2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#635962 07/14/02 03:12 PM
A
areola Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi!
Anybody have any experience with Teflon bushings on Steinways made between 1962-1981?
Encounter any problems?
Please respond.

E
E
I have a friend who couldn't stand the clicking sound on his B and eventually had the action replaced.

A local rebuilder told me he would always change the action on a teflon piano -- at a cost of about $7K.

It made me turn down a 1975 L that was otherwise pretty nice.

Eric

Hi,

I spent most of the seventies working as technician in NYC. My practice consisted mainly of S&S grands in institutional and professional settings.

I, personally would not recomend an instrument from that era with teflon bushings. I made a fair amount of my income dealing with the issues (mainly clicking) connected with these bushings.

Regulating these bushings involves a completely different manual skill and different tools than the usual felt bushings. The skill is not particularly difficult to learn but requires a certain amount of practice to really get it just right. Many techs in the field just haven't come across enough of these instruments to really develop that skill.

When properly regulated, the bushings work fine for a while (sometimes if your lucky, quite a while) but they will usually develop problems eventually. The larger bushings introduced in the 70s were an improvement, but the basic idea was fundamentally flawed IMO.

In addition, IMO there were a number quality control problems during that period. I would recommend that anyone considering an instrument of that vintage to have it examined by an independant (and hopefully unbiased) tech or rebuilder.

All that said, most of these instruments have outstanding tonal characteristics that can be brought out by careful attention by the right technician. It may very well be worth replacing the action in them. The Franz M. and his staff regularly performed what I considered to be minor (and a few major) miracles in those days.

BTW, I've been out ot the business for about 20 years and have not seen a new S&S in that time. I've heard that quality has improved somewhat but cannot say from personal experience.

regards,
Chris

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission