2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
rkw, it's nice you agree with me..seems techs in US and Poland have the same expierience. yes, pianist usually use non technician terms to describe what they want...we , techs, have to translate it to a technician language. and that's the point.. It's our work to understand needs of the player.. the same with regulation of action and keyboard..every piano-player like other kind of regulation..we have to make it like they want...sometimes it's not easy...the most important thing is to understand player needs

R
rkw Offline
R
adek: It's a little off the subject but one dealer in my area, International Brokers, imports many rebuilds from Poland. These are the finest I've seen anywhere, both in technical and casework. May I ask which rebuilder you work for? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

A
A
rkw, of course I can say who I work for. I work for SAP Renovation firm, generally for them, but for others too. But SAP renovates many grand pianos for US market, more then others companies from Poland. I think, the rebuilds you've seen were probably made by me. or one of my friends I work with. And, I have to say, it's very nice too read what you've written above. Thanks. I've had a possibillity to talk with daelers from US, some of them were in Poland, in SAP Renovation. And they've been happy of our work. I can't tell you names, becouse I don't know if those people wish to. What mark of rebuilds you've seen? Steinway?

R
rkw Offline
R
Thank you, adek. The Polish rebuilds I serviced were: several Bechsteins, a couple of Bluthners, and one Hamburg Steinway that was virtually remanufactured. All were of the highest quality in every respect. Keep up the great work!

A
A
Thank you. hmm, no Bosendorfer? our company sells every year on Namm trades Bechsteins, Steinways and Bosendorfers. and Bluthners too. and all of them with thrid pedal, sostenuto pedal.Steinways usually have one, but others don't. we make a convertion from 2 pedal lyra to 3 pedals. and, I think, the Steinway you servicing is a convertion from pianola to modern Steinway action with new keyboard. isn't it? have you ever heard about SAP renovation company? it's the largest renovating pianos and grand pianos company in Europe. hahha..if our work is so good, I think we will go to US to work for you hahha..joking of course..but..who knows ..

R
rkw Offline
R
Yes, the dealer had a Bosendorfer rebuild from Poland, but I retired before I could service that one. I do not recall the history behind the rebuilt Hamburg Steinway. It could have been a conversion. Yes, in my view, you certainly could teach some USA rebuilders (myself included) how to improve their work.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
When I started in the music business, I worked for an old family owned (not my family) music store north of Boston (started in 1896).

Raymond Curtis was the son of the original owner, and was in his 70's when I started there.
He had worked in the Chickering factory, and trained as a tuner/tech.

He forgot more about pianos than I'll ever know, and was a master at tuning and action work.

He couldn't play.

His son-in-law, George Cole eventually took over the business. George was a graduate of North Bennett Street, and a highly respected piano tuner / technician.
I think he knew 4, maybe 5 basic pieces.

But he sure knew his intervals, and beats, and overtones, and how to smooth the unisons, and how to set let-off, key dip, back checks, dampers, etc.

He tuned for many professionals, including concert artists.

For that matter, so have I. And everyone that's been to a forums party knows my playing is pretty much limited to rock n' roll and the blues.

My point?

I don't believe it is a pre-requisite for a good tuner, tuner-technician to be a pianist.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Frank,

Pheewwww ...

I can't play the piano,

so glad to hear there is hope ...

Larry

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
A
A
I can't play piano too.. But I know my work and pianist expecations...I don't need to play piano to feel the touch of it.. rkw, I don't think I could teach you... I'm sure we are the same quality technicians

R
rkw Offline
R
adek: I may have the advantage inasmuch as I've seen both your work and mine. Believe me. I could learn much from you.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I agree that playing the piano helps but no, voicers do not have to be able to play other than at a begineer level. Tuning requires more of a playing ability. To voice one only plays one note at a time. So the extent to which a voicer has to play the piano is to perfect the playing of one note or a sequence of notes. Eric the CA tech for S&S can do a chromatic scale that would make the finest classical pianist jealous. Comparing volume levels or aurally separating a note into it's partials is not helped by being able to play Rach or Bach. I wanted to show my mentor the RCT pianalyzer and he asked, what, to confirm what I'm hearing? He then picked a note, #26, last bass, and said this one has a screaming upper partial, what is it. The 15th partial according to the RCT and he hit the parial note by ear, then counted and said it's right. Playing too many notes only clouds the picture.

To illustrate this point I'll leave you with a Miles Davis story. It was early in the morning when the janitor arrived to clean up the club and to his surprise Miles was sitting at the piano. Apologizing and being as quiet as he could, the janitor went to work. Miles sat there and played a note. Then he played it again and again and again. this went on for 10 or 15 minutes until the janitor had to ask, "Why you sittin there playin the same note over and over?"
Miles replied, "Them other guys, they been lookin for that one note..... I found it."

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission