2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
When I start a new piece, one of the first things I do is check to see if the measures are numbered. If they aren't, I go through and count and write in the number for the first measure of each line. I do this even if the score includes rehearsal indications (i.e. sections A, B etc.) Then I use those numbers to make notes for myself about what to practice, and also to analyze the piece, to find repeating themes that I might have missed and so on.

I was surprised to read the HR2 thread , where the poster mentions not counting the measures because "there are too many." It occurred to me that maybe none of the pieces I play are all that long (the longest currently is nine pages.) But then it also occurred to me that, with a longer piece, knowing the measure numbers would be that much more important.

What does everyone else do? Do you write in the measure numbers? Why or why not?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The only time I write in measure numbers - Henle almost always does in their scores - is when I want to communicate in writing with someone else about a particular question. One need not necessarily give the number of the measure, in this particular case, but one could say, for example, three measures after the change to Db major, or ten measures into the third movement.

Otherwise, I don't really see the need to write in measure numbers throughout the whole composition, as useful as I find Henle's doing so.

What I often do, however, is break down a movement into logical sections and I will name those sections "A" through ..., so that I can plan on one day to work particularly on section "D", another day on section "C", and so on. When I do this, I also make a habit of lettering the sections from the end to the beginning. There's some sort of perverse logic in doing this that encourages me to not always continue working on a piece from the beginning measures and not giving enough attention to the concluding measures. It also helps those who use this method out of the trap of having to say: "Well, I've learned the first three pages, but I haven't started working on the last two, yet."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
If I am going to be discussing the piece with someone I always mark the measures. How else would we know if we are both looking at the same measure???

Other times, I follow Bruce's method, marking the various sections, noting repeats, whether or not they have variations in them from when they first appeared, etc.. Like Bruce, I find that by breaking it into sections, I avoid the "start- at- the- beginning" syndrome, which used to result in my being able to play it fairly well at the beginning, but deteriorating bit by bit, as I got further along in the compostion.

Gaby Tu

I always mark out the measures when working on duets. Every 5 full bars gets a number. Yes, there can be a lot of measures to count (570 on a single Schubert movement I worked on a few years back) but it sure saves a lot of confusion.

I definitely mark the measures for analysis - and it's a prerequisite at some music festivals.

Thankfully, most good quality editions include measure marking.

Cheers/IS

a lifetime of joy? - play Beethoven
O
O
Hi Shiro,

When I am playing a piece for my teacher that I have memorized, he requires me to write in the measure numbers. He uses it for reference when I am playing the piece and writes in my notebook by the measure number what things to work on (or mistakes or suggestions or whatever). I agree with Ivory Speaks that this is essential to do with duet scores as well.

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I write on mine all the time. It is nice to wake up and know that exact spot you are having trouble on.

yeah, noting the sections is really useful. Matt is right, when u wake up the next morning you know which section you are having trouble on.

Currently working on:
1)Schubert Impromptu Op.90-2 and 3
2)Hungarian Rhapsody No.12
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
4)Libestraum No.3 and Un sospiro by Liszt
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

"Without Music, Life is A Journey Through a desert" -- Pat Conroy
haha well for me personally, if I am stuggling on a section or passage, I dont near easily forget much of anything about it. I also don't see much benefit of writing in measure numbers unless I am doing anything collaborative (chamber, accompanying, etc.) the reasons and benefits for doing it in those situations are obvious, but I don't personally see much use for it otherwise.

...when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace...
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, indeed. EVERYTHING I play on The Job has to square...

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I do the same as Bruce. Most of my music already has the measure numbers, but the sections are definitely helpful.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nope. I write all kinds of stuff in, but not measure numbers.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
I do not write in measure numbers on pieces I play for my own enjoyment.

We DO write in measure numbers for everything my son plays at competitions and festivals because it is required. As Bruce mentioned, measure numbers ease communication with someone else about a piece.

B
B
Only a little confused: Do you mean bar, when you say measure... - and do you mean bar line, when you say bar? Or what?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
buxtehude:

bar (Brit.) = measure (Amer.)

That said, the American usage of 'measure' is sometimes encountered in Britain as well. I've never thought what Leftponders would call a bar line: 'measure-line' sounds distinctly odd, even for them wink . Just for more confusion, they probably call them 'bars'...

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
B
B
Thanks P. (Leftponders! smile )

(Leftponders! smile )
Yes, we approach our music more ....mathematically over here. laugh

Cheers,

DF

P.S. I think a bar line is a bar line.

B
B
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
(Leftponders! smile )
Yes, we approach our music more ....mathematically over here.
NOW your joke dawned at me!!! (After 4 hours of constant pondering! laugh )

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission