2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#626822 05/31/08 05:52 PM
OP Offline
I've been wondering what happens to a piano's sound when it gets a total rebuild. Does it become something new, relative to the person performing the rebuild? Do rebuilders use the same parts a new piano of the same brand would have? Would a M&H get one soundboard while a Steinway would get something different?

#626823 05/31/08 10:44 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If a piano needs a total rebuild, we should all hope that it will sound different when finished. After all, if a person likes the way the piano sounds, why should rebuilding be considered?

I always use a particular type of soundboard and rib stock, because I am familiar with it's working characteristics and know what to expect. Some piano makers have changed the species of spruce in their boards. Perhaps for availabilty reasons, maybe for cost, maybe for a change in design philosophy.

New parts from a manufacturer may not be the best choice for an older instrument. For instance, I may use Renner whips in a Mason & Hamlin action but I'll most likely use Abel Hammer shanks as Abel makes a better geometry shanks for the standard Wessell Nickel and Gross action of 80 years ago. If I'm having a new keyset made I have the option of redesigning the key geometry and using a number of other options.

So the answer is, "It depends"

Perhaps if you could shine a little more light on what is concerning you, it would be easier to give you more information.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
#626824 06/01/08 08:03 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Dale for responding to my query! I'm less concerned than curious. In my search for a piano, I've not discounted the "pre-loved" instruments. I've noticed there are many M&H and Steinway rebuilds and my train of thought has led me to wonder how the sound changes in a rebuilt piano as compared to a new piano of the same manufacturer/model. Is it possible that each rebuilder would create a sound unique to his/her choice of parts/soundboard? Would all pianos a particualr rebuilder completes have a similar sound?

#626825 06/01/08 01:22 PM
E
E
when l undertake a complete rebuild l always explain to the customer that the piano will sound and play completley diffrent to what it does now.whatever make of piano you are restoreing your aim should be to bring it back to how it was when new,whilst keeping the pianos indervidual uniquness in tact(you dont want to try and make a bluthner sound like a steinway
!).l always have hammers bored to patern and will replace felts,leathers and springs with replacements that are as near to origional as possible this will ensure your piano will play as it should.you will find most pre made springs are not as fine as they used to be and there is not a great diffrence in hammer felts as there was in the past.it is pretty much impossible to find relacement parts of a quality to match what you will be replaceing but there are still some excellent bass string makers.as for your question about wether diffrent rebuilders have a "trade mark" sound,the answere has got to be no!!..if all my rebuilds sounded the same l would be mortified!...by the way,great question!

#626826 06/01/08 11:06 PM
The final result of the complete rebuild piano greatly depends on the person performing the rebuilding work. Mason & Hamlin as well as Steinway pianos are handmade instruments. Even so, these manufacturers use advance technology in their piano production. Specifications for certain parts used in these instruments are not available for common rebuilder. For instance, Steinway & Sons soundboard makers use old traditional techniques (or secrets of the trade) that are passed from one artisan to another.

In addition, final outcome of the sound highly depends on the quality of the parts used during restoration. It is very hard to predict the outcome of the sound quality that the piano will have, but even more complicated to distinguish the sound outcome if the rebuilder used different parts from different manufacturer. It means that the rebuilder is still on a try out stage of rebuilding. The most respectable companies nowadays use Renner parts. They are different by their wood and felt quality. As a result, it is to be expected for the sound to be different.

For the restoration of the piano, a rebuilder must have five of the following:

1. skill: ability in performing high-level of work in piano rebuilding
2. equipment: tools and devices to help achieve uniformity as well as quality in restoration
3. technology: knowledge of all aspects of piano building and understanding the use of tool
4. parts: essential materials and components for rebuilding
5. will: the most important is a motivation of the rebuilder to complete quality job

A rebuilder, who follows all of the above, will bring the piano close to its original condition or even better.

Gene Korolev, RPT
President, Master Piano Rebuilder

PIANO SOLUTIONS XXI
Exclusive Piano Restoration, Custom Piano Design and Sales
http://www.pianosxxi.com | http://www.custompianodesign.com
#626827 06/02/08 08:08 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted By pianosxxi:In addition, final outcome of the sound highly depends on the quality of the parts used during restoration. It is very hard to predict the outcome of the sound quality that the piano will have, but even more complicated to distinguish the sound outcome if the rebuilder used different parts from different manufacturer. It means that the rebuilder is still on a try out stage of rebuilding. The most respectable companies nowadays use Renner parts.
Renner makes good parts and hammers. So do Steinway, Abel, and others. Plenty of respectable rebuilders use one or more of these in their restorations. Folks who are well beyond 'try out' stage.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
#626828 06/05/08 03:16 PM
E
E
all decent pianos are "hand made",as rich said the best parts are made by renner and abel(renner make steinway actions)like l said if you want the piano you are restoring to be like it was when new.. keep everything as origionall as possible.

#626829 06/06/08 12:02 AM
I just finished a 1915 Mason & Hamlin 6' Restoration included restringing,High gloss rubbed finish in black,The only thing that was not replaced because it was still in very good shape was the soundboard and bridges.The cracks that were there did not go through when dried out.The customer also agreed before I proceeded with the restoration. I am making this piano available to playing and viewing whoeve wishes to see it. it is a remarkable sounding piano and the finish will be done in two weeks.The sound is unique to this piano and all work has been done to preserve the original inegrity of M&H, right down to the decals.

Jeffrey T. Swensen
35 years doing restorations
Tuning,Moving,Actions,Refinishing,
Restringing, Estimates,Players
jeffreyswensen@comcast.net

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission