2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
keyplyr Offline OP
OP Offline
K
While academically a music scale is a music scale, many players use the term "Jazz scale" to refer those used most often in the composition or playing of Jazz music. Scales that contain the "blue notes" (b3, b5, b7) will often be used in Jazz but it is more of HOW the scale is used which interestes the Jazz player. Here are two charts that may be helpful:

Common Jazz Scales
Common Piano Scales

If you dig Jazz visit
http://www.apassion4jazz.net
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, unfortunately I think there are jazz scales. Sometimes I wish there weren't - Jarrett (whose playing I like very much generally) uses those blues scales and chords to death at times. That particular sound, in conjunction with a ten minute ostinato on one chord gets very monotonous after a while and I reach the stage where I push the CD on a bit. Fortunately he redeems himself with some passages of overwhelming beauty using augmented harmony (A,C#,F,G# - whatever that chord's called) - luscious, because he doesn't overuse it.

Variety is the keynote. Rules are for fools.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
K
K
IMO, that jazz scales chart leaves out a couple of very important ones, namely the so-called "be-bop" scale, which is a major scale with both 7ths, and the Lydian b7 scale. In addition, I personally find it much more useful to think of the diminished scale as starting with the 1/2 step, rather than the whole. In that way a dominant-function chord with the same root/tonic is supplied with all the usual extension tones, i.e. b9, +9, #11, 13 and b7.

Ken
K
keyplyr Offline OP
OP Offline
K
jazz scales chart leaves out... the Lydian b7 scale. - Ken

Thanks - Yes, I did leave it out. Might just put it in now that you mention it - LOL. It is included in the Virtual Piano under Lydian Minor.

<added> Now that I actually looked, that isn't the scale you are referring to either (or is it?) </added>

In what context would you find use for the Lydian b7, and would you use the complete scale, or pieces of it?

If you dig Jazz visit
K
K
keyplr -

No it's not Lydian minor, but that chart DOES show "Lydian Dominant" which is the same as whag I was talking about. It's basically a dominant scale, and has that b5/#11 sound if you want it. As far as how I use it, in many ways. It's a good pattern - or motive group - generator if you don't let it get too cliched sounding, and with slight alterations works in a large variety of major dominant type situations. Not as minor sounding as the diminshed scale.

Ken
K
keyplyr Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So Ken, if I understand you correctly, you feel that the Lydian Dominant scale that's included in the Common Piano Scales chart has significance to also be included in the Common Jazz Scales ?

I guess I just didn't understand what you meant by "Lydian b7" Thanks

If you dig Jazz visit
K
K
keyplyr -

Yes, you understand me correctly! I consider it a "basic" or essential "jazz scale." The be-bop scale is cool too, since it's designed to fill beats more symmetrically than typical septatonic scales.

Ken
K
keyplyr Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for your input Ken; I have indeed added the two scales. I'm sure many players will appreciate the addition.

If you dig Jazz visit

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission