Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (BethRH, Animisha, b3maniac, AprilE, 36251, apianostudent, Alan F, ando, 12 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623357
05/29/08 05:17 PM
05/29/08 05:17 PM
Kalamazoo Michigan
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
RPD  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Kalamazoo Michigan
If I lived in a city, I'd chuck it all and buy a MoPed! RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623358
05/29/08 09:37 PM
05/29/08 09:37 PM
USA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bob  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

USA
In Chicago, I had a Subaru Forester - the four wheel drive was great in the snow. In Florida, I had a Honda CRV, (25 MPG) which I just gave to my wife and bought a Mazda 3 hatch (29 MPG) 8sec 0-60 (fun to drive). I bought 6 $10.00 tool boxes from Home Depot. They fit in the back, hold all my tools, strings, liquids, etc. and create a flat surface to put actions on if needed - but most actions fit on the back seat. I pack them in with a moving blanket or two, and they are secure.

Honda is making more hybrid models for 2010. The fit will be a hybrid. The current Honda Civic with it's non folding and too narrow rear seat is too small for actions. The Prius is also too narrow, but the rear seat folds down to make room for actions slid in from the rear.

Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623359
06/01/08 07:50 AM
06/01/08 07:50 AM
MN
T
Torger Offline
Torger  Offline
T

MN
I drive a Toyota Corolla enjoy about 30 MPG in the city and about 40 on the highway,
I haven't had any issues fitting things in back.

I'm considering building a small trailer for my bike and using that for the close (<3 miles )tuning appointments - Somehow I doubt i'd get a 'nice wheels' comment if clients greeted me at their gates.

Torger Baland
Piano Tuner / Technician
Minneapolis / St. Paul
www.PapagenoPianoTuning.com
Find us on Facebook
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623360
06/01/08 09:51 AM
06/01/08 09:51 AM
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
K

Originally posted by Papageno:

I'm considering building a small trailer for my bike and using that for the close (<3 miles )tuning appointments - Somehow I doubt i'd get a 'nice wheels' comment if clients greeted me at their gates.
Think again.
I'd shake your hand.
$5 gas will be here soon.

Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623361
06/01/08 03:38 PM
06/01/08 03:38 PM
United Arab Emirates
junmer Offline
junmer  Offline

United Arab Emirates
I drive a petrol guzzling Ford Explorer. Very safe, comfortable and powerful.

I noticed that whenever I rent an economy car to temporarily replace the Explorer when it is being serviced, I don't get the same treatment from customers as when I am using the big one. I am given a higher esteem based on the car I am driving. Is that to be expected?

JUNMER

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623362
06/01/08 05:08 PM
06/01/08 05:08 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Yes, I think so. I find the same thing. Cars are a status symbol so it seems. The better looking they are, the richer people think the next guy are so, they better we are treated.

Never mind that the vast majority of them are so fricken far in debt it ain't even funny but, gotta impress each other anyway I guess. laugh I'll impress them with my paid for car! laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623363
06/01/08 05:09 PM
06/01/08 05:09 PM
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
K

Originally posted by junmer:
I drive a petrol guzzling Ford Explorer. Very safe, comfortable and powerful.

I noticed that whenever I rent an economy car to temporarily replace the Explorer when it is being serviced, I don't get the same treatment from customers as when I am using the big one. I am given a higher esteem based on the car I am driving. Is that to be expected?

JUNMER
Could that be all in your mind?
Partially in your mind?
We tend to see what we are looking for, or assume others share our values.
Then again among piano owners there may be a snob or two. shocked

I know plenty of people who look down on people with gas guzzlers.
But then maybe I tend to see what I'm looking for.
Times are changing.

Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623364
06/01/08 05:11 PM
06/01/08 05:11 PM
D
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dave Stahl  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

I think my '99 Saab 9.3 with 145,000 miles on it might last until somebody comes out with a good hybrid van.

The hatchback is great. I can fit a ton of stuff--and hide it.

First choice in a perfect world would be my bicycle. But like many others, I travel too far and carry too much stuff for that.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623365
06/01/08 09:15 PM
06/01/08 09:15 PM
Strong, Maine
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David Jenson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Strong, Maine
I'd personally go for the paid-for model ... whatever it is, and however funny it might look. To heck with status!

If they are impressed with my bank-owned car and ignore my drop-dead good looks and unmatched technical skill, well ... just forget 'em!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623366
06/02/08 09:07 AM
06/02/08 09:07 AM
SW Missouri
S
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sam Casey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

SW Missouri
I have a 1980 Chevy C-10, bought brand new and quipped with a Tommy Gate for moving pianos. 140K on it, 3 "on the tree" inline 250-6. Looks like heck, as would be expected with a truck stored outside 28 years. About 8 years ago a customer of mine, a middle aged fellow, wanted his Knabe grand, 5'8" rebuilt, (block, shim board, stringing, hammers, keytops, regulation, etc.) When I came to the house with my old faithful rust bucket his wife pulled him aside and whispered "Your NOT letting somebody with a truck like THAT take our piano are you??" He and I got a good laugh over that.

For me newer vehicles pose several benefits; depreciation off taxes, dependability, (my time is too valuable to waste at a mechanic or to lose use of my SUV until fixed), cash flow, (I do 35K miles a year. ANY car with 150K miles needs far more frequent attention and subsequent expense and loss of time. I'd rather make the payment.)

Status is not a good word. IMHO credibility is better. The customer in general has no clue what is involved in piano service. Symbols of prosperity, as crude and clumsy as it may seem, are important to many people. I've had more than one customer mention the old wreck the previous guy parked in the drive. Saying that, there are MANY fine tuners in my area that do not share my opinion. Always has worked for me. Given the amount time on the road comfort is an important fatigue issue. I like my sunroof and good sound system and 6 way adjustable seats.

Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623367
06/02/08 12:17 PM
06/02/08 12:17 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Here's the flip side story to SUV's and driving luxury cars.

I have a good technician friend who through all of his working tuning life, drove the worst looking, most ugly cars I'd ever seen. He was laughed at a lot of the time and teased by fellow technicians including my dad. He always laughed right along with them. This fellow was a very highly respected tuner technician here. Consequently, he was also very busy too, regardless of what he was driving.

This man retired about 10 years ago now. Starting in his early to mid 50's, he started traveling already.

One day, we got to talking about retirement after I saw him drive his brand new full sized custom made conversion van to a tuners meeting. He also drove a brand new motor home to Florida every winter for 6 months where he stayed in his paid for home there too!

That day, he said to me "Jer, do you remember all of those crappy cars I'd been driving and all of the fun and laughter the guys had as my expense, not that I minded it one bit, I would have done likewise?" I said, oh, sure I most certainly do Dale! He laughed and said, "do you know NOW what I was doing with all of my money??? I had a house that was paid for, no kids at home, no charge cards, nothing else to pay for so, I put all of my money into investments every single week."

He continued saying he'd been to Africa 10 times so far, travels all over the world whenever he feels like it, has half residencey in Florida and said, you can do it too Jer, anyone can, provided you save it, instead of "throwing it away like most people do. Spend it later, don't spend it now."

A point I'd like to make is that we are NOT what we drive or what we own as is the tendency in today's society. We are, what we are, through ethics, honesty, quality and how we treat others. At least, that's how I see it.

If people don't like you for what you drive. Who's got the problem?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623368
06/02/08 01:38 PM
06/02/08 01:38 PM
United Arab Emirates
junmer Offline
junmer  Offline

United Arab Emirates
Well said, Jer. thumb

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623369
06/02/08 01:51 PM
06/02/08 01:51 PM
Garden State, USA
Mechanical Doll Offline
Mechanical Doll  Offline

Garden State, USA
Originally posted by kenny:
I have my eyes on a Honda Fit. The back seats are very versatile. You can fold the bottom portion up and it gives you a space 50" high.

Or you can fold the seat backs down and you get a cargo space that's perfectly flat and 58" long - my grand's action is only 53" long.

The Fit starts at only $13,950.
EPA rates them at 34 MPG (only 6 MPG worse than my the EPA for my hybrid) and there are plans for a hybrid Fit soon.
Honda better retain the Fit's clever back seat flexibility though.
I was lurking and admittedly don't know bubkes about tuning (other than I needed to get it done once every six months when I had a spinet) but I'm a Fit fanatic and would offer the following observations:

1) It gets great gas mileage on the highway. For the 2008 automatic sport the quoted numbers are 27/33, however when traveling in fairly light, occasional-stoplight traffic (i.e. NOT midtown Manhattan rush hour traffic) I was getting as little as 20mpg on a new car. eek Happily, on the open road, doing roughly 65mph, it gets the promised 30+. I'm looking forward to their 2009 Hybrid offering .

2) You can fold every seat (including the driver's!) which makes for a lot of interior room. However, keep in mind that whatever it is you want to carry, needs to either fit in through the doors or the hatch. Unfortunately the rear hatch is not square in shape, more like an upside down trapezoid-ish shape, so things that would fit in the car, might NOT fit through the opening (I learned this the hard way last trip to IKEA.)

3) If you like listening to music wink , go for the Sport package. It has a more powerful sound system. And the fog lights are useful.

Originally posted by Mark Purney:
I went with a hatchback. Fits all my tools, upright tilter, and grand action caddy. Gas mileage isn't the best, but it's so much fun to drive that I don't really care.

[Linked Image]
We've got a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport too. smile It's got a larger hatch opening (thank god, I would have been stranded at IKEA otherwise) and a fabulous drive. But that 20/27 mileage quote is a killer with current gas prices.

I can usually fill my Fit tank for under $35. It costs mom $50 to fill the Subaru eek

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623370
06/02/08 01:58 PM
06/02/08 01:58 PM
London
Innominato Offline
500 Post Club Member
Innominato  Offline
500 Post Club Member

London
"That day, he said to me "Jer, do you remember all of those crappy cars I'd been driving and all of the fun and laughter the guys had as my expense, not that I minded it one bit, I would have done likewise?"

This reminds me of a book I read and re-read and would make compulsory reading at school:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Millionaire...mp;s=books&qid=1212429499&sr=8-1

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Re: What should a piano tech drive? #623371
06/02/08 08:06 PM
06/02/08 08:06 PM
Fayette City,PA. 15438
Jim Berna Offline
Jim Berna  Offline

Fayette City,PA. 15438
I drive a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with stow and go! I keep my parts boxes and my tool box in the rear well, this way my boxes do not have a tendency to slide, and also if I get an action, I can fold the intermediate seats down and safely carry the action! Milage is about 25 on highway and 21 in city! Great vehicle!
Jim Berna

Nothin like a Good Piano!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ringing sound G3
by Idotdot. 09/21/19 10:56 PM
Had Stroke - changing direction
by oneilt130. 09/21/19 08:58 PM
Progression suggestions
by Jake0254. 09/21/19 07:24 PM
Native Instruments NOIRE demo & short review
by Keunyoung Song. 09/21/19 05:38 PM
Need Help Determining The Damage Done To A Clavinova CLP-220
by Thedominationer. 09/21/19 04:46 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,151
Posts2,871,882
Members94,474
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission