2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RoyP:
I plan on going for at least a day or two. Like Jerry, it's been a while since I've hit a national.

Any other good seminars we should know about?
Its hard to beat the California State Conference!

http://www.calstateptgconference.com/

May the Force be with you...always...

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rysowers:
[QB]Its hard to beat the California State Conference!
...or, if you are on the East Coast, the MARC in Pennsylvania:
http://www.ptgmarc.org/

JG
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Roy, I signed up at the PTG website to receive emailing on up coming seminars. While, this year anyway, I cannot attend any seminars, I get about one sent to me a month, approximately that time frame anyway.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
-------------------------------------------------
quote:
Well, that depends on how nice Ron is to me between now and THEN.
-------------------------------------------------

I'm on my best behaviourousness Jerry. Honest. I'm being so good, even Santa Clause would be impressed!!! laugh I know you are getting on up there in years Jer..hehe...you do remember who Santa Clause is dontcha!!! eek Guess I wont win any points with that one...huh?

I am looking forward to the Convention this year.
I havent been to one since 1984 when it was held in Indianapolis. Looking forward to meeting some Forumites too!!!

Thanks for the updates Ryan, keep them coming.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks. What I actually meant was other classes at the Grand Rapids convention. Don't they usually have several different all-day classes? Sorry I wasn't clear.

I did get a flyer for the California seminar yesterday. It looks good, but it's a little out of the way for me. But hey, if it stays as cold here as it is now, I may be looking for a flight out of town.

I've been to the MARC, and it certainly worth attending. Most years I haven't been able to attend the national, so I've gone to one of the regionals.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Roy, the National is within driving distance for you, I should think. No expensive flight, anyhow. Yes, the usually have some all day classes. As well they have several dozen other classes and seminars to chose from over the course of the convention. Hey, yours truly got a call today, asking if I could help out on a 2-session class on repair techniques. Looks like I'll have to get practicing...

JG
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh boy! We get to watch Jurgen. Can't wait till after that class though for his free drinks. [Linked Image]

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Free drinks?

hmmmm . . .

Kawai will be there as usual, and is planning to bring a Shigeru Kawai concert grand again, along with a bunch of other pianos as usual.

We expect it to be a great convention.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
Oh boy! We get to watch Jurgen. Can't wait till after that class though for his free drinks. [Linked Image]
Jerry, It might be more interesting to buy him the free drinks... before the class!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Any other news yet on the convention yet Ryan?

Trying to keep this up higher here a little for ya too...

I plan on sending in my money for my son and myself for it this month yet sometime..

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hooray! [Linked Image] The website is finally up along with the list of classes! Go to: http://www.ptg.org/conv/2009
Many will be interested to see the following:

All Day Voicing Seminar with Andre Oorebeek, Concert Piano Service, the Netherlands
This 4-period class starts with raw Renner/Wurzen felt hammers on new shanks. Discusses felt production, action friction, shaping the new hammers, complete voicing, and concert preparation. This class was top-rated at the Canadian Assoc. of Piano Technicians Seminar in July 2008. Learn the complete story!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'll decline to comment on the drinks for now...

"Many will be interested to see the following:
All Day Voicing Seminar with Andre Oorebeek, Concert Piano Service, the Netherlands
This 4-period class starts with raw Renner/Wurzen felt hammers on new shanks. Discusses felt production, action friction, shaping the new hammers, complete voicing, and concert preparation. This class was top-rated at the Canadian Assoc. of Piano Technicians Seminar in July 2008. Learn the complete story!"
This class is planned for all day Thursday. Why sit in one class for a whole day, you may ask...

Well, we had Andre here for 1-1/2 days and it was amazing. I must have sat through a good dozen of voicing seminars, and a week later, in front of a piano, I was still scratching my head, wondering what to do...

Fact is, there are many, many different approaches and techniques in voicing that can lead to good and predictable results. But only if the whole picture is understood and the technique is followed through from start to finish.

This is probably why I never came away from these seminars, some given by top techs, with as much insight as I had hoped. A two hour seminar is simply too short to get a grasp of the larger picture.

The full day seminar is a great way to go - we will get to see a complete voicing, from start to finish, from the lowest at bass through to the top treble, with all the steps and stages in between. Andre`s seminar will be an eye opener for anyone, even advanced voicers.

When his work was finished at the piano he did for us in Vancouver, I dont think anyone present had ever heard a Yamaha sound so rich and round and powerful.

JG
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes I second Jurgen’s comments. The only thing he missed on was that André, this guy works FAST!!
I mean really fast….it surprised me the tempo he works at… and without error too….
cool

Maybe Jurgen's class is about mixing drinks you never know..... wink

www.silverwoodpianos.com

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Fast, fast??? Did I not mention fast? It must have passed me by...

Yes, extremely fast, very precise and with a high degree of continuity. He would be adjusting the rep springs at a breakneck speed, zip, zip, zip, all the while explaining to us how and where and why etc... It was really something to experience...

Acquiring these skills is very conducive to making a decent living in this business...

JG
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
[QB] Hooray! [Linked Image] The website is finally up along with the list of classes! Go to: http://www.ptg.org/conv/2009
Here's another 'heads-up': the "Schedule" link in the center is not active yet, but you can find the class schedule in the PDF version, center button at the top of the class info.

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here is an example of one of the great learning opportunities at this year's convention: A chance to study regulating with Rick Baldassin and other top notch techs from around the country!:

Are You Regulationally Challenged? with Rick Baldassin, RPT, Renner, USA, Richard Davenport, RPT, Los Angeles Chapter, Michael Spreeman, RPT, Ravenscroft Pianos and Carl Teel, Renner USA
When trying to remedy an action that does not function properly, a timely and accurate diagnosis is crucial. Ten action models will be prepared to malfunction in a variety of ways. In the first period, class members in small groups will analyze and propose solutions to these problems. In the second period, the proper diagnosis for each model will then be shown, and the model restored to proper function. This format allows plenty of time to discuss function of the principles of grand regulation that relate to each problem. Class limit 30. You must pre-register for this class.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Dang, Ryan...I wanted that one...

But it's only offered on Thursday, and I hope to be in the "37 Steps" class all day.

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I sent in my $1,003.00 for my son's and my registration yesterday. I included 3 or 4 of the pre-registration classes for the both of us!! So, I should be good to go!

I decided to have Bill Bremmer tutor him in a one on one class as well.

They have some fabulous classes to choose from! That's the most difficult part of all for me. Let's see, this one is on this day but, I want to go see this one too! Eeeny meenie miney moe...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
And...a bump to announce that the 'Schedule' link is now active!

PTG Associate Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I just talked with Sandy. Have my reservations confirmed for all "special classes" for my son along with a tuning tutoring class for him as well. HAH, beat you all! I'm good to go!!!

Better call home office and confirm your regulation classes if you reserved times because Sandy said the vertical regulation class was changed to a different day. I suggested they change the other from Thursday to another day because everyone I know is attending the voicing class but, she didn't think they were planning on doing that... Just so you know...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission