2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#602372 12/08/07 03:55 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Janus, we have a lot in common, including wishing we could play two instruments simultaneously! laugh

Bach:
Just about anything he wrote...

Mozart:
I love the Sonata for two pianos in D major, as well as the C minor Fugue

Beethoven:
I'm fond of his Horn sonata, and have actually played both parts (though not simultaneously laugh )

Schumann:
I'm very fond of the "Adagio & Allegro" for Horn & Piano (played both parts to this too)

Brahms:
Quintet in F minor
All the violin sonatas!

Schubert:
"Trockne Blumen" Variations - I've played the flute part

Prokofiev:
Flute Sonata

Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata - never played it, but have the music & like it a lot

Franck: Violin Sonata (one of my FAVORITE pieces!)

I'm also extremely fond of the Debussy Violin Sonata, and the piano duet "En blanc et noir"

#602373 12/08/07 09:05 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Of the chamber music I've actually had a chance to play with others, I think the Brahms g minor quartet is my favorite. There's a gargantuan list of things I have not played, though. Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).

wr

#602374 12/09/07 02:10 AM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Beethoven
- Piano Concerto no.5 in E flat major
- Symphony's
- Violin Concertos

Mozart
- Sonata in D major for 4 hands, 2 pianos
- Piano Concerto in A major K488
- Piano Concerto in D major no.26
- Oboe Concerto in C major

Brahms
- Piano Concerto in B flat major
- Symphony's

Chopin
- Piano Concerto in e minor no.1

Prokofiev
- Piano Concerto no.1

R.Schumann
- Piano Concerto in a minor op.54

Mendelssohn
- Piano Concerto in g minor no.1

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#602375 12/09/07 02:35 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Chamber music seems to bring about the best in composers.
I suspect it is because it is more likely to be played (live) than orchestral pieces, and, as one of my friends says, because the reason we practice solo music is so that we can play well enough to play with other people.

Semipro Tech
#602376 12/09/07 02:38 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Beethoven cello sonatas op. 69 and op. 102 #1
Beethoven piano trio op. 97
Schubert piano trio in B flat D898

#602377 12/10/07 12:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Janus, we have a lot in common, including wishing we could play two instruments simultaneously! laugh
Let me get this straight, aside from piano and organ, you also play flute and horn (and quite well judging from the pieces you mentioned)? That's quite something! I used to play recorder (soprano and tenor) and violin and cello passably, but nowadays I restrict myself to piano and flute (and I haven't practiced the flute in a long time, though once I was able to play the Mozart G major concerto, amongst other things).

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
#602378 12/10/07 12:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wr:
Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).
I have a great fondness for Faure too! And I didn't know Alkan had a cello sonata, I must check that out. Do you mean the Hindemith duet (i.e. hour hands at one piano) sonata? Yup, that's a great piece, and so is the two-piano sonata. Don't know the Persichetti, but if you don't know it already you must check out the Stravinsky Concerto for two pianos (no orchestra), one of my favorite Stravinsky works.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
#602379 12/10/07 02:28 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
Let me get this straight, aside from piano and organ, you also play flute and horn (and quite well judging from the pieces you mentioned)? That's quite something!
I used to whome play horn and flute. Also violin. When I was a teenager I thought it was fun to learn instruments, although piano was always my #1 instrument. I got quite involved with French Horn and thought I might do a double major.

These days I'm only on keyboards, though I still have all of my instruments.

After playing so many instruments, I think it was sort of a natural thing for me to play the organ.

Back on topic smile I forgot to mention that I love piano duets: especially Poulenc, Brahms, Dvořák.

#602380 12/11/07 03:25 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
Originally posted by wr:
[b]Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).
I have a great fondness for Faure too! And I didn't know Alkan had a cello sonata, I must check that out. Do you mean the Hindemith duet (i.e. hour hands at one piano) sonata? Yup, that's a great piece, and so is the two-piano sonata. Don't know the Persichetti, but if you don't know it already you must check out the Stravinsky Concerto for two pianos (no orchestra), one of my favorite Stravinsky works. [/b]
Speaking of four-hands stuff, Alkan took the wildly exciting last movement of the cello sonata, a saltarelle that he whips into quite a frenzy, and arranged it for (one) piano, four-hands. I wonder if he liked that music in particular, because it's the only thing of his that he recycled into another form, that I know of. I've never heard the four-hand version; in the right hands, I imagine it could be spectacular. Sadly, I suspect most piano duos don't even know it exists.

Yes, I meant the Hindemith four-hands at one piano sonata. And yes, the Stravinsky is wonderful. I wish I could recommend a recording of the Persichetti that is in print, but all have some problems. Probably the best is the one on Cedille by the Mangos sisters, but they do a really weird tempo shift in the coda that apparently is based on a misreading of the score, and it sort of undermined the whole performance. But the CD has some other duo stuff that's interesting, including a two-piano sonata by Persichetti, so it's a worthwhile purchase for people into the genre. There was a great LP of the composer and his wife playing it on Columbia; if you still listen to LPs, you can probably find a copy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission