2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hi, folks:

Is anyone familiar with this (apparently obscure) work by Carl Orff? Not sure if I even have the title right and since I don't speak German I may have just typed some sort of obscenity... smile

This is a series of very rhythmic, simple tunes, heavy on xylophone, drums, flutes, etc. I heard a piece of it recently in a car commercial on TV.

I'm trying to find a copy of it on CD and don't have the patience to wade through the gazillion versions of Carmina Burana to find this without knowing the real name.

Thanks for any help! (I need it for a daughter's dance concert.)

Nina

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Nina,

I think perhaps you've confused the title of Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder" (Songs on the death of children)with Orff's Musik fur Kinder from the Schulwerk, which does matches your description. Likely as not, you'll find what your looking for (or a good approximation) on "Orff-Schulwerk Volume 1: Musica Poetica". Here's a link to Amazon.com, you'll find some audio clips to listen on the website. Hope this helps with your search.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...=1-16/ref=br_lf_m_16/107-3465295-7079744

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Nina,

netizen is right.
And btw: I am German and I assure you you haven't typed an obscenity in writing "Kindertotenleider" instead of "Kindertotenlieder". laugh
If I remember correctly, Mahler wrote this cycle of songs (i.e. Lieder) after many ( I believe it was 6) of his children died within a very short time.

Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Netizen and Nici--

It's definitely an Orff composition that I am looking for, not the Mahler, so I'll try your suggestions and give it a listen.

I'm relieved to know I haven't offended all the German speakers on this forum!

Thanks again
Nina

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Nici:
Hi Nina,
If I remember correctly, Mahler wrote this cycle of songs (i.e. Lieder) after many ( I believe it was 6) of his children died within a very short time.

Mahler had only two children: Maria (b.1902) and Anna (b.1904). Three of the Kindertotenlieder were written in 1901, the other two were written in 1904. They were written to poems of Ruckert, not to Mahler's own poems. Ruckert, however, did lose both his own children, and that was the inspiration, no doubt, for the poems.

Mahler's elder child did not die until 1907, long after Mahler had completed all five settings of the Ruckert poems. However, the poems - and, hence, Mahler's songs - may have evoked in Mahler the memory of the loss of members of his own family, eight of whom were siblings who died in infancy or childhood.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission