2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
B
I wonder,on this board, for those who can't afford either, Fazioli seems to get the majority vote. For those who can afford it and bought one,on this board, Bosie owners certainly out number Fazioli owners by quite a big margin.
I wish I get to have a dilemma like this one of these days smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The reason could be that Bösendorfer is better for home use.

Bösendofer tone: warm and sweet.

Fazioli tone: cool and laser sharp.

Quite the opposite.

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I would choose the one I liked better. But I have neither. Personally, I would rather have an inexpensive piano and an extensive music collection. So I do!

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianistical:
The reason could be that Bösendorfer is better for home use.
I haven't played a recent-model Bösendorfer of the size under discussion. But for home use I would not want to switch from my F212 to an F228. In a concert hall it would be another matter.

Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Despite everyone assuming the Italian beast is the dearer one, I have a feeling that the F228 is less expensive than a B225 in list price terms. Anyone have any firm data on that?
About 18 months ago, I was quoted much higher list prices for Bösendorfer than Fazioli. Almost 50% higher.

Best wishes,
Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
mjs Offline
In Germany, the list prices for the Bösendorfer 225 and the Fazioli 228 are roughly the same (give and take 1000 €) - both around 83 000 €.

Buy the instrument YOU like best, the one YOU think suits the music YOU play -- don't think I would want to listen to other people's advice at that stage anymore.
Or: wait until Steingräber bring out the 232 cm instrument (in about a year, I think) ...

Just my 2 cents.

Markus

Steingraeber D-232 # 45 777
Neupert Telemann harpsichord
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Matthew:
But for home use I would not want to switch from my F212 to an F228. In a concert hall it would be another matter.

I quite often get to play (and hear others performing, both jazz and classical) on a fairly new F212 that is in a smallish (~150 seater) recital room at the Conservatoire Populaire de Genève. It is an extremely fine instrument for both solo performing and accompanying. When playing for my son's exams or recitals, it is more than capable of the very fine dynamic distinctions and clarity needed to accompany a double-bass, (most recently Fauré's Sicilienne, for example.)

For home use (where I have a very live environment, stone-tiled floors, rough-plastered walls, bamboo venetian blinds on windows and very few soft furnishings) I went with the perhaps softer-toned 214CS, but I don't think that Fazioli and Bösendorfers are mutually exclusive in touch and tone preference terms, if you see what I mean.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Ciao to everyone from Milan, Italy. I'm a fan of Bosendorfer crispy, vibrant basses and mellow middle tones but if you are looking for a complete gorgeous grand piano don't esitate: Fazioli is absolutely astonishing.

Sam

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Postenebraslux:

You wrote:

PS. Numerian, a change from a B225 to F228 is hardly an 'upgrade,' merely a change to another very fine piano that is perhaps more suited to your personal style and taste. Once at this level of piano-building, they are no distinguishable quality or level differences, merely ones of different design approaches, and of course, the standard of preparation and maintenance is a major factor as well.

Some of the older Bosies had sluggish actions and could readily be upgraded to a Steinway, Fazioli, etc. I gather this has been corrected by Bosendorfer so that they now compete with all top tier pianos, though my bias is that the Faziolis on average have more responsive actions than other pianos.

The different design approaches do affect tonal quality. There is something about the Bosendorfer bass that is just gripping and which I miss. But the Fazioli bass has tremendous clarity in the most complex chords, and this is true across the keyboard.

Fazioli 228.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
In my experience, the Fazioli is a louder piano therby requiring the pianist to use more control for soft passages. Though it's not exactly a flaw. The Bosie is quite easy to control and will give you a strong clear ff with a litte effort. This really is a coin toss.

Good luck!

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
Originally posted by fathertopianist:
I would buy the Bosie because I could buy it from Rich and Curry would take care of it. smile
Which is exactly what I did. thumb

I have played a Fazioli one time in my life. It sounded great, played well, but as I recall, it didn't have the same charisma as other fine pianos. It could have been the location, prep, tuning, voicing and all the piano specific factors that were unique for this one instrument. For lack of better words, it sounded "antiseptic" to me - clean, clinical, very precise, but lacked a warmth. The audio fanatics reading this might appreciate these terms when one describes the sound of a solid state amplifier vs. tubes.

Over the years I have visited numerous piano dealers and experimented with various pianos in many different locations. I've heard disappointing Steinways and magnificent Yamahas.

It's very hard to make a conclusion based on one brief experience or trial with a piano. If you are really in the position to fully appreciate the subtle nuances between two great pianos, then the decision is to be honest with yourself and choose the one that calls to you.

Good luck

Bösendorfer 225
Yamaha CVP 307
--------------
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I own a Bosendorfer, but played Fazioli and quickly dismissed it. IMO, they are completely different pianos. The Fazioli is a loud, almost brash, sounding instrument. There's nothing delicate about the sound. The Bosendorfer is the exact opposite.

Action wise I'd say the two are very similar, but the Bosendorfer has a very definite edge in my opinion. It provides much more feedback and is easier to control. But I also think this has to do with playing style. I like pianos that require effort to get them to play fff. Others like pianos that are normally loud and require a deliberate act of playing lightly to get ppp out of the piano.

Although I wouldn't take resale value into consideration - if you have enough to afford either one, then presumably large depreciation isn't going to kill you - still, Bosendorfer has a name larger than life when compared to Fazioli (except in VERY small circles). Of course Steinway/Yamaha have names larger than life compared to Bosendorfer.

Obviously my vote is for Bosendorfer by a mile. The only piano that came close in my search was a Hamburgh Steinway.

That said, buy the one you like. You can't go wrong with either one.

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Numerian,

The different design approaches do affect tonal quality.

If you mean, quality in the sense of "characteristics" rather than "superior" I would agree smile . As I said before, talking about these kind of pianos is not really a question of which is 'better,' rather what one's personal preferences are; once at this level of instrument to say that one brand has a 'better quality' tone in any particular range is not really applicable. Different yes, but very rarely better or worse...

Regarding actions, one person's playing style may make a Bösendorfer action appear to perform less well, and the Fazioli suits him/her better; another pianist may well find the opposite. And this is with both at factory specs, before getting into any slight changes in aftertouch, etc.

I am not aware of any recent corrections made by Bösendorfer to their actions or design so as to make them less 'sluggish.' I played a B225 from the early 1980's in German-speaking Switzerland a few weeks ago, and the action was comparable to a new one, or indeed any well-maintained Fazioli, Hamburg Steinway, etc., in terms of rapidity of response, controllability and consistency.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I heard this comment about the 1980 instruments in the showroom in Vienna. I thought I saw a similar comment in print once but can't remember where. You are right that action characteristics are another one of those subjective elements of a piano. My teacher loved the Bosendorfer action, which I did not find very responsive. He thinks the Fazioli "plays itself" and I'm not sure if that is a compliment.

Fazioli 228.
W
W
Ditto Dram's post - been searching for my own grand piano replacement - have not been impressed with Bosendorfer despite their reputation. Fazioli, on the other hand is excellent (have only played two).

But best advice is ignore everything you read on this forum (except this post, of course) and buy whichever one your heart (and fingers and ears) is telling you to buy.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Both pianos are suited well to the types of music you favor in your profile ( modern, impressionistic, jazz ).
With that being said, both pianos are at such different ends of the spectrum in terms of tone and tonal responsiveness, I think you can make a mistake here if you are not really thorough.
If you play at a high level, spend a lot of time on each piano over the course of a couple days. It should become more and more clear which you prefer. If you don't play at a high level, and you are concerned about making a mistake here, hire someone who plays repertoire you are interested in at a high level, to help you choose.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Buy both. Play them both for a year, then ship the least favorite to me! laugh yippie

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
R
rkw Offline
R
One more vote for the Fazioli.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ahh... I'm so glad to see so many votes for Fazioli, it seems many of you agree with me.

Seriously, gpiu, you can't go wrong with the bigger double caster wheels and the 18k gold-plated brass pieces that maintain the bright color longer -- you can literally hear the bright color!

gpiu,

I see that in your profile you count yourself as a Fazioli owner. Does this mean you've made a decision?

Or does it mean something else altogether?

Former Piano Salesman
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
In NYC Fazioli is insanely expensive while Bosie is just crazy expensive. I take it money is no object. I would just get a Model D, oh wait, thats what I did~!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission