2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Larry, I'm sure you've been off to fry bigger fish, but when you get a chance please tell me what dimensions you need.
Thanks,John

J
J
Hi Larry,
please detail the dimensions here as it's of great interest to me.
I check your website from time to time - I'm looking forward to seeing the final pictures of that Steinway case restoration - wow!
You guys are true craftsmen.
J

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As I think about it it is lengthy to write.

I will come up with diagrams.

John and James, check your email

Larry

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
A
A
Hi everybody

I'm a piano tech student assigned to special duty. Our wonderful teacher brought back from NAMM for us an appetizing WNG sampler to play with. and we're sticking them in a Yamaha C3 when the real order comes in. Wippens, shanks and capstans.

I'm glad this thread has been started so that I may check in on the experienced among us.

So far we've had the trouble of figuring things out for ourselves....such as having to saw about 5 mm off of the aluminium rail to accomodate WNG's wippen design. But it looks like it's going to work great. In fact, it's starting to appear as though the reccomended "yamaha" parts from WNG will be better suited than the original.

We've actually been told we're to buy a special glue that will be shipped over with our order. We tried different glues but weren't satisfied. I see titebond works well? If that's true maybe we can save some money from this fancy glue.

Heating tongs! were applied around, but not touching, the shank. Nothing seemed to happen until it suddenly flopped right over, nearly bent in half and then popped right back up. It left some unattractive marks where it bent but otherwise good as new (except it hadn't done what we wanted it to).

We still don't have the parts. But i'm excited to get them and run into some juicy problems (being new to pianos both us and the WNG parts)

A
A
Originally posted by John Pels:
The WNG representative that I spoke with stated that they are being evaluated in various university settings. Is this something that any of you have had familiarity with? Any idea which universities?
John Pels, I suppose one of the university settings would be the University of Western Ontario with my shop partner and I under the watchful eye of our teachers (boss and coach). great place.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A non-technician player weighing in.

I happened to see this topic highlighted and was also curious about the ad over to the right so thought I'd pop in here to read the thread.

I had heard about the new action at the MH tour last spring and was apprehensive. I feel comfortable with the old tried in true, in general.

After the tour PW members got a chance to play several prepped pianos in the hall upstairs. As I was busy socializing with others, I missed hearing which piano had the new action. So when a friend who is interested in purchasing beckoned me over to try out 'this' piano, and give her my opinion, I played it.

It sounded nice (to be expected). And, it felt good too, but ever so slightly different! I couldn't pinpoint as to why, as it was easy and comfortably controllable at the same time.

Yup, it was the new action!

I was impressed.

As were others who played it that day.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
As a part-time university tech, I received an invitation a couple of months ago to try the parts. So far it hasn't worked out to do so. I assumed that the invitation was sent to all university technicians. I'll be trying them soon, one way or another.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
M
M
I have read all that I could find on the Wessell, Nickel & Gross composite action, even 4 patent applications. From all that study, it looks like the action is very nice and and theoretically superior.

I would like to know what the recent experience is with these action parts. I see above in this thread that there were many pianos being rebuilt using these parts. I was wondering if anyone could report on how any of those rebuilds turned out and if there were any issues.

Note: I also posted a similar request in the following thread: "Piano Forum » Carbon Fiber Actions in M&H?" I apologize if this is a duplicate post for anyone.

Thanks

O
O
Any additional observations or experience anyone would like to report on the WNG composite action? I'm really interested in these parts for an action overhaul on an 80+ year old small grand, and would like to match the WNG whippens, flanges, and shanks to some new Abel natural (medium pressing, unless there's a softer one) or Ronsen/Wurzen felt hammers.

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by John Pels
Has anyone noticed the new advertisement on PW for Wessel Nickel and Gross composite action parts. Does anyone have any familiarity with them? What sort of adhesive is used when hanging hammers on the composite shanks? There is evidently no pricing as yet, only a phone number.

I have used several sets and won't go back. A couple of university techs in our PTG chapter feel the same way.

As they explain on their website, wood was never regarded as the ideal material for actions -- just the best available for the price. Steinway engineers recognized the desirability of solid bushings but just weren't able to pull it off -- partly due to their own arrogance but also due to the fact that materials technology hadn't quite caught up to the design principles.

I like the WN&G carbon shanks-- they seem to provide less loss due to flex and correspondingly greater energy at the hammer strike. The solid bushing work reliably through humidity changes.

I also give high marks to WN&Gs cooperative and open attitude. As with any new product, there have been minor glitches or opportunities to improve discovered along the way. They have been quick to address issues and ideas.

Reports also seem to indicate that because of the elimination of the subtle movements of wooden parts that happen due to humidity fluctuation that actions in university settings are staying in regulation longer. I personally don't have enough intense usage like that to make any conclusion.

On a side note, an additional benefit of the hardened aluminum capstans now available from WN&G is almost no capstan contact felt wear after 20 years of usage by David Stanwood,RPT who first introduced them.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kpembrook
I like the WN&G carbon shanks-- they seem to provide less loss due to flex and correspondingly greater energy at the hammer strike. The solid bushing work reliably through humidity changes.

To add my observations about their reliability: WN&G made a two-note action model for my string testing device. This action model has been packed and shipped, bumped and abused and generally treated in ways no proper piano action should have to endure. It keeps right on working flawlessly; its regulation is stable and the composite shanks and plastic bushings have put up with side knocks that would have destroyed conventional wood/felt parts.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission