Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
71 registered members (Beemer, cliowa, Angelos58, cmoody31, AprilE, ando, Agent88, 18 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647870
01/13/09 09:30 PM
01/13/09 09:30 PM
J
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member
JDelmore  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Thanks for the disclaimer. Though I was secretly hoping for another Stooge fan. No reflection on you or the author, but Larry the Stooge will always be "that Larry Fine" for me!!

You're getting some excellent advice as to why professional tuners don't use the Korg. Would it be better for a DIY tuning than nothing on a badly out of tune piano? Probably. Would it be "good enough"? That's up to you and your ear.

Be forewarned...if your ear is "good", you may get hooked...

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Journal
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647871
01/13/09 09:36 PM
01/13/09 09:36 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

DIY tuning is very useful for at least one thing: Learning that tuning is best left to the pros. smile

Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647872
01/13/09 09:57 PM
01/13/09 09:57 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Palindrome  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chicago, IL USA
Incidentally, Larry Fine (the author) HAS posted here, with name "Larry Fine" (space included).

The following is what you would end up with if you didn't temper the notes, and wanted your music to sound good when chords/harmonies were played:

[Linked Image]

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647873
01/14/09 01:50 AM
01/14/09 01:50 AM
San Francisco Area
Casalborgone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Casalborgone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

San Francisco Area
Originally posted by Palindrome:
Incidentally, Larry Fine (the author) HAS posted here, with name "Larry Fine" (space included).

The following is what you would end up with if you didn't temper the notes, and wanted your music to sound good when chords/harmonies were played:

[Linked Image]
I LIKE this idea. And for more smooth and efficient playing you could have a couple of additional fingers cloned and attached to each hand.

Mike
Registered Piano Technician
Member Piano Technicians Guild
Not currently working in the piano trade.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647874
01/14/09 07:27 AM
01/14/09 07:27 AM
T
TheFakeLarryFine Offline OP
TheFakeLarryFine  Offline OP
T

Well, at least some posters are encouraging about DIY tuning and say you might be able to get it good enough. No doubt there is skill involved. But is it the skill of driving a car which everyone can learn or the skill of mastering a Chopin Etude or doing an inverted cross on the rings. Now that is truly difficult.

Much of the advice here is confusing. One guy says I must be within 1/10 of a cent on the base octave so I should through the Korg away. There is far more than a 1/10 cent difference between attack and decay. How would anyone ever get it right? Another says its only 1/3 cent. One of Bremmer's papers says you only have to be within 1 cent on the PTG exam and nobody takes the exam.

Two guys say I need to stretch the base octave. Really? Ok I don't know how to do that. How may tuners really do that?

Bill Bremmer has invented his own EBVT temperament. Wow. You cannot help but be impressed by that. But all these years people have invented a zoo of temperaments to try and achieve ET, the holy grail of temperament. Now we have it for free and we are saying no, no, no one of those other is better. I don't know.

ET with no stretch octave still seem to be the standard. The exam is based on ET. Piano Supply, of Piano World sells a $329 set of 13 chromatic tuning forks. They are ET with no stretch. I checked.

There is little doubt the Korg or similar device could be used for tuning a piano. The only issue is whether the frequency detector algorithm in the Korg is good enough. The timing device certainly is. The Korg looks to be accurate to within 1/2 cent, just by the wiggling of the needle. If there is doubt about the frequency detection algorithm the Korg could be made to produce the tones instead of detect them. Then it would be up to the tuner's ear to get the accuracy. My Korg only puts out two tones but I believe the next higher up model, for a similar trivial price, puts out 12 tones almost certainly ET. If a stretch on the base octave is truly needed you could use the calibration button on the Korg to adjust each tone. But I suspect you could get away with no stretch on the base octave.

----------------------

Not that Larry Fine.

Not that Larry Fine.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647875
01/14/09 08:03 AM
01/14/09 08:03 AM
Strong, Maine
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David Jenson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Strong, Maine
"Well, at least some posters are encouraging about DIY tuning and say you might be able to get it good enough." Not that Larry Fine.

They are being very charitable. The way you are going about this reveals a terrific amount of ignorance of what tuning involves. I have noticed that many of the posters have tried to simplify things for you and are leaning over backward to be nice. After all, that's how some really good tuners got started: 'HEAVY emphasis on "<span style="color: #FF0000; font-style: italic;">started</span>".

The truth is responders on this forum (with the possible exception of Bill Bremmer ;he of infinite patience) don't have the time to write the books that you need to read. You need a much deeper body of knowledge before you go sounding off on the subject.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647876
01/14/09 09:01 AM
01/14/09 09:01 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
Not that Larry,

You find tuning deceptively simple because you have no idea of what tuning really is.

Join PTG, read books, get a mentor, take a course on piano technology, tune 200 pianos!

And maybe then, in two years approximatly, we will be talking about how difficult it is to tune a piano.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician
rafaelmelo@afinacionpianos.com.mx

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647877
01/14/09 09:36 AM
01/14/09 09:36 AM
Madison, WI USA
B
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bill Bremmer RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

Madison, WI USA
Thanks David. It seems to me that Larry needs to learn things the hard way. Go ahead, Larry, use the Korg, follow the directions on the website and if you are satisfied with the results, that's all you need. You asked for our opinion and we gave it to you. I don't think you're going to change our minds. We tried to change yours and gave you a myriad of reasons, you can't say we didn't.

Countless numbers of people have used a Korg, a Strobe Tuner, chromatic forks, a pitch pipe and before that, a monochord to tune a piano, so you wouldn't be doing anything new or different from them. Dr. Al Sanderson thought he could tune his own piano too. He was a Harvard scientist. He also thought the job would be simple. As it turns out, he spent the last half of his life finding a way to approximate what a skilled tuner does by ear.

No matter how good his device was or how good any of the other expensive devices that followed are, everyone knows they still aren't perfect and it requires the judgment of a trained ear to make the adjustments necessary to get the best out of those devices.

That says nothing about the skill required to manipulate the tuning hammer. It says nothing about the other skills a piano technician must have. Dr. Sanderson, Dean Reyburn and Dave Carpenter, all developers of modern ETD's are all RPT's. They all acquired the many required skills then took and passed the exams.

As for the PTG tuning exam, it is true that the tolerance for an error is 0.9 cents (not 1.0 cents) but first of all, you must tune the two central octaves by ear to pass the exam. A minimum level of aural tuning skill is required to pass that exam. You must also tune the unisons by ear. If the author of that website's example was any indication of his skill, he could never pass that exam. Even if you were allowed to use the Korg to tune the midrange, the likelihood is that the results would not be a passing score. It cannot provide you with good enough information/results to achieve what is considered to be even the minimum of a professional quality tuning.

Is that still good enough for you?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647878
01/14/09 10:09 AM
01/14/09 10:09 AM
Minnesota
R
Robert Scott Offline
Robert Scott  Offline
R

Minnesota
Originally posted by LarryFine:
...Two guys say I need to stretch the base octave. Really? Ok I don't know how to do that. How may tuners really do that?...
For example, a typical A4-A5 octave is stretched between 2 and 3 cents, depending on the piano. How they do this depends on the method. Aural tuners do it automatically without even being aware of it when they tune the A4-A5 octave. The inharmonicity of A4 will force the A5 to be stretched to make the octave sound beatless. Then the stretched octave is filled in for the rest of the temperament octave by the sequence of intervals they use, which involves some trial and error. But after years of experience, the amount of trial and error is minimized and they get it pretty much right from the start.

Those who use electronic tuning devices to set their temperament have a different method of stretching the temperament octave. Their electronic device listens to several notes and measures the inharmonicity. Then it calculates an appropriate stretch for the whole piano, including the temperament octave.

...people have invented a zoo of temperaments to try and achieve ET, the holy grail of temperament...
No, that was not their purpose. They invented this "zoo of temperaments" to achieve particular musical effects. Some of these historical temperaments are deliberately very far from ET. Go read Bill Bremmer's post again.

...Now we have it for free and we are saying no, no, no one of those other is better. I don't know...
It is like many things in the arts. People will disagree about artistic values.

...ET with no stretch octave still seem to be the standard. The exam is based on ET. Piano Supply, of Piano World sells a $329 set of 13 chromatic tuning forks. They are ET with no stretch. I checked...
..and absolutely no professional piano technician uses them. They are a novelty, with no practical use for pianos. The fact that ET is the standard for the PTG tuning exam is somewhat arbitrary. It is easy to define, and it is the most common temperament in use today. If someone can tune a good ET, then it is likely they have the skills to tune some other temperament as well. So it makes a good exam criterion. However it is incorrect to say the standard is a no-stretch temperament octave. The PTG tuning exam does look for the correct amount of stretch in the temperament octave too.

...There is little doubt the Korg or similar device could be used for tuning a piano. The only issue is whether the frequency detector algorithm in the Korg is good enough...
If you follow the author's instructions, and use the Korg only for tuning a temperament octave, then tune the rest of the piano by octaves using your ears, you might end up with a tuning that some would call passable. The fact that the temperament octave was not stretched means that you will have a 2-3 cent error at one end of the octave. But as you tune outward aurally by octaves, you will naturally and automatically add stretch, just as all aural tuners do. But the 2-3 cent error in the one end of the temperament octave will cause an unevenness in the beat rate of contiguous 3rds and other intervals.

To me the big problem that was ignored in the article is the difficulty in preventing cumulative error as you tune outward by octaves. Experienced aural tuners do not simply tune by octaves. They tune an octave, then they check various other intervals (3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 10ths, 12ths) and trim the octave to balance all these criteria and prevent error from accumulating. If a good aural tuner were to start with a Korg-tuned temperament octave, the uneveness due to the lack of stretch would eventually be evened out as the tuning progressed outward. To a good aural tuner there is no bright distinction between the temperament octave and the rest of the piano. To them the whole piano is a giant temperament. If you were to tune octaves with no other interval checks along the way, it is likely the unevenness would get worse because of cumulative error.

...the Korg could be made to produce the tones instead of detect them. Then it would be up to the tuner's ear to get the accuracy....
That has problems too. The tone produced by the Korg would likely have harmonics (unless they took great pains to produce a pure sine wave). These harmonics would beat against the partials of the note in the piano. You would hear these beats, and because of inharmonicity, you could not zero them all out. That is why a tuning fork (which produces a nearly pure sine wave) is preferable to an electronic tone source for aural tone matching.

Finally, I would like to say that I'm sorry to see you so mistreated over your name. At most it should have been an occasion for mild amusement over the coincidence with the "other" Larry Fine. But the hints at lawsuits, etc. were way out of line. You deserve to be respected for who you are as much as anyone else on this forum.

Robert Scott
Hopkins, Minnesota
http://www.tunelab-world.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647879
01/14/09 10:41 AM
01/14/09 10:41 AM
Bradford County, PA
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member
UnrightTooner  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bradford County, PA
Originally posted by Robert Scott:

...the Korg could be made to produce the tones instead of detect them. Then it would be up to the tuner's ear to get the accuracy....
That has problems too. The tone produced by the Korg would likely have harmonics (unless they took great pains to produce a pure sine wave). These harmonics would beat against the partials of the note in the piano. You would hear these beats, and because of inharmonicity, you could not zero them all out. That is why a tuning fork (which produces a nearly pure sine wave) is preferable to an electronic tone source for aural tone matching.

Mr. Scott:

You may or may not be interested in This Topic.

There is a way to tune to a theoretical pitch source that takes into account inharmonicity. You may have already read it.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647880
01/14/09 11:40 AM
01/14/09 11:40 AM
Chicagoland
RonTuner Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RonTuner  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Chicagoland

There is little doubt the Korg or similar device could be used for tuning a piano. The only issue is whether the frequency detector algorithm in the Korg is good enough.
Yes, and you COULD use a yardstick with only 1/4" markings to make a cabinet...(Where each 1/4" marking is only accurate to +/- 1/16") it just isn't the appropriate tool for the job, where you may need to measure to the 1/16th, or 1/32 of an inch. Even if you estimate based on the markings, you can't really be sure of the location of those markings.

There are not only frequency detector, but display resolution issues to deal with.

That being said, I DID start out tuning with the first generation Korg... the best way to deal with the stretch issue is to tune an Eb-Eb temperament - A is in the middle right at 440hz. The + or - stretch needed to make the Eb octave in tune will probably be too small for the resolution of the Korg. Check the octave and see if you can improve it by making the top a bit higher and/or the bottom note a bit lower. If it is measurable, then try to spread that measurable amount over the 1/2 octave from the middle A.

What I found time and time again when trying the LED meters was that I could move one note of the octave, hear a difference (better) between the two notes, but the meter didn't show any movement of the note I just changed...

As you expand out from the middle, it is important to keep referencing back to the temperament octave to attempt to make the upper and lower parts of the piano relate to each other, not just to the note an octave away...

Korg used to make the MT-1200 that was JUST within the requirements to set a decent temperament... In addition to a "real" needle, there was a setting to change the range of the meter - instead of +/- 50 cents, the meter could read +/- 25 cents, giving a much tighter resolution. Maybe that Korg could still be found on the used market.

Ron Koval

Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647881
01/14/09 01:46 PM
01/14/09 01:46 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Much of the advice here is confusing. One guy says I must be within 1/10 of a cent on the base octave so I should through the Korg away. There is far more than a 1/10 cent difference between attack and decay. How would anyone ever get it right? Another says its only 1/3 cent.

One of Bremmer's papers says you only have to be within 1 cent on the PTG exam and nobody takes the exam.

Two guys say I need to stretch the base octave. Really? Ok I don't know how to do that. How may tuners really do that?

Everyone that understands how to tune; everyone that can hear the beats in tuning, stretches both the treble and the bass. This way, striking double and triple octaves, they will all be in tune. This is not something that is attainable or expected as a beginner. In fact, it is impossible to hear the fine tunings for 99% of all beginners.

Those that explain that it can be close enough, are wrong. It is either right, or it is wrong. Close enough only means, they can't hear it to get it any closer.

As for taking the exam. Many people take the tuning exam. Most pass.

Bill B is a head tuning examiner for the PTG which is very highly respected organization. Bill B is also very well respected. If anyone knows the exact allowances of tuning for the PTG exam, he does.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647882
01/14/09 02:10 PM
01/14/09 02:10 PM
Billings, MT
J
John Dutton Offline
John Dutton  Offline
J

Billings, MT
How may tuners really do that?
All of them. Folks are trying to be nice but in the end you don't even know what you don't know. Worse, and fatal, is that you refuse to listen to the experts when we try to encourage you and feed you baby steps. Since you obviously already know everything you need to know then hang out your shingle.

Or you are a sock puppet.

suit on. :t:

Piano Technician
Pro horn player
Recording Engineer
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647883
01/17/09 12:31 PM
01/17/09 12:31 PM
T
T

I started this thread hoping to get some friendly advice on how to improve the very basic tuning technique as described on the web page. I have gotten some of that. Maybe I should have realized, however, the discussion might drift into whether a $20 device could compete with a skill taking many years of experience to perfect. That is not really the issue I wanted to get into.

I still have a question on how much stretch is needed on the base octave. One guy says it is 2-3 cents. But according to the Railsback curve at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_acoustics

the base octave stretch is very small. If I am understanding the curve correctly, there is around 3 cents stretch over the octaves one octave about or below the base octave but virtually none on the base octave.

Some tuners have asked whether I believe my own tune is good enough for me. The short answer is yes. It has been suggested I should compare my tune to a recording of a grand piano. There is little doubt that would sound better. My piano is not a 9 foot Boozendoofer which just received 8 hours of professional service. As a DIY tuner I an not going for that. I am trying to get it to sound acceptable after it has sat without tuning for 3 years.

I agreed I might record my piano for others to evaluate. I might still do that at some point. But after being scolded and having my hand slapper for thinking of doing the tune myself I am having second thought.

Very few people post examples of their playing at Member Recordings. Far more people should. Tuners could post recordings of their tunes as well. It might humble some of the heat on the site.

For the most part I thank you for your responses.

------------------------------------

Not the real Larry Fine.

Not that Larry Fine.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647884
01/17/09 02:25 PM
01/17/09 02:25 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

I see things a bit differently.

Tuning takes skill. If you want to DIY, then you need to get REALLY good to produce acceptable results.

The pros can do that. It's really hard to come close without that skill.

A tuning that is "close" isn't really close at all ... it's terrible. Tuning just a "little bit off" doesn't produce sound that's a "little bit off". It produces horror.

Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647885
01/17/09 02:53 PM
01/17/09 02:53 PM
C
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
charleslang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Was there really a time when pianists often tuned their own pianos? If so, did they often do a substandard job, or was anything different? Was tuning taught as part of piano lessons? I imagine that if tuning were part of piano lessons, the perception that it is out of reach for an amateur would not be so widespread.

It seems there are two extremes in views on amateur tuning. Either folks expect it to be as easy as tuning a guitar, or they think of it as something completely unreachable even for a talented do-it-yourselfer. It's got to be somewhere in between, right?

As far as I understand it, if you stretch the temperament octave the right amount, and then you get a feeling for how a minor third, major third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh are supposed to sound, you can produce very good results by combining and testing these intervals in various ways on each note, and by moving up and down the scale in these intervals.

I'm not ready to do a full tuning but in playing around I've found that sometimes if I feel like I have an octave right for a particular note, and I play a few pieces, I realize that the sixth involving that note does not sound right. Then I play around with the sixths in conjunction with the octave and other intervals until there is a compromise that sounds right.

By 'sound right' of course I mean that you learn to recognize the necessary beats and beating speeds.

charlessamuellang.com
Semi-pro pianist and piano technician
Tuesdays 5-8:30 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647886
01/17/09 02:56 PM
01/17/09 02:56 PM
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Supply  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Why are professional piano technicians even entering into a discussion with a chain jerker who wants to talk about

"how much stretch is needed on the base octave" ???

This thread belongs in one of the cheesy piano chat forums where DIYs argue amongst each other, no?

Never mind the whole name imposter question....

Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647887
01/17/09 03:03 PM
01/17/09 03:03 PM
C
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
charleslang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Base is of course not 'bass'. I mean the temperament octave.

You tell me why they're entering into the discussion.

I don't appreciate you calling me a chain jerker.

charlessamuellang.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647888
01/17/09 03:23 PM
01/17/09 03:23 PM
C
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
charleslang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

For those of you who are interested in discussing the question of how musicians can tune their own instruments: what is the situation with players of hammer dulcimers? It seems that they tune on their own and they have up to three octaves with at least two strings per note. Is a stretch required for three octaves?

Here is a tutorial that does not mention octave stretching, but does say that a performance tuning 'requires a bit of technique' in order to 'tune the instrument to itself':

http://www.ardiesdulcimers.com/html/hammereddulcimertuning.htm

charlessamuellang.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647889
01/17/09 03:36 PM
01/17/09 03:36 PM
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Supply  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Who is calling Charleslang a chain jerker? I am talking about the thread initiator.

Most instruments are tuned by their players. Notable exceptions are pianos and organs. There are other forums for discussing the nuances of tuning harpsichords, clavichords, dulcimers, banjos and auto harps etc. I suggest taking those discussions there. It has very, very little to do with the realities of properly tuning pianos.

Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647890
01/17/09 04:30 PM
01/17/09 04:30 PM
C
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
charleslang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sorry, that was my bad. I should have read my own post again. Talking about the temperament octave as the 'base' octave sounded like something I might have written. shocked

I really do appreciate the input from professionals on this board so I don't at all want to give the impression that I don't. smile

I think anyone who is a professional in a field gets annoyed when lay people use technically inaccurate terms, and especially when they undervalue the work one has put into that field.

I think that anyone getting involved as an amateur in piano tuning needs to appreciate that they are doing it in the same way an amateur might design their own house (or some other project usually left to professionals for good reason). Occasionally a gifted amateur designs a good house, but most do not. The ones that do design good houses have spent a great amount of time and effort learning all about how to do it.

charlessamuellang.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647891
01/17/09 06:07 PM
01/17/09 06:07 PM
T
T

No doubt, the best way to deal with a mere "chain jerker" is to ignore them.

----------------------------------

Not the real Larry Fine.

Not that Larry Fine.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647892
01/17/09 07:27 PM
01/17/09 07:27 PM
Vancouver B. C. Canada
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Silverwood Pianos  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B. C. Canada
Well the Neanderthals seemed to have made a pretty good instrument in this photo, but they didn’t seem to be very good at building houses……

http://picasaweb.google.com/silverwoodpianos/PianoOrigins?authkey=I8giAK3OWpA#5292421973720560466

not getting too much done in the shop today……………….

www.silverwoodpianos.com

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647893
01/24/09 03:18 PM
01/24/09 03:18 PM
T
T

In my previous remarks I misunderstood the definition of a cent. I realize now that it is 1/100 of a semitone, much smaller than I had understood.

In the wikipedia article on the cent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_music
(link may not work)

is suggests that a ordinary person can hear a difference in pitch of 25 cents and the threshold of what a human can discern is 5-6 cents.

This makes me wonder even more on how accurate a tuning needs to be. Does a 2-3 cent stretch on the temperament octave matter? How does a tuner achieve 1 cent accuracy if the limit on human ability is 5 cents?

I would like to thank Robert Scott, author of TuneLab, and others for their response. I did not realize I was getting this kind or response.

Not that Larry Fine.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647894
01/24/09 03:41 PM
01/24/09 03:41 PM
Marietta, GA
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Les Koltvedt  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Marietta, GA
As an aspiring tech...just how accurate can we expect a piano to be "in tune" when just changing the temperature of a tuning fork by wrapping your hands around it can change it's frequency by 3-4 cents. just how long can one expect a piano to stay "in tune" when almost everyone dials their thermostats back and forth everyday. confused

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647895
01/24/09 04:33 PM
01/24/09 04:33 PM
Minnesota
R
Robert Scott Offline
Robert Scott  Offline
R

Minnesota
Originally posted by TheFakeLarryFine:
...wikipedia article...suggests that a ordinary person can hear a difference in pitch of 25 cents and the threshold of what a human can discern is 5-6 cents....This makes me wonder even more on how accurate a tuning needs to be. Does a 2-3 cent stretch on the temperament octave matter? How does a tuner achieve 1 cent accuracy if the limit on human ability is 5 cents?...
The ability to discern pitch depends on context. If you have not heard any music for a long time, and then you hear a single tone, your ability to discern the pitch of that tone will be very different from the case where you have just heard a reference tone, or related tone. Good singers can listen to a tone just before they go out on stage and keep that tone in their heads. Then, a few minutes later, they can all start singing on pitch without any instrumental accompaniment. The closer together in time two tones are the more accurately you can compare their pitch.

However there is more than pitch comparison going on here. When a piano is badly out of tune, people know it, not just because of the pitch error, but because of the beats. That is why we need a 2-3 cent stretch in the temperament octave. Not to make the pitch sound "right", but to stop the beating. And that takes better than 1 cent precision.

Robert Scott
Hopkins, Minnesota
http://www.tunelab-world.com
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647896
01/24/09 06:33 PM
01/24/09 06:33 PM
Olympia, WA
rysowers Offline
3000 Post Club Member
rysowers  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Olympia, WA
Well put, Mr Scott!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647897
01/24/09 07:19 PM
01/24/09 07:19 PM
Billings, MT
J
John Dutton Offline
John Dutton  Offline
J

Billings, MT
Originally posted by TheFakeLarryFine:
In the wikipedia article on the cent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_music
(link may not work)

is suggests that a ordinary person can hear a difference in pitch of 25 cents and the threshold of what a human can discern is 5-6 cents
"It is difficult to establish how many cents are perceptible to humans"

This is the key quote from this article. It is important to remember that Wikipedia is not necessarily a reference upon which to rely. Sometimes the information is accurate and sometimes it only seems accurate. I do not think one can infer anything regarding what a human can perceive from this article. It is not a scientific article.

Additionally, there is the ability to perceive and the ability to reproduce. I know folks who can hear when a pitch is off from another but could not match that pitch on an instrument or voice. These are not professional musicians. Amateur musicians perhaps can match a pitch but take a significant amount of time to do so. A professional musician matches pitch fairly instantaneously. These skills can be refined within the potential of the individual.

A Korg tuner falls into the category of not being able to match a pitch. It just isn't good enough. To tune at an acceptable level one must be able to hear beats and then resolve those beats with a tuning hammer.

Once one learns to hear beats properly, then debating how many cents to stretch the temperament octave becomes an academic matter and/or personal preference.

Piano Technician
Pro horn player
Recording Engineer
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647898
01/24/09 07:37 PM
01/24/09 07:37 PM
El Cajon, CA
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
88Key_PianoPlayer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

El Cajon, CA
How close (in cents) can a unison on a piano be, and still be out of tune, to the ear of a well-trained RPT? (For example, assuming there's no false beats in the 2 strings being compared, adjust one so it's just ever so slightly off so you barely notice it, then use your ETD to find out how far off it is. I'd venture to guess that many techs here could hear a unison being out that's still better than within 0.1 cent.

Associate Member - Piano Technicians Guild
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
Re: Piano Tuning: Deceptively Simple #647899
01/24/09 08:23 PM
01/24/09 08:23 PM
Madison, WI USA
B
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bill Bremmer RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

Madison, WI USA
Larry, as one very wise novice put it, "You don't know what you don't know". I'll say it again and mean it sincerely, a Korg type device is NOT adequate for tuning a piano! No ifs, ands or buts! If you must prove it to yourself the hard way, then go ahead and do it but don't try to justify it to us, we know better!

I only wish you could read the December article in the Piano Technicians Journal that explains in very basic terms how one of the modern Electronic Tuning Devices (ETD) calculates a tuning for the piano. If you could see the math involved, you might better understand what we're all trying to tell you. Basically, you'll end up with a piano that sounds like a calliope, not a piano.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
Summer Camp Opportunity with orchestra
by pianofan1017. 11/13/18 12:47 AM
Pedal noise fix for Garritan CFX
by HCC. 11/13/18 12:34 AM
Hailun - Out of business?
by StevenG. 11/13/18 12:12 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,309
Posts2,760,595
Members91,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission