2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#654724 10/21/01 01:17 AM
SR Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Heres another topic as silly as favorite symphony because it's just to hard to choose. I can't even pick my favorite Mozart Concerto. So how about this for a question. Lets pretend you have the chops to play any concerto and you have the opportunity to perform with the NY Phil in Carnegie Hall, and it's the only time you'll ever get to do it. What concerto would you then choose ?

I would have to go with Mozart #20.

Steve

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Rachmaninov 2nd... the most beautiful yet electriying thing i have ever heard...

and also:
Ravel G Major (esp the Adagio assai)
Chopin F Minor
Tchaikovsky 1st

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brahms no. 2

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Amy Offline
A
I think that I'd agree with Magnezium with Rach's 2nd. But I also LOVE the Grieg, which is one that I will probably start learning soon) and Mozart #21, Schumann, and Saint-Saens #2. I would really like to hear Ravel. I've heard some mentions of it recently. Does anyone know where I can listen to it online without downloading anything?

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
Yes, Rachmaninoff's 2nd is amazing. I like Rach 3 better.

A
A
Beethoven's #4

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It took all my willpower to narrow it down to 18 Concertos, but here goes:

Mozart #20, 21, 23 & 24.

Beethoven: All five but especially #4.

Brahms: Love #2 & I sorta like #1.

Rachmaninoff: All five (the four concertos + the Paganini Rhapsody), but especially #3.

Prokofiev: #2 & #3

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
A
A
Tchaikovsky 1st is my absolute favorite.

Then... Ravel in G Major, Shostakovich 3rd, Prokofiev 3rd, Chopin 2nd (ahh... the 2nd movement...) and many more.

"People who love music love it everyday. Ask anyone. They have a passion for it, and passion don't leave you alone."--James Conlon
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Amy, you have absolutely got to hear the Ravel G. You could probably get an MP3 file from Audiogalaxy, KaZaa, Morpheus or some other MP3 sharing community. Or if you have ICQ, I could send you a copy...

A
Amy Offline
A
hmmmm....I don't know if I have ICQ. Do you have to download the mp3 stuff?

-Amy-
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
yeah the MP3 stuff will require quite some downloading. first you will have to download the program (eg. Audiogalaxy/Kazaa/Morpheus), which will allow you to download the MP3 file of the music itself.

It's much less tedious to get a CD... smile

G
G
Mozart N. 23.

A
Amy Offline
A
Ok so here is my deal currently with piano concertos....
I am going to learn one to play in a concerto competition with a symphony that I am in. They usuually pick 2 or 3 people to play in the concert. I've been considering playing the Grieg but I found out yesterday that another person also wants to audition with that. I don't know if I should still do it. Also, I was thinking of the Saint-Saens #2 but it was played 3 years ago by someone. Should I scratch those 2 and pick a new one? Any suggestions of ones that are somewhat similar to those? I want either a romantic or 20th century one that is kind of a big bang. I don't play that kind of music often and I'm feeling the need to! : )

-Amy-
S
S
I have played several of the Mozart's including No. 20 and I have to say my personal fav is No. 22. However, with the exception of Amadeus where it got a nice little showcase, it seems regrettably overlooked among the biggies like Nos. 20, 21, 27 and/or "Jeunehomme." Any ideas why?

I also love the Schumann (though it may have actually been written by Clara Schumann instead of Robert!)

S
S
hey amy, i know you want romantic or modern but have you considered the bach d minor??? great piece that, and very accessible for student concerto competetions, of course assuming that it is for a student competetion...

otherwise, what about one of the prokofiev concertos, or perhaps the MacDowell?

me, personally, i'm still a fan of Mozart!

shawn

A
Amy Offline
A
Shawn-
I tend to play Bach and Mozart much worse than the romantic and contemporary pieces. That is why I don't want to do one. I'm trying to get better at them by playing some of their pieces but for a concerto I think that it would be better not to do a bach or Mozart. I'm not too bad at Beethoven though.
Today I got a hold of a bunch of scores of concertos....
Kabalevsky #3, Tschaikowsky in Bb minor, Rainbow Concerto by Kenneth Kimes (I've never heard of this one), Shostakovich concertino Op.94, Shostakovich #2, and I also got an excerpt book that has Anton Rubinstein concerto in d, Schumann a, Grieg, Chopin e minor, MacDowell d minor, Rach #2,and Beethoven #5.
Which ones of those sound good? What others should I look at besides the Ravel?

-Amy-
S
S
hey amy, try out the MacDowell, and the Schumann. i would be skittish about playing one of the Rach. concertos as a student... but then that is just me. don't know a thing about that rainbow concerto. sounds interesting. certainly seems like a good choice from the non-standard repertoire stand point. did you listen to any of the prokofiev concertos? they are very nice and, although modern, they are certainly not a HUGE stretch tonally.

how old are you and where are you in school? what was the last solo piece that you completed?

hope some of this has been of help. laugh

shawn

A
Amy Offline
A
Shawn:
I wasn't planning on doing a Rachmaninoff. I just don't have big enough hands for that! : ) I'll definatly consider the MacDowell and the Schumann. I just wish that I could find a recording of the MacDowell. I really want to hear how it fits together with an orchestra before I decide. I am 16 and a junior in highschool. In a couple weeks, I will be performing "Reflections in the Water" from Debussy's Image 1.

-Amy-
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Amy,

MacDowell No.2 in D minor should be ideal for competition. I personally advise against using Schumann, Grieg or Saint-Saens No.2 simply these were almost always used by several competitors at the same competition. Unless you're so sure you're head and shoulders above & beyond everyone else I'd say leave these few alone. MacDowell No.2 has been recorded at least by the following artists whose CDs are available:

V. Cliburn
E. List
A. Watts

Another real nice romantic concerto is that of Scriabin in F# minor, Op.20. This is a real beauty, my all time favorite.

Rgds,
AndrewG

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'd like to amend my short list by another one:

MacDowell Two Piano Concerti
Prutsman (Piano)
Label-NAXOS 8.559049

Price: $5.99

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission