2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#659451 04/06/08 03:22 PM
D
D
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
BTW, I believe Windows XP is unable to manage more than 3 GB of memory. So even if your system has more, it won't recognize this.

Don't know whether Vista has this limitation.
I'm not sure of it being a windows xp problem, but infact a motherboard problem

You've been into music for far too long if you tell somebody to shut up by drawing a fermata over the rest in their music.
#659452 04/06/08 03:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
32-bit computers can address only 4 GB of memory unless you resort to trickery. Hardware devices require a part of this space and that's why Windows doesn't let you use the full 4 GB. (In fact, Windows takes up about half the available space for itself, although you can change it to use less.)

#659453 04/07/08 05:31 AM
S
S
As DPs move to more advanced physical modelling they will use more polyphony. An example is sympathetic resonance: hitting a single key no longer just uses two voices - it also triggers notes on all the harmonics. This means each key pressed might need at least 8 voices for the next 3 harmonics

With enough keys pressed, at some stage all strings will be resonating. Does this mean the highest polyphony that you will ever need on a DP is 88x2 = 172 voices?

#659454 04/22/08 05:14 PM
This question was asked, but never really answered. A polyphony limitation is only applicable to a specific piano, correct? If you use a module or software piano, that limitation is gone?

To make a more concrete example, the Casio PX-320 has 128 note polyphony and costs $700. The older Casio PX-310 has only 32-note polyphony. But it only costs $400. So the 310 is more limited than the 320. But if using it only as a controller, it makes no difference, correct?

#659455 04/22/08 06:10 PM
S
S
Originally posted by gusmahler:
This question was asked, but never really answered. A polyphony limitation is only applicable to a specific piano, correct? If you use a module or software piano, that limitation is gone?
Yes, I'm about 99% sure that is the way it works. The polyphony possible is based on the receiving synth engine, not the MIDI controller.

#659456 04/22/08 06:34 PM
W
W
Originally posted by seanakaforty:
Originally posted by gusmahler:
[b] This question was asked, but never really answered. A polyphony limitation is only applicable to a specific piano, correct? If you use a module or software piano, that limitation is gone?
Yes, I'm about 99% sure that is the way it works. The polyphony possible is based on the receiving synth engine, not the MIDI controller. [/b]
Absolutely correct, it is whatever the polyphony limits are of the receiving synth engine. You could of course use a synth for a controller and if you also used it's synth engine for sounds (i.e. local control on) in addition to your receiving synth module/software, then the synth used as a controller can run out of polyphony for it's own generated sounds but will not affect the receiving module/software polyphony. I hope I made that clear enough, let me know if I did not.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
#659457 04/28/08 04:37 AM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
My old old keyboard has 8 generators and was easy to fill up, esp. on 'Pipe Organ' setting that used 2 generators for each key. Easy to have more than 4 keys on, esp. when changing chords. The suppressed tones were unpleasant to hear.

#659458 04/28/08 09:08 AM
K
K
So from what I gather is that ; when it comes to total polyphony being used ; the formula is this: Total Polyphony = layers + features + voices + styles + midi sounds + stereo + chords + individual notes
I might have missed something. How many years now that polyphony has been a feature on Dps? And no company as yet has NOT decided to add to their tiny screen display; "Amount of Polyphony Presently being used in this song " = 47 ? !@!@!$%^%#@!
or " You have presently gone over the polyphony limit, would you like to proceed?" Yes or NO ?

If music be the 'food of love', play on..........
#659459 04/28/08 09:29 AM
W
W
Originally posted by keithos28:
So from what I gather is that ; when it comes to total polyphony being used ; the formula is this: Total Polyphony = layers + features + voices + styles + midi sounds + stereo + chords + individual notes
I might have missed something. How many years now that polyphony has been a feature on Dps? And no company as yet has NOT decided to add to their tiny screen display; "Amount of Polyphony Presently being used in this song " = 47 ? !@!@!$%^%#@!
or " You have presently gone over the polyphony limit, would you like to proceed?" Yes or NO ?
I think the manufacturers have not addressed a readout of how much polyphony is being used is due to the fact that for the average user it is not really an issue. Most people that run out of polyphony do so because they do not realize how to use their equipment properly. I can play all day long on my 32 note polyphony synths and never have an issue, even when using several different sounds at the same time. Based on posts I see in many different forums the biggest issue arises from over use of the sustain pedal. How many notes do you need to sustain while continuing to play new notes? Twelve? Twenty four?? At what point do you have a garbled mass of sound rather than music? I see posts from people all the time that complain they are running out of polyphony when their synth/DP has 128 note polyphony, I think they just need to learn how to use their gear properly. How much polyphony is enough? 256 notes? 512 notes? How much additional are we willing to pay for adding the hardware/software resources to allow monstrous amounts of polyphony?
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
#659460 04/30/08 05:25 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Orez, Even 2 gigs of RAM should be enough for a sampled piano. Some developers are recommending a hard drive that spins at 7200rpm. You might want to check the specs on your new machine.

Re running a software piano, unless your new machine is already spec'd with a soundcard which has a broad dynamic range, you'll need a third-party sound card and either quality external speakers or/and studio-quality headphones, to experience the true quality of your software piano.

When auditioning demo tunes, my ears prefer ones which do not include a lot of reverb and which do include exposed notes played slowly. Demos of the "Let me pump you up" variety may make a strong first impression, but that kind of instrument would quickly get on my nerves.

#659461 05/01/08 06:08 PM
And no company as yet has NOT decided to add to their tiny screen display; "Amount of Polyphony Presently being used in this song " = 47 ? !@!@!$%^%#@!
If I understand correctly, polyphony is constantly changing throughout a song. So your first example doesn't seem very useful. The second example seems downright awful. You expect the synth to stop in the middle of a song to ask?

#659462 05/02/08 04:14 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And no company as yet has NOT decided to add to their tiny screen display; "Amount of Polyphony Presently being used in this song " = 47 ? !@!@!$%^%#@!
Pianoteq, a software piano, does this. I was a little surprised to see that I easily managed to play about 48 tones at the same time just by banging out a few chords. Nothing too fancy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission