2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seems like I go through mutes like ink pens. No matter how careful I am, I end up short one mute now and then. In fact, I have a good supply of rubber mutes and wire handles that I keep in my supplies. They only cost a few cents, but dang I hate it when I do lose one.

Jerry I love that tuning fork site. I even checked my A and C fork with it. One thing I guess I am most paranoid about is that my tuning forks are exactly right on pitch. I probably should not even state this here, but I must admit very sheepishly, I have been using these Walker forks since 1984. Oh I check them on a regular basis, probably about once a month, and more often when I find a site like Jerry gives above.
I'm just overly paranoid about these forks because I have been using them so long. Maybe it's time for some new ones????? Gosh, if I lost these, it would take a few days to get some new ones in here. Now I'm really getting paranoid!!!!

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I hate it when I drop one of my forks on the hard ground somewhere. That's all it takes to knock a little chunk out of it and the pitch is messed up again. Or, drop a tuning hammer and break off a hammer? Or, ding the fall board?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jerry, I've heard that even a speck of rust on the fork will throw it off. Is that true? I just checked my C523.3 a minute ago with a magnifying glass; rust free. But I will be ordering a new one tomorrow if for no other reason than for a back-up. When I checked the fork a few weeks ago with an ETD, it was at pitch. But when I compared to the C523.3 on that web site, I get a very slight beat about every 2 or three seconds. That makes it off in my book, but I need to check against another pitch references to make sure. But I think it's time for a new C523.3. What say you Jerry?

When I checked my A440 fork, it was dead on with the web site pitch reference.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gee, I don't know Ron. Rust? I didn't even know those suckers could rust, can they? I hadn't heard that one before. I do know that you can file them to raise the pitch or lower it but it's been so long since I've done that, I've forgotten how. I'm sure one of the guys will be happy to tell us though. My fork is a little flat of Cyber Tuner too.

Here's another interesting web site for some of you that think you have perfect pitch.

http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/index.html

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure where I read it Jerry. Like most things in this wonder Information Age, I like second opinions. But I think it's time for some new forks, since these are of 1984 vintage. Thanks for your opinion.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I dropped a mute down behind the action of an upright the other day. I was sure I'd remember to retrieve it before I left, but of course I didn't. Luckily, when I realized I was missing it a few days later, I knew exactly where it was--and I was going back in a few weeks for another tuning (big pitch raise the first time). Luckily I remembered to retrieve it when I went back! The customer thought it was pretty funny for me to open up the bottom of their piano and pull out my lost mute.

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh heck, 1984? Sure, why not! You deserve a FEW brand new ones!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've found as many mutes as I've lost...mostly my own 6 months or a year later.

After a while, you won't drop as many. When I first went into business, my most valuable tool was my long tweezers--mostly for pulling dropped mutes out of actions. One of the best tools I've bought in recent years is a mechanic's magnet with a telescopic shaft, great for removing mutes, flange screws, or anything else steel (no brass parts...). It's so strong, it could probably yank fillings out of your teeth if they were steel.

Tuning forks' pitch will vary with nicks, any kind of corrosion, or temperature. Sensitive little things, ain't they?

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yaaa, almost as sensitive as my wife. laugh I didn't say that!
:p
Mutes... Have you ever tried rounding them off at the same time cutting it back just a wee wee bit?? Cutting it back removes that excess wiggle part of the rubber that is worthless and gets in the way all the time. Know what I mean? Makes it a little bit stiffer.

Or, cutting the corners off on an angle like this? / \ leaving about a 1/8" center? They stick between the strings easier. Up in the high treble, if you can't see it, or to tired to look you can go "tink tink tink" quickly counting the strings as you "tink" past them shoving in the next spot.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
A
A
Piano Tek has a rubber mute with a really long wire handle. Now I have to try pretty hard drop it down behind the action. Still manage it occasionally.

Steven
RPT
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yep, I definitely see new tuning forks being delivered by the faithful UPS man in a few days.
I dont see any corrosion, or nicks even with a magnifying glass, but they are old enough to be retired. Temperature is indeed a big consideration for tuning forks.

I use that telescopic magnet tool quite a bit, Dave. It saves opening bottom boards all the way to retrieve a dropped mute among other things. But the best use I have had for that thing was last spring. I happened to lock my keys in my auto. Luckily I left the window down about 2 inches. There they were lying on the middle console. After a few minutes of scratching my head, and breathing a few choice words under my breathe, I remembered that telescoping magnet.
I fished'em out in only two tries. That made my day!

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
A
A
Somewhere in the PTG archives is a piece on re-calibrating forks.

Steven
RPT
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have a fork I carry with me and another which I keep as a reference. They never vary audibly, though.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
During my apprenticeship, my mentor cut a pair of mutes for me from a beautiful royal purple slab of hammer underfelt. I became about as attached to those 2 wedges as a person could possibly be. 3hearts
As time went by I lost one of them. The other one I guarded closely. About five years later, I was tuning an upright player and wouldn't you know it - the mute dropped down and into the mechanism. I rooted around for it as long as I dared, but I couldn't find it or get it out. I was never called back to tune that piano, but I remembered what house my favorite tuning mute was in (not that far away) and I still harbored hopes of recovering it one day..

Over the years the acute pain of loss subsided. Last spring I was called to a neighborhood house at the end of my block to tune and appraise a piano. It was an old player and the owner wanted to sell it. She had bought it about ten years ago. I could see there had been some mouse activity. When I removed the bottom panel, I saw a corner of a piece of purple felt laying behind the exhauster bellows. I pulled it out and sure enough, it was my old tuning mute! The mice had dragged it from where I had dropped it to a place where it was visible. Completely chewed up by mice and moths by now, it was unmistakably the mute that I had received from the hand of the Master over twenty years back.

It had been returned to me. I was convinced it was an omen. Of what, I wasn't entirely sure. But maybe in ten years I shall find out.

Meet My Missing Mute:
[Linked Image]

JG
A
A
That's a good story. Maybe we could train mice to retrieve our dropped mutes and tools.
Actually I've been thinking about training a monkey to move the mutes as I tune. Eventually I could train it to do some regulation.
When work is slow, I could be an organ grinder!
Maybe I should contact Schaff about this idea.

Steven
RPT
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love that monkey commercial. The "Trunk Monkey." Have you seen it?

Jurgen, your mute was a happy source for not only yourself in tuning but, it helped to keep the little "mouseys" snug and warm during the cold winter months and it fed the moths! smile laugh Now you can make new ones for about 200 of us that fell in love with it here!!!!! laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really dont have time, but I gotta respond to this one. Love the mute story Jurgen! And Steven that mouse mute grabber might not be a bad idea. But I think I'd grind his/her teeth down a little before I store it in my tool bag. The "Trunk Monkey" idea is great, especially for those harder to please customers..hehe

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
IF one were so inclined, the mute story would make a great kid's book. All snuggly and stuff. Thanks for sharing that one, Jurgen.

I'm still hoping to find my favorite capstan tool someday.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
Not so long ago I left a rubber mute behind on the keyboard. Got talking and went on my way. By the time I arrived home [20 minutes] my wife explained my client had called very concerned that I had left a tool behind. I checked the kit, all holes appeared full and tools accounted for. With in minutes a knock came at the door. An elderly gentleman was standing there smiling, with my mute in his outstretched hand. "I was afraid you needed this". His son had frantically called him to get this tool back to me, as he couldn't do it himself. I did not have the heart to explain to this gentleman, I had a bag full of them, and there was no need for his 20 minute trek, to return my left behind tool. Very thoughtful of those people, and well appreciated by me for their concern !!

Richard, the"Piano Guy"
Piano Moving Tuning & Repair
From London ON to Fort Erie ON
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I hate it when you pull in the drive 50 miles from home ready for the 1st piano of 6 or 7, jump out and reach for your tool case which should be in the back but which is actually sitting in your shop 50 miles away while the lady is peering out the window at you staring blankly into the void mumbling obscenities. [/QB]
This would make a great example for a punctuation/grammar textbook. When I first read it I actually thought the LADY was mumbling obscenities (but of course that would NEVER happen!!)

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission