2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Card Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,
I am a beginning player and I am considering purchasing a used (1 year old) DGC1A Yamaha 5'3" from a private party. I have had a technician inspect the piano. He said the only issue he sees is that there is close to zero downbearing on the middle treble. He used some bubble measurement device. He says the piano sounds okay though, so he is not sure if this is a big problem or little. This is the only issue, otherwise it is in showroom condition.

Question 1: Is this a big issue?
Question 2: If it is, is there an easy and cost effective way to rectify? He talked about adjusting the plate but said that could be expensive. He wasn't sure if Yamaha had a way to easily adjust the plate or not. He is going to check though.

Thanks so much for shedding any light on this. I am not familiar with piano lingo so I hope this is clear. smile

Proud new owner of a 2000 Boston GP-163 w/QRS 2000CD+
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If the piano sounds good, then the amount of downbearing is, fundamentally, of academic interest only. Bearing can vary according to many factors including the amount of humidity in the environment in which it has been kept. Unless there has been a humidifer in the room with the piano, or a full Dampp-Chaser system installed and used, the soundboard in the piano in question has probably lost moisture in the dry midwestern winter, and this would be evident in a relatively lower downbearing in the middle of the long bridge.

Downbearing is a complex topic, however it is clear that your technician is somewhat short on experience. He or she should be able to explain downbearing issues to you clearly and advise you on whether the piano has been kept in the right kind of humidity regime. Or whether the variation in downbearing corresponds with tonal problems in the piano related to such issues as sustain.

You would no doubt do well to find a more experienced tech to help you with your evaluation of this instrument. It is difficult to give useful advice regarding a specific piano without the ability to listen to, play and otherwise examine the instrument.

Mike
Registered Piano Technician
Member Piano Technicians Guild
Not currently working in the piano trade.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Card

I am curious, do you know what tool the tech used to check the bearing?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
Card Offline OP
OP Offline
Larry,
He used a Lowell component downbearing gauge. He did tell me that it could be due to lack of humidity. I just don't know enough about pianos to know if this is a problem and if it should make me not buy this piano. Thanks.

Proud new owner of a 2000 Boston GP-163 w/QRS 2000CD+
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
As Duke Ellington used to say, if it sounds good, it is good.

Semipro Tech
S
S
The Lowell bearing measurement should be followed by just putting a string across the board on the underside. Many times bearing cannot be measured by the bubble gauge but there is measurable crown on the board. Also different techs have variations on exactly how to use the bubble gauge and results can vary.
The string can be stretched the length of the board between and paralell to the ribs as far as you can get it. Hold flat to the board and look for space between it and the board in the middle of the string. Do this in all areas of the piano.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission