Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (achoo42, anamnesis, ando, 7uturu, Alex Hutor, 31 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631598
10/13/08 08:36 AM
10/13/08 08:36 AM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
I think I posted this before somewhere else but, for those of you that haven't seen it..... Rod reminded me of it.

One day, my dad went to this ladies house, I wasn't old enough to come along, dangitall...!! She opened up the door stark naked. He was slightly shall we say, rattled? But, retained his composure and slight smile as he put it. She said, you don't mind if I run around the house nude do you? I hate wearing clothing in my own home while I work. To which he responded joyfully, NOOO NOT AT ALL!!!! So, the entire time he was tuning, she was flitting about the home to and fro, room to room doing her thing while he did his.

I asked him if he broke any wires being distracted. He said no but, I was having a slight problem with my hammer shank.

laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
(ad 800)
PTG Convention 2019
PTG 2019 Convention Tuscon AZ
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631599
10/13/08 11:02 AM
10/13/08 11:02 AM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
too bad there isn't a camera cellphone during those times...

be careful of spiderwoman ok

btw what happen to the hammer shank?
expand? crooked?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631600
10/13/08 11:40 AM
10/13/08 11:40 AM
Vancouver B. C. Canada
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Silverwood Pianos  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B. C. Canada
“btw what happen to the hammer shank?
expand? crooked?”

I think the G string got in the way…….

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631601
10/13/08 11:54 AM
10/13/08 11:54 AM
SW Missouri
S
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sam Casey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

SW Missouri
Folks ask me if I have women show up at the door in their nighties and I can honestly answer, "yes." However the women are usually in the 80's and without teeth and the loose bathrobe and nightgown the uniform of preference. Or the average house frau, wrapped tightly in her pink robe, hair askew, bleary eyed and saying, "I FORGOT you were coming today!"

I've only had one or two real vixens with near to nothing on, or walking about in bikinis. I'm as "male" as the next guy but this stuff does not interest me. Where's the piano, when was it tuned last, do you have any sticking keys, other problems, OK, I'm off to work.

Most women I deal with, (and most of my customers are women) really want to be taken seriously or just talked to about real things in life. Of course a strange man in the house is provoking on lots of levels. But I try to be everybody's favorite brother in law or uncle and dicey situations can be defused easily. I'm a bleeding capitalist. I want my earnings and on to the next one.

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631602
10/13/08 07:06 PM
10/13/08 07:06 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
reminder: ptg chastity belt must be worn for all beginner tuner, unless attain black belt level qualifiy by jerry smile

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631603
10/13/08 08:33 PM
10/13/08 08:33 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Sam reminds me of one more story..

As I left the house after the tuning, the lady followed me outside and we chatted. Beautiful sunny day. She was still in her bathrobe. She was a pretty gal, my age at the time, probably 30 or so.

Her child of about 4 or so, also followed her outside. Out of the clear blue, he grabbed the front of her bathroom and yanked it wide open! Being the gentlemen that I am, I didn't look but the peripheral vision still worked... shocked

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631604
10/13/08 11:13 PM
10/13/08 11:13 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
jerry, you have lots of interesting encounters, may we attach a satelite webcam on you so that we won't miss any ??

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631605
10/14/08 10:27 PM
10/14/08 10:27 PM
SW Missouri
S
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sam Casey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

SW Missouri
I just remembered another one: I have a customer that runs a fishing resort. At one time she had 5 pianos on the place. One of her favorites, a Hamilton, was in the bait shop, right around the corner from the minnow tank.

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631606
10/16/08 08:32 PM
10/16/08 08:32 PM
Caldwell, Idaho
Dennis Kelvie Offline
Dennis Kelvie  Offline

Caldwell, Idaho
I tuned a piano in a bowling alley once, during a tournament! Looooovely old upright! Someone had "refinished" it with naugahyde (cheap fake plastic "leather" for those of you in Anniheim)and buttons several years before. That was now cracked, buttons missing, cotton padding hanging out.

I was a pretty new tuner, but when I went back several hours later to check, it actually sounded pretty good!

Another time I tuned a piano in the middle of town and had to remove a LARGE mouse nest from under the keyboard. The owner and I were talking as I did so and he said, "Yep we do get mice in here from time to time, especially like now, in the Fall. Oh, look under the front door!"

I looked. There was a space less than 1/4" at the bottom of the door and I could see one VERY FLAT MOUSE squeezing his way into the room. When he got in, the owner stepped on him!

Dennis C. Kelvie
Piano Tuner/Technician since 1976
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631607
10/16/08 09:44 PM
10/16/08 09:44 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Splat .... oozz

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631608
10/17/08 02:35 PM
10/17/08 02:35 PM
Western Canada
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Diane...  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Western Canada
Okay I'm in! Here's a story from my tech! Hope he doesn't mind me sharing one of his stories! laugh

He was over tuning my studio piano when I was looking to buy a Kawai grand piano and when I told him this, he said he just rescued a Kawai grand from a sleezy hotel where they were pouring drinks, cigarette butts, and you name it into it. He got to take it home for free. He gave it some TLC, (okay lots . . . okay major TLC) and sold it to a good home! Not my home, but a home!

He thinks they weren't even playing it but were using it for everything else but for music! laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631609
10/17/08 03:04 PM
10/17/08 03:04 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
I once looked at a Baldwin D concert grand in a Tenderloin hotel in San Francisco. Sadly, I did not feel like rescuing it, though. It would have been too much trouble.

I think I related once about the first time I tuned for who is now probably the world's greatest pianist. I was stuck on the apron of the loading dock of the hall, with one corrugated steel door between me and the traffic, and another one between me and the orchestra winds, warming up for the New World Symphony.

I am reminded of that because I am back there tuning for him next week. I hope there will be more favorable circumstances. I will be going back and forth between two different shows that night, mercifully within walking distance.

Semipro Tech
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631610
10/17/08 04:07 PM
10/17/08 04:07 PM
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rod Verhnjak  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally posted by Diane...:
Okay I'm in! Here's a story from my tech! Hope he doesn't mind me sharing one of his stories! laugh

He was over tuning my studio piano when I was looking to buy a Kawai grand piano and when I told him this, he said he just rescued a Kawai grand from a sleezy hotel where they were pouring drinks, cigarette butts, and you name it into it. He got to take it home for free. He gave it some TLC, (okay lots . . . okay major TLC) and sold it to a good home! Not my home, but a home!

He thinks they weren't even playing it but were using it for everything else but for music! laugh
I have heard this before, I may know your technician.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631611
10/17/08 10:54 PM
10/17/08 10:54 PM
MN
T
Torger Offline
Torger  Offline
T

MN
i was asked to tune at a theatre during a lighting focus session..time was a factor and they had none of it......so a light would turn on, be focused as techs shouted back and forth, then the light was turned off, then another on....again about 50-100 times (small venue) and the light was never focused where i needed to see... sigh (consequently bought a headlight on my way home)

also I tuned in a house where the living room had been taken over by every child's toy from a major retailer (princess theme) , it took them about 5 minutes to clear a path to the front door just to open it.... and then we unburried the piano, that is of course after the horses and teddy bears let me pass.

Torger Baland
Piano Tuner / Technician
Minneapolis / St. Paul
www.PapagenoPianoTuning.com
Find us on Facebook
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631612
10/17/08 11:30 PM
10/17/08 11:30 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Yeah, I've had that many times too. That's maddening and very inconsiderate of them isn't it? What, they think we can see in the dark? I've asked politely before for them to leave them on the piano and hush up and if they didn't, I have walked out. Either turn on those lights and shut up or, bye bye... :-)

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631613
10/18/08 12:09 AM
10/18/08 12:09 AM
Nelson, BC
J
johnsfsr Offline
johnsfsr  Offline
J

Nelson, BC
A friend of mine got divorced and ended up living in his home made truck camper. He moved his large upright piano inside and asked me to tune it . Naturally the camper had a bit of a lean to it.

I accompany eurythmy classes a t a Waldorf school. On a monday morning, I started to play and a tinkle tinkle sound started to happen. the more I played the worse it got. the piano was locked and I had to wait until lunch to open it up to see what the heck was going on. On the floor of the piano was about 2 cups of wheat kernels. Some mouse was busy all weekend transporting wheat from one of the classrooms down the hall and storing it on top of the piano keys. I vacuumed it out and screwed some plywood to cover the access holes down at the bottom of the soundboard. I felt bad for the mouse.

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631614
10/18/08 12:38 AM
10/18/08 12:38 AM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
Yeah, I've had that many times too. That's maddening and very inconsiderate of them isn't it? What, they think we can see in the dark? I've asked politely before for them to leave them on the piano and hush up and if they didn't, I have walked out. Either turn on those lights and shut up or, bye bye... :-)
As a theatre lighting technician, I can tell you that this would be a pretty big request to make. Lighting focus needs to happen in complete and total darkness, and more times than not, the light board is being programmed simultaneously. Meaning, a light left on the piano would be programmed in to every single cue, which could be in the hundreds. That would be a mess. Lighting focus usually happens about a week out from performance, so yes time is a huge issue. The tech's only get about one day in the theatre to focus the lights and that's it. They're just there to do their job just like you're there to do yours. Asking them to leave some lights on and/or be quiet is akin to them asking you to stop plunking on the piano so they can hear each other's orders. Do you think your job is more important than theirs?

I don't mean to come off as a jerk or anything, and I can even relate. Painting a set is pretty hard during a lighting focus as well. But the tech's are just there to do a job that they have a very limited time frame on. Just like you.

To conclude, it is not inconsiderate of the techs. It is inconsiderate of the THEATRE MANAGEMENT. They're the one's who scheduled the piano to be tuned during a lighting session. So you must first learn to blame the right people.

thank you.

Les C Deal

Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631615
10/18/08 02:43 AM
10/18/08 02:43 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
That is why the battery powered LED head lamps should be a part of every tech's tool kit.

Semipro Tech
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631616
10/18/08 03:01 AM
10/18/08 03:01 AM
Olympia, WA
rysowers Offline
3000 Post Club Member
rysowers  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Olympia, WA
I once received an emergency phone call to tune pianos at one of our local colleges. They were having an event and learned that they needed an in-tune piano at the last minute. The event turned out to be a state hand bell choir conference. I had the pleasure of trying to tune a piano in a large auditorium amidst dozens of practicing hand bell choirs: a piano tuners nightmare! *Somehow* I got through it!

Another time I was called to tune a piano at J.Z. Knight's home in Yelm, Washington (J.Z. Knight channels "Ramtha" an ancient spirit from Atlantis, and runs the Ramtha School of Enlightenment). She had recently had her white Yamaha C3 Disklavier grand moved into the same room as her swimming pool! Her pet cockatiel kept landing on me while I worked - this was interesting at first but quite annoying after a while! One of the ladies who worked at the house asked me how long a piano lasts. I answered "if it's well cared for it will outlive you", she replied "We are going to live forever". The Ramtha followers apparently are trying to become immortals. I guess she should invest in a Steinway "the Instrument of Immortals!" Anyways at least I was able to sell J.Z. on a complete humidity control system for the piano. Now if they could just keep it plugged in! The humidity in there is a killer!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Re: Strangest place or circumstance #631617
10/18/08 10:54 AM
10/18/08 10:54 AM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Hi Charles,

Oh, it's okay, I understand. :-) You don't sound like you're coming off as a jerk. I hope I'm not either but, I think I did! :-) Let me explain a bit further.

First, I agree with you that you are not to blame because the management is the first place I go too. Or, I go to the person responsible for setting up the appointment with me.

Unfortunately, that's a major and important requirement of our job. Silence and lights.

However, sometimes, appointment times are just not related to the stage crew either. Other times, some people just walk on stage and stand around talking about nothing for 15 minutes thinking nothing of the noise levels. Others don't even try to be the least bit quiet. While, others do.

I make appointments for all tunings. I never just show up like some companies might. In these appointments, I request the room be empty and quiet for the time needed for the tuning. I usually set aside 2 hours in case something else is amiss. (I'm talking concert tunings here. 1 hour otherwise is plenty for me) When finished, I inform the proper party involved so they can continue on with whatever else needs to be done.

We really need total silence in order to hear it properly and of course, light to see.

Also, included in our time slot is trying to work around the musician's practice time, stage set up, lighting checks etc., so, I always try and work things out so can all have enough time to do our jobs.

If someone schedules something else over top of my time slot such as stage set up, lighting checks, bulb replacement, microphone checks, vacuuming, etc., we can't hear properly to tune and of course, can't see what we're doing either. It takes us twice as long sometimes then and costs the client more money too consequently.

After 40 years in the business I figure, if management can't understand the term quiet and alone then, I don't want to tune the piano because I want to do a good job, not a bad one. The person responsibly for the calendar is inconsiderate or doesn't understand the requirements of a technician or simply, does not care.

I always make that clear when I make the appointment in advance. If they choose to ignore it well, then, I have a choice to make. Either just do the best job I can (which often is what I choose to be the nice guy) which probably won't be a good tuning (depending on the noise levels) or I just simply walk off.

Walking off draws more attention as they want the piano tuned and proves the point. Either make the appointment and keep the time slot as required or, Jerry won't tune the piano. Why? Because I have a reputation to uphold and do not want the musician to say hey, that jerk did a lousy job when the musician and the rest of the staff will have no idea what took place to create that lousy job.

So, do I think my job is more important than yours? No! Of course not. But, I do think, reserving a certain appointment time slot is more important and that time slot needs to be honored. Otherwise, why make one? :-)

So, that's why I make the request politely first. It was supposed to be my reserved time slot.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,325
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission