2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Darla Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get advice on hiring a technician. I'm a relatively new player with a 100 year old Knabe grand piano. The problem is that I have difficulty playing softly on the bass notes (three in particular). Usually either the sound comes out loud or there is no sound. The keys also feel different when pressing down--some sort of pause about two-thirds the way down--which the other keys don't seem to have. In addition the right pedal squeaks.

Based on my very limited understanding (from reading prior posts), I believe I need to get the piano regulated and voiced (at a minimum).
1)What sort of questions should I ask a technician before I hire one?
2)What price range is reasonable for this type of work?
Thanks for any advice.

J
J
How strange! This very topic came up on the PTG site today. Perhaps a damper return spring problem (does it play okay loudly?). After 100 yrs, regulation is probably indicated (You don't say how long it's been). Since you don't have a technician, I'm assuming you haven't had the piano long. Finding a good technician is a good idea! Call around to any universities, music teachers, etc., in the area for recommendations. The best are always (well, usually) found by word of mouth.

Good Luck--old Knabe's can sound GREAT!

John Delmore
PTG Associate Member
"You don't have a Soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body."...C.S. Lewis
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
The pause you refer to may be the jack being moved out from under the knuckle. There may be so much friction between jack and knuckle that it takes a somewhat hard blow to overcome it. Given that the piano is so old, it may need more than just a regulation to sound good. The knuckles may be well flattened. Many of the centers could be worn or stiff from grime and disuse. Some felts may be moth eaten. Capstans may need polishing.

In short, you should get a tech who is not just a tuner, but an experienced rebuilder. Have him or her look the action over carefully, and ask for different price options depending upon how much restoration he does. Good luck!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Imagine this: You just bought a 1947 Buick with 300K miles on it and all the original parts. The brakes are little squishy? The engine knocks? Got some smoke out the tail pipe? Shimmys over 30 mph? What would you expect???

Now, you have a 100 year old piano..... go figure.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission