob marley, led Zep,cat stevens and the beetles including a few modern songs) but occasionaly I need a few more interesting sounds like trumpets or brass, singing chorus and more synthetic sounds.

Idealy I would like to get a stage piano with a half decent weighted action (I learnt as a pianist) with the range of tones found on an electric keyboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions for what I should look for?

I would not mind playing an unweighted keyboard, but I like the basic utility of a stage piano as opposed to the funky coloured toy nature of many cheaper yamahas with digital displays (that show things like what note you are pushing and how hard you are hitting a key which seems useless to me, even the expensive ones seem to look gimiky) another consideration is do weighted key digital pianos have better piano sounds than an unweighted one?

Bit of a ramble -
basicly I need a good range of sounds that sound primo blasting through a 100+w speakers, and good control over the dynamics.
The ability to expand the repetoir of sounds would be a great bonus. (If it included a sampler I would be a very happy lady but I do not think I have that kind of money)

Any input would be appreciated.

Nikki

S
S
I don't own one yet, but I think I soon will......Roland RD700......try one out. It's not that heavy - 50lbs or so - has nice action, good sounds and is expandable.

OP Offline
Thanks dude

i like a Kawai ESX or either the MP9500 for a more serious board. The roland XP88 is good also.

BC

Estonia 168
Working on Dohnanyi Rhapsody 3
Chopin Ballade 4
I have a Kawai ESX. I am happy with it. -Peter

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
i like a Kawai ESX or either the MP9500 for a more serious board. The roland XP88 is good also.
I assume that you mean the Roland "XV88"??? Great keyboard, but apples-and-oranges when compared to the Kawai.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
Originally posted by SteveY:
I assume that you mean the Roland "XV88"??? Great keyboard, but apples-and-oranges when compared to the Kawai.
One thing to keep in mind -- the Kawai MP9500 is heavy. About 75 pounds. I don't know about the others mentioned.

D
D
Originally posted by Nic:
I currently play keyboard in a rock(ish)cover band, but my electric keyboard does not cut it. Its an old technics keyboard that is not touch sensitive and does not have a weighted keyboard.

Im trying to work out wether I should buy a stage piano with a weighted action or a touch sensitive electric keyboard.

A lot of my playing involves piano, strings, and organ sounds (we tend to play a mix of old music by david bowe, Bob marley, led Zep,cat stevens and the beetles including a few modern songs) but occasionaly I need a few more interesting sounds like trumpets or brass, singing chorus and more synthetic sounds.

Idealy I would like to get a stage piano with a half decent weighted action (I learnt as a pianist) with the range of tones found on an electric keyboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions for what I should look for?

I would not mind playing an unweighted keyboard, but I like the basic utility of a stage piano as opposed to the funky coloured toy nature of many cheaper yamahas with digital displays (that show things like what note you are pushing and how hard you are hitting a key which seems useless to me, even the expensive ones seem to look gimiky) another consideration is do weighted key digital pianos have better piano sounds than an unweighted one?

Bit of a ramble -
basicly I need a good range of sounds that sound primo blasting through a 100+w speakers, and good control over the dynamics.
The ability to expand the repetoir of sounds would be a great bonus. (If it included a sampler I would be a very happy lady but I do not think I have that kind of money)

Any input would be appreciated.

Nikki
Get a Yamaha S90 if you can afford it.It will give you a hammer action and weighted keys which i think anybody who wants the piano as the main instrument should have.You will get the best piano sounds organ sounds and brass sounds and whatever sound you would want,plus expandability and a good controller

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission