2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#625820 02/13/09 03:56 PM
OP Offline
Howdy Folks, :p

I'm new to the Forum and as a Randy Potter Student, new to Piano Tech work in general and hence my question.

I've just got into the Key and key bushing repair part of the course. It talks about the Genisis Jig and The Bushmaster tool. How many of you guys use these tools? I'm not going to go out and buy any tool until I really need it or can otherwise justify the purchase but I sure would appreciate your input on this.

That Bushmaster tool really works slick for setting that bushing felt in properly. (as shown in my school video) I haven't tried the manual method yet but that's my next step according to the course instructions. I've got the sample keys (sharps and Nats) and bushing materials as will as a white bushing caul tool.

As for this Forum, It's really great to read and see all the interest in the various topics. Thanks in advance... thumb

Scooter

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
#625821 02/14/09 01:07 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hey Scooter,

Welcome to the forum. I don’t use the Bushmaster tool myself, but maybe some of the others do .Also try doing a search in the search bar and see if you can come up with any comments about the Bushmaster item.

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com

#625822 02/14/09 02:47 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Silver,
I was just trying to see what other ways of doing the job would be.

I think, for key top prep the G. jig is a great way to go. Cost is low, speed is really good and trying to peal off tops that have the wrong glue on them is fixed by using the jig. Plus key base prep is done as will as is keytop height. Just glue on the new tops, finish work, and re-install at the client's home.

The Bushmaster tool can do a whole set of keys in a few minutes and get all installed to the same specs.

I'll do the search and thanks for the help.

If anyone else has a different method they could describe, I'd sure appreciate the lesson.

Thanks, smile
Scooter

Scott
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
#625823 02/14/09 02:53 PM
J
J
Scooter,

Welcome and congrats on your attitude! I'm also a Randy Potterite. First, the Bushmaster tool is just the greatest thing since sliced hammers. Now, having said that, follow Randy's advice very closely and don't buy ANY tool until you have a job coming up in the next week or so which requires it. As an acquisitive tool freak, I did NOT follow that advice and have excellent tools I haven't used yet and probably won't for some years more. If you join PTG or have a mentor (or both) you'll have plenty of oppotunities to try tools before you put out the big bucks to add them to your kit(s).

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
#625824 02/14/09 03:08 PM
OP Offline
Hi Jim,

Good advice. I read that (don't buy until you need it) in Randy's course too. I'm trying to resist but my hand keeps going for my wallet! Durn! I'll admit I like tools. My wife can't keep me out of the hardware stores and junk stores looking for "TOOLS"! At least I'm not in the bar spending my money on .. er .. other things! (grin).

I'm mainly getting the stuff I'll need for the pre-piano check-out, and trying to acquire some of the other catalogs like pianoteks.

Got to try to get a profit margin acquired first.

Some course huh! Lot's of info!

Thanks

Scooter

Scott
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
#625825 02/14/09 10:40 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Bushmaster for me.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission