2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Wanted to get your opinions on which player piano systems you think are the best, and why. I carry PianoDisc at my store and it seems to offer a very good reproduction of a player's performance. I've heard it is one of the original systems out there. I've heard that Disklavier is a very good system, too, but am not sure as to why. Thanks for your help.

I worked in a piano store that had both disklavier and pianodisc. Maybe my opinion was biased because the disklavier was on a better piano than the pianodisc. Yamaha vs. Kohler & Campbell. I liked the interface of the disklavier: the handheld, touch-screen, pda-like thing. Also, the disklaviers could record, but I guess there must be some pianodiscs that do this. The disklavier had internal midi sounds that could be triggered along with the piano sound, so piano+bass or piano+strings was possible.
I don't remember specs, but I think the disklavier has more levels or velocity control than the pianodisc. It also has key release velocity, which I am pretty sure pianodisc does not. Also key depth is measured, I don't know if pianodisc does this. Then there is the disklavier Pro, which has about 10 times the level of detail as the disklavier. I don't think the pianodisc comes close.

I was told having any player system installed changes the action. While this may be acceptable on a lesser instrument, I wouldn't consider screwing around with a Steinway. i liked the action on the disklaviers though. It seemed like a normal Yamaha feell.

working on:
Goldberg Variations
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In the near future, there is another system that will be on the market, and will probably have the the best quality playback that has ever come from a retro-fit system. I am having it installed on my 1925 M&H BB. It's by Wayne Stahnke and it's called "LX". Wayne Stahnke was with Yamaha/Diklavier as a consultant for many years. He is also the inventor of the Bosendorfer SE system. Several great recordings exist of this SE system. The way this LX system reproduces is beyond description, it's that good, and it plays like the SE. Once this hits the market, the other companies will be playing catch up. There has never been a retro-fit kit up until now, that plays this well. It has proportional pedaling, with over 340 levels. Each key solenoid has over 1,000 levels from ppp to fff.

The Brodmann Piano will also have the same system pre-installed in their piano, it's called the "Concerto".

If I were in the market and looking for one of the best player systems out there, I would go with the LX, hands down. In a few weeks, I will have my BB at home here, and will post some recordings and vid clips so you can see and hear for yourself. smile

F
F
Does anyone know where to find the Stahnkd LX player systems? I've checked Google and many dealer sites and I can find any information. Dealers in south Jersey or Austin, TX would be best for me. But any information would be beneficial.

P.S. I've been lurking the site for several days now and truly appreciate the education you guy (gals) provide. THANKS!

Fred R.
Are there any systems that have network capability so I can just pull stuff directly from my laptop? How about WiFi?

- Benton Jackson. Permanent piano novice.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6
W
W
I'm also extremely interested in getting more information about the Stahnke LX system. I'm in the market now for a parlour grand and would prefer not to limit my search to just Yamaha's in order to get the benefit of the superior Disklavier technology.

John, how about those clips and videos you promised? I saw the announcement for your grand unveiling. Was it as amazing as you hoped?

I'm quite excited about the Brodmann's Concerto system, but I am unable to find out when it'll be released or is there a working model, audio/ video clip showing a working Concerto?

Can anyone enlighten me when it'll be available?

Regards
Young L.

Brodmann BG 187 (2008) and Yamaha U1 (2006)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wayt, Yes, I posted some zoom recordings and pics I made of my newly rebuilt RBB here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/19681.html

This LX system (Brodmann Concerto, same thing) is incredible...it's safe to say it's one of the best playback, if not THE best playback system on the market, and it's a retro-fit system, meaning it can go into any piano. The price for an LX is way below what you would have to pay to get the same quality/level of playback in the other high end systems...I don't think they could even come close! Just take a listen to the Earl Wild and Dick Hyman mp3's I made, and you can see why I am overboard for this system.

For the Brodmann Concerto playback system, I would contact Brodmann directly, or, send an email to Wayne Stahnke at www.live-performance.com and try to find out when they will be releasing the Concerto system.

Stahnke LX recordings:

http://www.box.net/shared/fc0ras0pyl (Earl Wild plays Chopin) ( my dog contributes a bark during this recording)

http://www.box.net/shared/jz6n6vuuth (Dick Hyman plays Fats Waller I )

http://www.box.net/shared/eku3uub2jn (Dick Hyman Plays Fats Waller II

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
John - very impressive! Congratulations on your amazing instrument. I hope to hear an LX system inperson some day - maybe I can make it to the next NAAM.

regards

JG
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jurgen...it really is quite an impressive instrument, especially in person. smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You might like to check out PianoDisc's new Piano Video HD (Hi-Def) product. I recorded two projects for this recently: a Beethoven and a Chopin/Liszt set. I am always impressed with PianoDisc, and have recorded several projects for them. Their product continues to expand and get better all of the time.

Originally posted by GoatRider:
Are there any systems that have network capability so I can just pull stuff directly from my laptop? How about WiFi?
The Disklavier MkIV with version 2.0 software lets you do filesharing over a network and gives you direct Internet access for downloading files and live streaming ("Disklavier Radio")

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas Music Services
Service Engineer - Hybrid Pianos & Strings
M
M
Info on the Stahnke Live Performance LX system is up now at http://www.live-performance.com .

G
G

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
L
L
I have just purchased what is probably the last piano I will ever buy--a Yamaha C-7 from an Austin, TX Yamaha dealer. Since it has no player system installed and Yamaha does not allow its dealers to install their system after the piano leaves the factory, I am wondering how I might get an LX system installed here in Austin. My local dealer apparently is ignorant of this new product--he is pushing the PianoDisc--at least this is the only system for which he had any information. Any thoughts?

Last edited by linnr; 12/02/09 07:27 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Linnr,

I would go to the LX website, www.live-performance.com and send a msg to Mr.Stahnke and ask if there are any LX installers in or near your area. If not, another possibility would be to have an installer travel to you to install it. http://www.live-performance.com/contact.html

In my opinion it would be well worth it to go the extra mile in getting an LX. There is nothing else on the market like it, and the playback quality is superb. I have the very first one on the market, and it is incredible! smile

Last edited by grandpianoman; 12/04/09 01:43 AM.
G
G
Send your YAMAHA C7 to us.

Jeff

Grand Piano Haus

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission