2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Bartok Piano Concerto No. 2 has to be the greatest piano concerto ever written.

Usually I will listen to it a lot, but then start to listen to other stuff and realize that other stuff is really good, too.

And I forget how great the Bartok is.

Then, every single time I listen to it again after such a hiatus, it immediately strikes as the greatest piece of music I've ever heard. Every time.

Amazing! Man, the middle of that 2nd movement is WILD...

Sam
R
R
Actually I was looking for this piece recently, I have never heard it. Can you recommend a good recording of it?

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I have 2 - Cziffra and Richter. Cziffra's playing is much more interesting IMO (if you can listen through the poor sound quality - well worth it).

I'm with you Sam, it really is incredible - Bartok had such an amazing use of colour in his harmonies. It's also one of the few concertos where I feel it is perfectly balanced in terms of the length and material in each movement.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Although probably not authoritative (like that really matters), I would recommend Cziffra's recording of this concerto, for something that is virtually incomparable in its endless fire, struggle, and humanity, not to mention technical perfection from a pianistic point of view. It is a live recording made very shortly before the Hungarian Revolution in 1956, and I have read accounts of the concert (including one from Cziffra's own memoirs) that relate the patriotic fervor that permeated Budapest and the concert hall itself, which was overcrowded with people, who filled the aisles or listened from the lobby. Days later, Cziffra would escape Budapest and begin the international career he had been fighting for for the last decade and a half.

So, the recording is filled with intensity and passion that would possibly be impossible to replicate, given the unique circumstances surrounding the recording. It may *not* be authoritative in the fact that it lacks a certain gloss and polish you would find in some of the other great recordings out there, but it is possibly the most human recording available (and no, I can not speak for all other recordings, because I have not heard all of them, so other opinions on the matter are welcome).

And by the way, this concerto is easily one of my favorites as well. It speaks volumes to me, and not just because of Cziffra's (and the other Hungarians') story.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rach.3Freak105:
Actually I was looking for this piece recently, I have never heard it. Can you recommend a good recording of it?
Andsnes/Boulez. On the same disc Zimmerman plays #1 and Grimaud plays #3, but #2 is by far the best. smile

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ive never heard it. I'm waiting for an oppertune moment to introduce myself to it, lol. A whole concerto takes my full undivided attention to appreciate, especially for the first time. At the moment my favourite is the Prokofiev 2nd.

R
R
Does anyone know where I can find Cziffra's recording? I checked online and couldnt find it.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bruce-san:
Ive never heard it. I'm waiting for an oppertune moment to introduce myself to it, lol. A whole concerto takes my full undivided attention to appreciate, especially for the first time. At the moment my favourite is the Prokofiev 2nd.
I think that the Bartok sounds like the influence of drugs.

Daniel

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bartok Piano Concerto No. 2 has to be the greatest piano concerto ever written.

Sam,
I'll be seing Lang Lang perform this piece in Carnegie Hall on March 3, 2007 along with the Dance Suite and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta - with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - Barenboim conducting. An entire program of Bartok. I'm really looking forward to this one!

Best regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission