2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jerry,

Like any business professional I require 24hrs. notice for a cancellation. What happens if you cancel with your doctor or your dentist without proper notice of 24hrs? They will bill you accordingly. This is no different. You are a business professional. Someone has just taken the opportunity away from you to rebook the time with someone else. They must be billed for the time loss. Not a full tuning. I bill for a service call 75% of the cost. If they refuse to pay I do not return. All customers are treated the same, old or new. They are all treated equally.

Now what do I do if I have ever forgotten about a tuning, and this has slipped my mind on occasion. I offer a free tuning because I took their time away from them. Fair is fair.

So I see the contrast between Bob and Jerry. Sometimes I'm like Bob (cool and forgiving), and sometimes like Jerry (expressive of emotions but within reason). That is all part of our work. We can't control other people's behavior.

JUNMER

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have billed several no shows for a service call cost. No one has ever paid, though.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have billed several no shows for a service call cost. No one has ever paid, though. - Bob
'Same here. I bill no shows. So far it just gives the P.O. some money. Thankfully there aren't many of them. (one or two in a bad year)

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
It's a quandry...the people I WOULD bill for no-shows would never pay. If people have a really good medical excuse or they are longtime clients, I don't have the heart to do it.

But I should....

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Everybody has a life and S**T happens. Most no shows are memory lapses. When contacted the folks usually apologize for 45 minutes. If they are simply flakes and irresponsible I do not darken their door again. It does not happen often and I don't bill. God knows I have my failings too.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I talk to every customer the night before to confirm the appointment. No exceptions. If I get an answering machine, I leave a message for them to call me to confirm. If they don't call me back, I cancel the appointment. It's too expensive to drive around and hope the customer is there.

I hate it when the costumer has piano tuning and repair as a hobby. And they just want to learn to tune so they can tune their own piano and save all that money on tunings.

I always say, so to save yourself from a 200 dollar a year bill tops you're going to spend how many hours learning this? With the end result being a rank amateur tunes your piano?

I know I've completely crushed a few people with this line...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Believe it or not but, I have had a no show because the client died the night before.

I don't bill them until I find out the reason behind it. A couple of times it's been heart attacks in the family or other emergencies in which case, no problem. Crap happens... Or the flu, I didn't want it anyway.

But, rudeness and inconsiderate people? Warning first, if it's a newbie then, a bill. Depending on how rude they are, maybe a bill now and a warning. laugh Things can happen but, for a person to just expect us to accept their explanation of, well, I am going to reschedule, when it's already too late to fill it in as I'm standing on their front stoop is just plain stupid really.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
I had a customer call me two hours before the appointment to tell me he was at the hospital with his son who had "groined out" on his bicycle and was in surgery! I thought it was a good reason to cancel and thanked him for letting me know. I too have had a customer die before the appointed time. Received the call the day before the appointment to tell me.

Most of my customers are pretty faithful about keeping their appointments. I hate it when they say, "I don't know if I will be home tomorrow, but if you come at xxxxx time and wait, I might show up. . .as if I have time to just go there and sit on a "maybe!"

Dennis C. Kelvie
Piano Tuner/Technician since 1976
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OUCH. I know that feeling all too well having owned a bike as a teenager that skipped when you stood up to pedal hard when racing someone. Needless to say, the bike didn't last long before I smashed it to bits.

I've had that too, "I might show up if..." To which I say, oh, well, in that case, I MIGHT show up too, orrrrrrrrrr NOT.... Adding, either you're going to be there or you're not but, I refuse to play guessing games so, make up your mind... That usually gets them to show up.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
when you drive up to McD's for breakfast, say to the box, "Sauage egg and cheese bagel and a senior coffee, one Equal" and get nothing. Not a peep from the box. Again, louder, "SAUSAGE EGG AND CHEESE BAGEL AND A SENIOR COFFEE, ONE EQUAL." Again nothing. You lean closer to the window and bopp your head against the glass because the WINDOW IS STILL CLOSED. Roll down the window and a tiny voice from the box says, "is anybody there?"

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission