2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#650737 06/11/07 04:10 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Today I read this confused :
Piano tuners will also need to adapt to these changes. All pianos will be self-tuning, so income from tuning will decrease. However, pianos in tune 100% of the time will need to be voiced more frequently, and how hammers are made and voiced will need to change. It is not that today's pianos do not need voicing just as much, but when the strings are in perfect tune, any deterioration of the hammer becomes the limiting factor to sound quality. Piano tuners will finally be able to properly regulate and voice pianos instead of just tuning them; they can concentrate on the quality of the piano sound, instead of just getting rid of dissonances. Since the new generation of more accomplished pianists will be aurally more sophisticated, they will demand better sound and keyboard touch. The greatly increased number of pianos and their constant use will require an army of new piano technicians to regulate and repair them.
Do you think this is going to happen?
I took it from here:
http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book.php5?page=sect_01_04_06_04

#650738 06/11/07 05:12 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
There are pianos 100 years old that are being restored. The money is not going to be spent to make all pianos self tuning. The heated of the wire trick by electricity has it's flaws too. Would you rather pay extra for the self tuning capabilities and still have to pay a technician to service and upgrade that system or hire a tuner every 6 months. The cost would appear to work out the same.
I don't see it happening yet. It would seem that it would be applied to guitars first. There are far less strings involved.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#650739 06/11/07 05:44 PM
If you read through the site, I think it becomes clear that this is the opinion of one individual as opposed to the consensus of a group. It doesn't mean he's wrong, but it also does not make for a guaranteed outcome.

My 2¢ smile

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter
#650740 06/11/07 07:29 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Don Gilmore has come up with a device that can be added during the manufacturing process to make the piano 'self tuning'

He is a member here, and goes by the name eromolignod

QRS music was going to manufacture this into their pianos, but haven't. It's been several years now, and none of these devices have been manufactured into their pianos, save I believe one prototype which Mr Gilmore owns.

More recently, he claims to have been very close with another manufacture to striking a deal, yet later expressed some frustration with them as well.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
#650741 06/11/07 08:25 PM
R
rkw Offline
R
Techs have been talking (or worrying) about this for decades. Can a machine be invented that knows how to effectively:

1. Set the pitch,
2. Set the strings,
3. Set the pins,
4. Tell when certain pins cannot be set properly and adjust technique accordingly, and
5. Employ technique to minimize string breakage?

What am I forgetting? Oh well. I just do not think that you can take the piano tuner/tech out of the equation and maintain good, stable tuning quality.

Unfortunately, some (perhaps many) piano owners do not know when a piano is really in tune and holding its tune. So such a machine, if developed, would still find its niche in the market whether it works properly or not. Consequently, tuning market share could drop.

However, I do agree with Keith that if such becomes available, a new opportunity will have been created, and the consumer will still pay the tech for some manner of related services.

#650742 06/12/07 06:59 AM
It's not a threat to tuners. If you want to own such piano, how much would you be paying for it? Only a very small percentage of piano buyers will be able to afford it. The rest will go traditional.

JUNMER

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
#650743 06/12/07 07:41 AM
R
rkw Offline
R
Good point, junmer. It'll cost a bundle.

#650744 06/12/07 08:46 AM
M
OP Offline
M
The price is not the point.
Because the same happened with the record players, the TV, the computers , the internet etc… First they were expensive then the price dropped and they became affordable.
I think the problem is somewhere else.
The people are not conscious enough about the need of tuning,
The programs in the music schools, the music teachers, the music books, the whole music education has to point the need of maintaining the piano regularly (like people maintain their cars, their houses, their …wives…) and the importance of the well tuned (regulated, voiced etc.) piano for the performer (sound, touch.) and the enjoinment of the music.
People treat the piano like a sofa…. The piano is something special, it brings you to another world, it adds magic to the everyday life.
And the tuning (the tuner) is part of this magic laugh

#650745 06/12/07 11:03 AM
Hi guys:

I'm Don Gilmore, the inventor of the self-tuning piano. I guess I should update everyone on how it is going.

I had a contract with QRS/Story & Clark to develop and build the STP for several years. They basically sat on the technology and never developed it, ostensibly due to other projects and cash flow, and their contract has now expired. I also spent a year fooling around with Steinway, Petrof and Estonia, who, as with other manufacturers, want desperately to eat the pie, but don't want to help bake it.

So I have decided to take my final royalty payment from QRS and apply it to literally designing and building the production prototype myself (part of my final royalty was to give me a S&C Prelude grand which will be converted). Now that the ball is finally in my court, I have made leaps and bounds in the design and construction.

I have integrated all the electronics to a single, small circuit board that controls everything. This board is being soldered up right now and I expect it this week. I have coils coming for all the sustainer modules and will test them this week too. Hopefully by next week I'll be ready to re-string and get the whole thing going at once and start work trying to minimize the tuning time. Accuracy is not a concern as it is ungodly already.

I have decided that it would be a good idea to include all the bells and whistles in the prototype. It will have an LCD readout that allows the pianist to choose a temperament as well as a scale center (A440, A442, etc.). It will also have the option of allowing a field tuning where a technician can flip a switch (actually a key switch), tune the piano, then flip the switch back...the piano will now repeat this new tuning. Of course it will also have a "factory tuning", which is an actual manual tuning done at the factory and stored (in this case by my personal tech here in town). I may even include a remote control fob (which is easy to add), to appeal to the "gimmick" crowd.

There have been many improvements since it was originally publicized in the NY Times, NPR Radio, etc. I can't tell you all the new and different features until I apply for my second patent, but I will try to answer any questions you might have about the system. I hope to have it ready to show by the end of the summer and I'll be sure to post videos at that time.

Don A. Gilmore
Kansas City

#650746 06/12/07 11:06 AM
M
OP Offline
M
What do you do to spread this? (it's related to my post above- the need of regular piano mentenance)
How do you "educate" the piano owners?

#650747 06/12/07 11:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Don Gilmore, thank you for your updating!
Will be there some job for the tuners while people will use your pianos?

#650748 06/12/07 11:55 AM
Hi Margarita:

New pianos are being manufactured at a rate now of about a million a year or so. They can last for over a hundred years. That gives you an idea of how many pianos are out there already. I would be tickled to death to put my system into even 1% of those new pianos. That gives you an idea of how long it would be until all pianos have the system (in other words: never).

The system itself will also require adjustment and service from time to time, just like any other device...and guess who's probably going to be doing the service!

Don
Kansas City

#650749 06/12/07 01:14 PM
Since you have made the piano fully computerized, will it be the computer technicians who will do the regular service?

We only have tuning hammers & mutes.

JUNMER

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
#650750 06/12/07 01:49 PM
Actually I have tried as much as possible to make sure that it is tech-friendly. I realize that most techs are more of a craftsman than a computer-geek. I myself am a mechanical engineer by trade, so I too am resistant to nerd-oriented electronic gadgetry. I'm for keeping things simple.

For the most part I have made most components easily adjustable and/or replaceable.

If a sustainer isn't working, for example, it is simple to adjust it with a screwdriver. If it is faulty or damaged, then it can be removed and unplugged with a single screw and a new one plugged in. The adjustment is simple and mechanical and is similar to the adjustments that a tech already performs on the action parts.

There really isn't much to it. Though the LCD readout may seem high-tech, all you're really doing is picking a set of numbers that the system uses to tune by, as previously stored from an actual tuning. The tuning is produced by passing electricity through the string. You either have juice or you don't, so it should be relatively easy to troubleshoot.

All the system really is, is a device to record tunings and play them back.

Don
Kansas City

#650751 06/12/07 11:08 PM
R
rkw Offline
R
Thanks, Don, for this info. Sounds fascinating. Look forward to seeing the real thing in action one day.

#650752 06/15/07 05:11 AM
Eromlignod:

How does this device set the pins, and how does it exert sufficient force to turn them? Also if we're talking about newer pianos the pitch drop over a short time is substantial. How does electricity raise the pitch enough to be up to 440 etc. B

Studio TUNER, technician and consultant with 30yrs exp. Part time broker. (323)666-4007
#650753 06/15/07 06:19 AM
F
F
I read about this somewhere a while ago, some magazine or other I think - it`s exciting to have the inventor here!

your idea is ingenious - how do you stop the temperature in the cabinet creeping up really high?

Will
#650754 06/15/07 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ben G:
Eromlignod:

How does this device set the pins, and how does it exert sufficient force to turn them? Also if we're talking about newer pianos the pitch drop over a short time is substantial. How does electricity raise the pitch enough to be up to 440 etc. B
Hi Ben:

It doesn't. The pins don't even come into play. There are no moving parts to this system and the pins are never turned, or even touched.

A small amount of electrical current is passed through the string. The string is made of steel, which has resistance, so it will get warm if current is passed through it. When steel gets warm, it expands. When a string expands, its tension decreases. Lower tension means lower pitch.

The piano is tuned by hand at the factory while the strings are warm. So in the field, they can be warmed even more, or allowed to cool, to tune the string. So, you can see, actually the piano is sharp when the system is switched off. So you are flattening the strings to pitch when it is on.

The temperatures involved are only about body temperature or so.

Don
Kansas City

#650755 06/15/07 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Fraggle:
I read about this somewhere a while ago, some magazine or other I think - it`s exciting to have the inventor here!

your idea is ingenious - how do you stop the temperature in the cabinet creeping up really high?
Hi Will:

I'll try to answer your question without getting too arcane in my details.

Each string must be maintained at a specific temperature to remain perfectly in tune. This means that heat is added (by electrical current) to the string at a rate that equalizes how much heat it is losing by naturally trying to cool to room temperature. So if its surroundings are cold, it takes more current to maintain it at temperature. Likewise, a higher ambient temperature requires less current. It's true that an ordinary heating element will get hotter if confined, but in our case, the element temperature is being thermostatically controlled, so string temperature is maintained regardless of conditions.

The string is constantly being maintained at a temperature *greater* than its surroundings. So the temperature of the surrounding air must always be less than that of the warmest string, which is limited to a safe range.

I hope I answered your question.

Don
Kansas City

#650756 06/15/07 12:03 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess people who do like to get arcane in the details can read the patent . laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission