2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hey all, I"m a 17 year old Piano Technology student. I am studying with a local RPT and am working at aural tuning. My Mentor Tech is asking that I give him a commitment to Piano technology if I wish to continue working with him when he returns from florida in a couple of weeks. To him this means a commitment to work towards attending the North Bennett Street School in Boston. The School which he attended twenty something years ago. I am reasonably sure that I am going to make this commitment. However I thought it would be advantageous not to rush into any commitment without seriously asking myself is this something I really want to commit to. To me the amount of money I make is not really an issue. I would much rather seek the greater reward of doing work I love and enjoy at a low income level than work I dislike or even just don't mind with a high income level. I see myself as someone who has the temperament for this repetitive sort of work. My Mentor does as well. Repetitive tasks have never bothered my and thus far tuning has not been a problem either.

There are however some difficultys this the general Idea is that I would like to get a degree in music however I'm not sure I want to take four years getting a degree and than have to work for a few years before going to school for Piano Technology. hence taking possibly six years before I even got to school for PIano technology. In other words I would like to but I don't think that it is practical to do so before I go to school for piano technology. Besides that I Really like the Idea of being young and experienced in the Piano technology field. Also when I think about it it really just want to continue to study Piano privately. Hence What I am thinking right now is perhaps pursuing a degree at some later point part time. Even though I realize that this may mean I may never attain such a goal.
Anyway (sorry to bore) the reason I am telling this is that I am interested in knowing how various Technicians think there PIano playing or even degree has affected the employability and work over the years. Basically how it has effected Piano Technology in their lives.
I am thinking of finding a place to more or less continue training at a professional level after going to Piano technology school. Perhaps a manufacturer, or established large dealer, shop or school. Where I would be working with more experienced technicians.

I am interested in knowing basically any information anyone would care to give to someone seeking to enter the field. weather or not it has anything to do with what I have rambled on about in the above. So any words of wisdom or comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

Piano Technology Student NBSS '09
E
E
Hello.

I'm not a technician, but I'll try to help...

It was just months ago that I got interested in piano technology, and it has changed A LOT the way I think about music, and the way I teach my students. Something similar could happen to you.

I think you should become a technician first, and then get into music school if you can (working part time as a technician, perhaps?). That would help you seeing things from a different perspective, which in my opinion, is always a good thing.

Getting a music degree and becoming a pianist are not the same thing. You could get into history of music and the evolution of the keyboard instruments, and also become a better pianist, without requiring 10 hours a day of practice... You could major in physics and minor in music, or double major, getting a scientific background that could be combined with your technical knowledge.

Why is he asking you to make such a commitment? I can understand asking a student to focus, to work harder,but only considering your initial post, it makes no sense to me to put you in that situation.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I attended North Bennet Street School in the last few years, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Not only will you learn skills, but you will make contacts with manufacturers, dealers, and other industry professionals which will greatly accelerate your career.

I can't help you choose between a music degree and becoming a technician; you certainly don't need the former for the latter. It seems to me that both require full-time study; only you can decide.

NBSS welcomes visitors interested in the program. Feel free to contact them: www.nbss.org.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
A
A
I think your mentor wants a commitment because he doesn't want to invest his time, energy, (and love), in someone who isn't going to complete their studies and become a good piano technician.
Personally I don't think that's unreasonable. Whether you're paying your mentor or not, you will still owe it to him to become a good piano technician and do good work. If you follow the course he recommends you can be fairly confident that you will come out with skills that will support you for the rest of your life almost anywhere in the world.
Having done both, I can say that in music school you may not. A bachelor's in music is not such a hot commodity.
I would bet that NBS has a much higher percentage of graduates that go on successfully with their profession than most music schools do, especially if your interest is in performance.
If, at 21 or 22 you have a profession, I can almost guarantee you'll do well in music school. I'd do it in that order.
It's great that your starting early, you're way ahead of the game.
Good luck!

Steven
RPT
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Digger:

I have no advice, but was at a similar crossroads at 19. Maybe my experience can give you perspective.

I was very interested in music in High School and was a low brass player. There was no money or real encouragement for college when I graduated. So after kicking around in some odd jobs, I learned to tune from a blind floor tuner in 5 easy lessons. My plan was to earn enough to go to music school and work my way through college by tuning. Music schools have pianos, right?

So, I tuned for a year. Tuning was fine, but the Whitney spinets weren’t, and ruined my confidence in tuning that only recently returned. I was also playing in bands here and there, and older friends from High School were graduating form Music College.

About then, I realized a few things. My friends were getting horrible teaching jobs in horrible places, I was doing much more “musical” things than they were without a degree, and I really wasn’t much of a musician. I could perform music well, but I didn’t have an original musical though in my head. So I took a different career path.

I expect to be a perpetual grade four piano player, but enjoy playing as much as anyone. For me, being able to work on pianos makes it more difficult to play them. I am very distracted by the piano itself. I envy players that can sit down to an out-of-tune, tinny sounding, missing ivory, sticky key, double striking, neglected piano and bang out a piece of music and enjoy it. Maybe it wouldn’t matter if I were able to work on them or not. Maybe I would still be distracted.

Best of luck to you. Hope all your dreams come true.

Part-time tuner
T
OP Offline
T
Wow, I think I learned something from each of you. Thank you all.
I think you all have either Said or inferred or implied that you would make it the maine priority to NBSS. Combined with the fact that this is the way that I had been leaning I think I have decided barring some major change that I will make this my priority. I have realized after thinking about it more that I can be completly satisfied with my life (perhaps even more so) without a music degree. This makes it much easier to make NBSS a priority and jeopardize getting a music degree. I realized that All I really want to do is be able to play the Piano at a high level.
I think Artisan Piano hit the nail on the head :
" I think your mentor wants a commitment because he doesn't want to invest his time, energy, (and love), in someone who isn't going to complete their studies and become a good piano technician.
Personally I don't think that's unreasonable. Whether you're paying your mentor or not, you will still owe it to him to become a good piano technician and do good work. If you follow the course he recommends you can be fairly confident that you will come out with skills that will support you for the rest of your life almost anywhere in the world.
Having done both, I can say that in music school you may not. A bachelor's in music is not such a hot commodity.
I would bet that NBS has a much higher percentage of graduates that go on successfully with their profession than most music schools do, especially if your interest is in performance.
If, at 21 or 22 you have a profession, I can almost guarantee you'll do well in music school. I'd do it in that order.
It's great that your starting early, you're way ahead of the game.
Good luck! "

This pretty much sums up my knowledge and feeling and Dream. Take two extra years after I finish High school to earn money and perpare myself to only have to attend one year at NBSS. (Take Piano lessons as well) Go To NBSS Get out of NBSS at 21 or 22 and be fully employable and start the path to becoming a master technician. Take Piano Lessons and perhaps take college Music courses. Does this seem like a logical plan to people?
I just love the Idea of being that young having no debt and being able to to have schooling behind me and have learning begin in the real world. Not having to take 4 years to take a lot of classes I may not want to take and having to put my real life and career on hold for possibly more after that.
Basically I'm excited to have finally decided to make this commitment and come to this plan. Thank you all for your help. Any comments or advice on anything are greatly appreciated Thanks!

Maybe I can add another point of view. . .

When I was 17, my father (who had been my piano technology mentor) asked me to get my RPT status before I left for college. The idea was that it would be easier to work my way through school, our family not being particularly wealthy. That way I could be ahead in getting work experience, and have a back-up profession to my degree.

As a pre-qualified piano technician, it was a breeze getting work in a college town. It was also nice to be earning about 4 times more than my roommates!

That chapter of my story ended with leaving school to work on pianos full-time. This never means that you have to stop learning, however, and I'm still taking piano lessons and random classes 10 years later.

You say that the amount of money you make is not an issue. I believe you mean that, I still remember being 17, but be aware that you may have reason to change your mind on that one later. Most of us make more working on pianos than we would playing them, without having to sacrifice our musical lives.

I wish you the best in whatever you choose.

Elizabeth Heppler, R.P.T.
www.hepplerpiano.com
As a junior music major who is considering a career in piano technology after graduation, I can--perhaps--offer a few insights, although I haven't actually done both (yet) like Artisan.

First off, unless you go to an inexpensive public university, a college education is really expensive. Unfortunately, so is NBSS. Therefore, it may be really hard to afford both unless you're well off.

However, being a piano major will certainly prepare you to speak more intelligently with real artists and to understand their needs, which is important if you want to do concert work.

About the earnings issue, BTW, you should check out this link, an e-book by a Piano World person: http://www.pianotechnician.bravehost.com/
I was esp. interested in this article when I found out that the author lives in the same region I do!

I agree with SuperTuner that you'll probably make more as a technician than as a pianist unless you're really lucky. There are a lot of excellent pianists out there that can barely pay the rent.

BTW, SuperTuner, out of curiosity, DID you pass your RPT tests before college?

EARNINGS: This is an interesting turn in this discussion.

I was a PTG meeting last year and I found out through conversation that one of the very respected technicians there was actually quite an accomplished classical pianist. One of the guys asked if he was playing for something with the symphony which had a series opening down the street at the concert hall. He answered, "No I am tuning for it though. I can either make $*** for an hour and a half a night or $** for 3 hours a night. Hmmm I'll play for fun when I want to play"

Jim
M
M
Originally posted by Thefiredigger:
A bachelor's in music is not such a hot commodity.
I can't say I agree with this statement, based on first-hand knowledge.

ANY bachelor's degree is helpful. You don't just learn about music if you have a bachelor's with a major in music, unless you go to a music-only college. A liberal arts education has a lot of value, no matter what you major in. And if you ever decide you don't want to stay in piano technology, a lot more doors are open with that "B.A." on your resume than without.

I have a Theater degree - and I've never had any job that was ever directly (or even indirectly) related to the theater. (I've enjoyed doing lots of community theater and helping with high school theater.) But I've excelled in sales jobs, because not only could I "act" like I was in a good mood even when I was having the worst day ever (it's important to put on a good "face" when your in sales!), I could also talk about more than just theater - I could talk intelligently about art, history, politics, religion, science, etc. Also, one of my best friends has a degree in music - he worked as a sales rep for Toshiba, selling semiconductor manufacturing machines. He made VERY good money at it - that's right, with a MUSIC degree. Quite a good "commodity", I would say.

A bachelor's degree is not something to be overlooked. Don't get me wrong - if you enjoy piano technology, and want to do that, then absolutely go for it. Many people make good money doing what they love in highly specialized fields, and there's not a darn thing wrong with that. And if playing the music is likely to be secondary anyway, it's probably a good direction to go. (An unfortunate fact of life is that we severely undervalue - and underpay - our artists.) But don't dismiss a degree in any field as not being helpful - it will help you in ways you do not yet realize. That said, I certainly understand the financial ramifactions involved with essentially going to school twice.

Choose what's best for you, and have fun with it.

"Tooner" and "Teck" in Training, to one day become a Tuner and Tech.
T
OP Offline
T
Hello again everyone, I thought it would be appropriate to let everyone know that I'm applying to NBSS for admission this fall. I've sent in my application and am interviewing this coming Friday. Thanks to all who gave their advice it was and is appreciated.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good Luck, Digger. It is a really good program, I hope you make the cut.

JG
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Digger,

Please take the time to read this link. You will find it extremely interesting and quite true.
http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/news/2002/0206/0102-x229.html

It is about a technician friend of mine, Yat-Lam-Hong. He is an excellent piano technician, working full time, is an RPT and yet, he managed "in his spare time to "earn a doctorate in music performance in 1991 from the University of Cincinnati."

He is the full time head piano technician at Western Michigan University and has been for many, many years. He would work at the university at night and also tune during the day for other clients. Then, in his spare time, sleeping when he could, he would fly back and forth to the University of Cincinnati until finally, one day, he earned his doctorate in music performance. Quite a feat!

So you see, anything is possible at any age. Don't rush yourself. You are young and have plenty of time to do both if that is what you should choose. I would suggest learning piano tuning first as Yat-Lam did and then work towards whatever other degree you might want.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thefiredigger,

A good temperament for doing repetitive tasks. Like the idea of owning your own business? Being your own boss? Being in the music field?
All benifits of becomming a piano tuner. I have done this for over thirty years and made a decent living. North Bennett Street School is one of the tops in the nation to learn the craft the "right way" from professionals who know how to teach.

Now that I have said this, I know a couple of other things as well. Having a bachelor's degree, even in music, will benifit you in life in a hundred ways including job and earnings potential. You never know where life will lead you. Such a benifit is a degree that I recommend putting it before all else. I have known dozens of young folks who have put off college and the exegencies of life have set in and taken over and choices in life deminish even after age 21.
Get you degree then explore piano tuning as a vocation.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Digger says: me the amount of money I make is not really an issue. I would much rather seek the greater reward of doing work I love and enjoy at a low income level than work I dislike or even just don't mind with a high income level.

Digger, one more thing. Don't set yourself up with the idea that you can't make any money as a piano tuner because from what you're saying above, it sounds to me like that is what you're already expecting without evening having started tuning. The amount of money you make SHOULD be an issue if you want to make a decent living instead of barely getting by.

There is no reason why you need to make a living tuning pianos at a "lower income level" except for starting out as you build u your customer base. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Mr. Groot in my minute experience I have come across two types of people those who think Piano Technicians make a lot of money and those who think it isn't a viable career options. Both of these groups have no Idea what the field is like but anyway.
Craigen, the problem with doing as you suggest is the money. I would get no financial aid at NBSS if i were to attend after I had attained a degree. On top of that I would have no money and hence I would not be able afford NBSS. Going to NBSS even without having a Degree is going to be a financial stretch.
Given my druthers and a lot of money I would follow your advice.
On another note I visited NBSS for my interview on Friday. I loved it, the students and instructors were friendly and very willing to talk and answer any questions or just plain talk about anything relating to the school even if you didn't ask. Before visiting I wanted to attend now I really want to. The wait till May and a letter from the admissions office containing the decision is on.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey good luck Digger. Glad to be of help. You have some great advice here. You sound like a very intelligent 17 year old who has a mind ready for action! Go for it! :-)

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
T
OP Offline
T
I thought I'd let everyone know I was accepted to NBSS for the fall. I'm looking forward to a lot of hard work learning a lot of things, most of which I have more likely than not never heard of. (there I go ending sentences in prepositions again) Now I just need to find a place to live and a part time Job.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! I can guarantee you'll enjoy it; I sure did. I strongly suggest that you set yourself the goal to pass the RPT exams at the end of the first year. With all the tools and equipment available, it's the easiest chance you'll have to practice those skills, and you can take the tests right there in Boston.

Take every opportunity to do stringing on the setup they have, and especially practice damper adjustments. A little effort will pay off here; customers will call about a stuck damper long before they'll call about the tuning.

NBSS will help you find housing, and they often have student jobs available, too.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission