2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700GX/features.html

Here is some of what has changed from the old RD-700SX to the new RD-700GX:

1) Improved piano sound

2) New improved electric pianos (vintage Rhodes)

3) “Ivory Feel” keys with Escapement

4) Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature. Comes with Cakewalk Sonar LE software.

5) "Piano Designer" function for editing Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, plus eight multi-effects processors

6) Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality, 4 assignable Zone Level sliders

7) 200 rhythm patterns. Comes with Cakewalk Sonar LE software

The SX had 128 M bytes of wave ROM
The GX has 256 M bytes of wave ROM

The SX had 208 Normal Tones
The GX has 242 "Normal Tones

SX memory : 1 meg
GX memory: 4 meg

From Roland's site:

"Stunning 88-key stereo multi-sampled piano sounds
88-key weighted keyboards: PHA II “Ivory Feel” with Escapement
SuperNATURAL electric pianos for unprecedented realism (VINTAGE RHODES)
Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature
Piano Designer function for creating the perfect custom instruments, plus eight multi-effects processors
Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality

Perfect Piano

The RD-700GX is anchored by Roland’s finest 88-key stereo multisampled piano engine including a brand-new super expressive piano sound, with every note captured using a generous amount of wave capacity. In addition to the super-expressive onboard piano sound-sets, other essential instruments are built into these new pianos, including EPs. You can even customize and save your sounds for instant recall.

Perfect Touch

Your fingers will love the RD-700GX’s top-of-the-line PHA II “Ivory Feel” keyboard with Escapement. This amazing keyboard technology reproduces the real surface feel of ivory acoustic piano keys providing a familiar stability and comfort to the pianist. The keys are designed to absorb moisture, ensuring a secure, slip-proof feel, even in the hottest stage environments where sweaty hands can spell disaster.

SuperNATURAL EP

Another distinguishing feature of the RD-700GX is its electric-piano sound bank derived from Roland’s unique SuperNATURAL technology. Enjoy realism, expression, and control like never before with this special selection of EPs that provide amazingly authentic and organic tonal response.

USB Audio Enhancement

Play audio through the RD-700GX directly from a USB memory key. Flexible file compatibility enables playback of Standard MIDI Files, WAV, AIFF and MP3s. The "Audio Key" feature lets you use the bottom 15 keys for controlling start song, song length, etc. In addition, you can connect directly to a PC via USB and tap into Cakewalk SONAR LE software, included in every RD-700GX package.

Custom Shop

For those who like to get inside an instrument and customize its sounds, the RD-700GX’s Piano Designer feature is your key to unlocking and personalizing the sound-set, down to the smallest details such as Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, and more. In the RD-700GX, sounds can be further customized with the 8 channels of powerful onboard multi-effects.

Sound Expansion, Master Control

Expand and personalize the internal sound-set by adding up to two optional Roland SRX expansion boards, then take your music to the stage. The RD-700GX makes great master controller, thanks to multi-zone functionality and three MIDI outputs.

55 lbs. 2 oz.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did you get one?

Is that before or after the sx?

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My guess is that they are using the FP7/FP4 samples but with a more "generous amount of wave capacity" (less compression) and running it now on a better "sound engine" processor. It will sound more detailed, more present, basically more "realistic". I bet the vintage Rhodes is from the excellent SRX-12 Expansion Board Rhodes, which sampled every note of a Rhodes for the first time, and will also benefit from a more "generous amount of wave capacity" (less compression) and a better "sound engine" processor. It will sound fatter, more detailed, more organic.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow, that looks pretty impressive!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
T
As usual, Roland only gives the most vague description of what is actually improved about the RD-700GX, leaving their fans to guess about the details of the instrument and it's potential. If they ever released any solid comparitive facts about their keyboards they would get a lot more respect from their potential consumers. It makes you wonder what they are ashamed to admit.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here is some of what has changed from the old RD-700SX to the new RD-700GX:

1) Improved piano sound

2) New improved electric pianos (vintage Rhodes)

3) “Ivory Feel” keys with Escapement

4) Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy on stage control with Audio Key feature

5) "Piano Designer" function for editing Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, plus eight multi-effects processors

6) Three MIDI outputs, multiple zones for master-control functionality

The SX had 128 M bytes of wave ROM
The GX has 256 M bytes of wave ROM

The SX had 208 Normal Tones
The GX has 242 "Normal Tones

SX memory : 1 meg
GX memory: 4 meg

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
so, did you purchase one or are you just lusting?

R
R
The 700GX is not availble yet, they just announced it yesterday. I for one cant wait to hear it in action, it looks like a great upgrade. Is there any idea of when it will be available? How long does it typcially take to go from announcement at NAMM to being in the stores?

One site listed a pre-purchase price of $2,395. Seems like at this price it would be nice to have even a small sequencer (like the 3 channel one on the FP-7) but I will trade all bells and whistles for the best piano and E-piano sounds. I always thought Roland has the best piano sound in this class anyway (although I didnt like their Rhodes sounds) but it looks like its going to be even better with this new board.

The specs say 200 rhythm patterns, does this mean there is a rhythm or drum machine included? or at least a metronome? The announcement doesnt mention anything.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Roger,

200 rhythm patterns must mean they are play-along drum patterns and not a programmable "drum machine". I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how great the new Rhodes in the RD-700SX will sound. The new Rhodes samples are based on some that actually debuted in 2007 in their SRX-12 Expansion Card. The excellent Rhodes samples in the SRX-12 raised the bar and became the best sounding vintage Rhodes samples currently available in hardware.

rtc

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Interesting report from the NAMM Show, written by "burningbusch"

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbth...PSESSID=a85d120bad8f2dc76a6a7ea8cf9915e6

"I saw/heard the new RD-700GX at NAMM. Here's my take on it and the RD300GX.

The 700 has three 88-note fully sampled ac pianos. The new piano is sampled from a Hamburg Steinway and is referred to as "Expressive piano" (or something like that). The 700 retains the other pianos from the RD700SX, i.e. the NY Steinway (SRX-11, etc.) and the Yamaha. The Hamburg sounds ruch and full. It would definately work for solo. Might just be great for jazz trio as well. It doesn't have the cut-through brightness of the NY Steinway.

The Piano Designer feature seems to allow a bit more editing of the piano sounds than was previously available, but this isn't a new feature.

I think the EPs on the RD700SX have to potential to be fantastic. The RD700GX does not have ARX slots (it does have two SRX) but it has the ARX-02 builtin. You have the same control over parameters as the Fantom G, but without the graphic interface. Roland, I believe, is using a combination of sampling and modeling. The EPs sounded too accurate to my ear to be fully modelled. But the great thing is you can do some extremely neat fine tuning such as the closeness of the tine to the pickup, the position of the tine, etc. which allows you to get some very important musical control over the sound that you simply can't get by ordinary filters/EQ. You can shoose from one of ten EPs which include a number Rhodes and a Wurly. It also includes a Dyno Rhodes.

I love the "Ivory Feel" touch. I first played it on one of the HP pianos at last years NAMM and have raved about it since. It is very seductive. Roland does not use wood keys but they do use a two piece substructure which they claim has many of the same benefits (without the additional weight). I have a Slimline Clavinova which has wood keys but plastic feel tops. I would MUCH rather have the RD700GX Ivory Feel over the Yamaha. You fingers are touching the "Ivory Feel" all the time where as the wood substructure is more subtle.

The RD300GX gains the NY Steinway sample and I believe, it has the sample sample set as the RD700SX. The RD700GX has 256MB of ROM while the RD300GX has 128MB. They have both doubled in size. 256MB of ROM for a stage piano is unheard of. Also, the RD700GX allows for eight FXs across the four zones so you're not going to be compromising sound as you develop large splits/layers. The size of ROM and number of simultaneous FXs is in the same ballpark as many ROMplers.

The Mod level is improved. Previously it had an extremely short throw and was basically a switch. The new levers (on both) are now like the synths. Also some new switches have been added.

The RD300GX gains the new action, NY Steinway and other new sounds. It now allows for three zones and the display is a very nice improvement. Weight is up a few pounds.

These are extremely nice improvements to these stage pianos. The RD700GX has a build quality second to none."

S
SSB Offline
S
I think that Roland are making some progress, but here are a few things they haven't done that I think they should:

* cut the weight, 25kg is alot to lug about
* cut the length, the addition of the wheel on the end makes the unit about 10cm longer than it need be
* give the piano the same screen as the Fantoms - quicker access to tweaks, piano editing, EP mods etc
* improve the implementation of MFX effects - dual effects, should be a cinch to set up but instead we get menu heck
* give us 9 sliders which can function as the drawbars - the four slider set-up is disappointing
* make it easier to transpose each of the four zones independently
* dump the majority of the filler sounds and devote more wave memory to the piano sounds

User ratings are the work of the devil [Linked Image]
T
T
Interesting report from the NAMM Show, written by "burningbusch"

"I saw/heard the new RD-700GX at NAMM. Here's my take on it and the RD300GX.

The 700 has three 88-note fully sampled ac pianos. The new piano is sampled from a Hamburg Steinway and is referred to as "Expressive piano" (or something like that). The 700 retains the other pianos from the RD700SX, i.e. the NY Steinway (SRX-11, etc.) and the Yamaha. "
Finally we know Roland's deep dark piano sample secret... they sample Steinway and YAMAHA pianos. The only official statement Roland has ever said about what pianos they sample has been "multiple brands" and some people (namely rintincop) have been beating the "Roland samples Steinways" thing into the ground. I suspected they also sampled pianos from their competitor Yamaha but had no basis until now, assuming that "burningbusch" got his info from Roland's reps because Roland prolly still won't admit it officially. I doubt if rintincop will admit it officially either, but at least we have his post now to quote from.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The feature that lets you play mp3, wave and midi files will also let you also them down or speed them up without changing the pitch.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Did they introduce any new SRX cards?

Andrew
S
SSB Offline
S
No, just two ARX cards as far as I can see - aimed at the new Fantoms.

User ratings are the work of the devil [Linked Image]
R
R
hey, the 700GX owners manual is now posted online at Roland webiste.

On another forum, someone said that Roland usually puts the manuals on the website 4 to 6 weeks before the keyboards become available. So, things are finally moving, I cant wait to really hear this thing in action (the video they posted from NAMM wasnt nearly good enough).

I still have a few questions, in case anyone has answers.

1. The 700GX comes with the supernatural e-keyboards built-in which I think is the same as the ARX expansion board in the new Fantom G8 (true?). Are these built-in sounds different/better then the SRX ultimate keys and classic E-pianos SRX expansion cards (SRX-07 and -12)? Not clear on how all the different sounds compare.

2. The 700GX doesnt have a metronome but does have 200 bult-in rhythm patterns. I havent read the manual carefully yet but hopefully these patters can be adjusted to function as some kind of metronome.

anyway, seems like the 700GX should be available soon. I cant wait. I was going to get an FP-7 but am holding out for this board.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission