2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#632868 02/28/02 02:47 AM
Jay Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I have a high polished piano that was bought recently, I dont see anything when I first gotten it but now the side of the cabinet is turning abit cloudy/smokey, doesn't look shine anymore.

What is the causes? Is it polyester defect or etc.. Is there anyway to repair it.

Thank You frown

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Jay ]

P
P
Hi Jay: Don't know the reason for your high gloss finish not to be high gloss in that area, but I have found a polish which corrects the problem. Its called Meguiar's plastic polish # 10. Its available in automotive supply stores, and is made to remove scratches from plastic rear windows of convertibles. Its a very fine, gentle abrasive in suspension, (looks like milk) but really work. Depending on how cloudy the area is, you may have to reapply the product several times, but with patience, it will produce the desired result. The secret is a soft, cotton cloth. I use old T shirt material, but baby diapers are also good. Good Luck.... PNO2NER.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Good advice. But if the piano is new, I'd call the dealer and have them send out their touchup guy to take care of it. I've seen a few pianos lately where the poly simply got sprayed onto the piano poorly, and had a cloudy look to it as a result. It appears to me that the poly was either sprayed with too much pressure, or was contaminated somehow.

What Piano2tnr has suggested is certainly a good way to remove a haze on the finish, but if the problem is defective poly, nothing will fix it. I've had a couple that were so bad I had to send them back to the manufacturer. That's why if the piano is new, I'd make the dealer take care of it.

Jay Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the information PNO2NER I will try that. And if that doesn't work, Larry I'll sure hunt that dealer down.

Have a nice day.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Disclaimer: I know VERY little about this kind of thing. (But I do have friends in high places.)

I'm wondering what make of piano this is? During my piano search I came across some Schimmels that had a similar problem. Schimmel had encountered a defect in the polyester and had the defective pianos resprayed into a hand-rubbed satin finish. I was considering buying one of these pianos and checked with a friend of mine who works for a company that sells industrial coatings to piano/guitar/percussion companies. He told me that Schimmel's explanation was certainly possible. But he also warned that moisture coming up from the wood itself would make the finish appear "cloudy". This could be a serious problem for a piano. In the end, I didn't buy the Schimmel (although I thought they were wonderful pianos). But I'd get recommend getting your piano checked by someone who really knows piano finishes.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
F
F
Polyester finishes can cloud when exposed to a water based cleaner ro polish such the common spray cleaners, Endust, et al. Use a dryer sheet to gently wipe dust off the surface, and then buff gently with a very soft, clean, and above all, dry cotton rag.

Frank Weston

Jay Offline OP
OP Offline
Pheww.... the problem is now rectify. Am glad that the piano did not need to leave the house.

A technician came over to inspect the piano last week. He suspect when the piano was in factory, the buffing on the cabinet was not done properly. He uses this 3M product(medium & fine scratches polisher) and apply on the cloudy area and it is gone.
Wow din know we can do MAGIC on polyester finish eek

L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission