2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Perhaps, but making cryptic remarks does not aid anyones perception.

Incidentally I do not have a problem with anyone seeking the removal of Pianomadam. I just happen to disagree with the frequently repeated statement that it is all bad. bad for the business, Piano World and so on. In reality it is a pimple on the moon.

Some posters like to assume that PW is a beacon of truthful virtue in the piano world. And so misbehavior results in indignation. Oh my goodness, how awful! Everyone who has been here a while knows that PW suffers from the same issues as all internet forums: nonsense mixed with good advice, bias, puppetry, entertainment, dealers promoting stuff, misinformation and bashing, and so on.

So lets accept reality and move on to the next drama.

I expect Pianomadwoman already has another ID in any case.

A

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My, my, my, how this thread has grown since I last passed through the gates of Mordor into the dark realm! The Inquisitioners have donned their black robes and oiled up their interrogation wheels. The forum must be pure! There are rules, and there must be consequences! And there are principles involved that require erudite analysis and discussion. Studies must be conducted and councils convened. This is, after all, a matter of such crushing importance that work, family, and mere playing of pianos must go on hold until we write 20 or 30 postings each that analyze it from every conceivable angle.

Thanks to those who found my earlier bit of whimsy amusing, but I just don't have the stamina for this place. I'm going back to the ABF!

(Don't flame me. I kid 'cuz I luv)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
last two posts are my favs. BlueKeys, I laughed out loud at your first, very well done.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by AJB:
Perhaps, but making cryptic remarks does not aid anyones perception.

some people can understand them laugh

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, this is what happens when you live in a different time zone - and go abroad for a day. I can't believe that an eight page thread suddenly appeared.
AJB,

This is how you trumpeted your arrival in this thread. Though it is true that we live in different time zones, the elapsed time between a member's posts is accurate and consistent if both posts are measured according to the same time zone.

At the time of your last forum post before your dramatic entrance here, this thread had already accumulated 5 of those 8 pages that you refer to and 115 posts had been made. The thread did not initiate or develop during your absence. Those preciou$ page views that you allude to as being the only interest of management here were already topping the charts. laugh

I realize that travel from country to country in Europe is quite facile and that you cherish your image as the boy-wonder James bond of Fleet Street by way of the World Bank in NYC. I am also aware that at other times you have entered threads saying something to the effect of 'lookee here what all has happened in my absence'. laugh Hey, as you have noted, entertainment value is not to be sneezed at. laugh

Apple has recently stated that there is much of value here beyond commercial enterprise. I support that view wholeheartedly. There are many who come here to navigate a purchase in a tricky product arena who receive invaluable help. I have personally received follow-up thank you letters from members who I had no specific recollection of helping. I have actually visited a couple of those members to meet them and see their pianos. I'm not boasting here. I'm just giving an example of the help which this place can and does afford people. There are others here who provide practical and valuable guidance superior to mine.

At this point you have apparently decided to toss everything out with the bathwater..equating this website to tabloid journalism such as it is practiced in your country and mine. You have also stated that EVERYONE enjoys the drama of a witch hunt and that entertainment quite naturally takes precedence over information.

You are certainly entitled to that view since apparently you are satisfied to come here as a diversion and seek nothing further. However, I think this forum is different things to different people and that there is genuine sadness on the part of many (including me) to see it floundering in such an unfortunate situation.

So while I would not dispute at all your view that it is what it is as viewed from one's own perspective, I would remind you that the vantage point of superiority upon which you place yourself is not shared by all that many others.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T-

do you EVER run out of words?

wink

I can't even plough through the last one...expecting the same things you have said previously...

but please...don't let 'me' stop you!!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think trying to divine Frank's thinking on this is both pointless and a wee bit insulting. He's been here longer than anyone and, agree with him or not, he's the host.

I've never known him to be keen on dishonest activity on this board. He just doesn't jump at every shadow. Let the man enjoy NAMM in peace. This can wait.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Turandot/William - you are basically a ranter. I find it hilarious how easily you bite. Verbose and frequently drifting away from the point into your diatribes. You reckon I missed the first 5 pages. You may well be right! Who cares - certainly not me. Do you not grasp irony? I dip into Piano World usually when I am not busy with something else. Given that the most important part of my family lives in a different country to me, I am often sat around at airports. Europe is a bit different to your neck of the woods.

And you are right, I can easily be mistaken for Bond. Unfortunately it is Brook Bond (of the PG tIps variety).

Get over yourself. You and I rarely share the same perspective. It is not personal. It just adds to the richness of the dialogue.

Now, if you have got something useful to say that is on topic, go at it old chap! We are close to dinner time shut down for PW in the UK, so your amazingly witty response will have to wait until the morning for me.

Kind regards

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At the end of the day this is Frank's site and he is free to do as he pleases. It's up to him to sort out all the free advice he has been given by those who have free access. PW is free in many senses of the word. Being free has pros and cons--features and functions are missing, desired reaction times are not met, sock puppets have some ability to roam freely in his absence.

I tend to agree with P*D and others that known malicious sock puppets and their owners should be banned- it's a risk they can take with known consequences if they get caught.

PW is also part entertainment, part community, part unselfish advice. It should operate based on the priniciple of good will by everyone (as Apple states)although with all the egos involved of course it will get unruly from time to time. Ben Franklin advocated moderation in everything including moderation. I agree with AJB, whom I have personally found to be very unselfish in assistance on a few matters, that this place is also entertainment- I believe he may have suggested to take the pixels too seriously may be bad for your health.

I have no doubt that PW will sort all this out. This thread reminds me of a famous quote "To retain respect for laws and sausages, one must not watch them in the making".

Ironically PM's two part invention would likely have fooled no one as her(?) comments are always subject to reality checks. Regardless the behavior I'm sure will be dealt with appropriately when Frank has a free moment.

First (and only) comment:

The NAMM show very likely is considered important in a business sense to Frank - otherwise (especially since PW seems to presently be the main source of personal revenue), he would not have paid the air fare, the hotel reservations, meal expense, and so forth; in order to attend.

From postings on another forum by people who are at NAMM - there is no direct Internet access at the NAMM show (at least not for the attendees). It is completely unknown if there is access in his lodgings. Trade shows are typically places where one not only gets to see new merchandise, but opportunities to meet and schmooze with potential suppliers AND clients. Most of the trade cannot justify the expense just to see the new toys - they are there to actively pursue business.

Frank could very well be busy after the public showings each day - getting potential advertisers, maybe lining up other opportunities in his line of work. The show is not infinitely long - far from it. The trip back to Florida is only a day.

Several posters seem to have taken personal offense that Frank has not yet taken action - GIVE HIM SOME SLACK!!!!!!!!!! This matter really does not rank right up with news like short supplies of heating gas in Europe, change of leadership in the US, even a plane falling into the Hudson river. Rhett Butler would really say, "frankly, my dear, I don't give a d**n."

I'm not really sure which is more pathetic - the original sham - or (presently) 14 pages largely filled with vitriol over the matter. Do what I'm going to do - get back to the keyboard (musical, not computer), and work on improving technique.

Jim

Jim Cason
Promised LAN Computing, Inc.
Howard C171 Grand, Kurzweil PC3X, PC3, PC361, PC2X, PC2.
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FYI everyone, I've had some talk with Frank through PM's and I am sure he will comment directly or through me as soon as he can.

Turandot, as far as the personal info goes, I can't remember if I gave PW personal info when I signed up or not. Maybe I did.. But I don't see anyone's personal info, maybe it's there and only Frank can see it.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
S
S
Originally posted by turandot:
Originally posted by Supply:
[b] I must say it surprises me very much to hear that a Loya Jirga has to be called in so that the Council of Grand Poohbas can discuss whether or not anything should be done when someone has been caught, and has admitted to, breaking the most basic rules here.

Is there no precedent, no MO? Nothing in place? No exit plan????
How long do you have to deliberate a drop kick?

Deliberation to me underscores that maybe, just maybe, there is a chance of breaking all the rules in the book and getting away with it.

Back to reason for a moment:
I think the least that should happen during the deliberations is a suspension of forum privileges of the party who pleaded guilty. This thread has seen too much attack and counter-attack already. Put an end to it, I say.
This is it in a nutshell. The admission of guilt was the time to put the muzzle on pianomadam until a decision could be reached. It would not have completely eliminated the bloodlust, but it would have controlled the frenzy. Keeping her under wraps would also have prevented her from making the worst possible strategic decision: to launch a counterattack.

The thought that this might be decided by a show of member vitriol has caused me to personally question if I want to post in the piano forum at all. The obvious virtue and exalted high moral standards of some of the membership seem completely out of whack with the everyday world in which I live. The possibility that there is no precedent to guide a swift decision and that options might include everything from getting out of jail free to outright expulsion is the reason I am so concerned with mob mentaility. If nothing firm and fixed applies, then overcooked emotions might fill the void.

If madam's violation means termination according to the rules, I see no problem with it. Nor does she. In this thread she is on the record saying that she would deserve it. What she does not deserve is to be left twisting in the wind to suffer further humiliation while the poohbahs find an option which will satisfy the masses. [/b]
Frank's opinion matters significantly. Frank is the only one who has the authority to ban someone.

FRANK IS AT NAMM!!!!!!

Let me repeat...FRANK IS AT NAMM.

His has MUCH more pressing matters to attend.

Perhaps just a litle patience....

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
[QUOTEoriginally posted by Lilylady
]I can't even plough through the last one...expecting the same things you have said previously...
[/QUOTE]

Change of pace caught you off guard huh?

Well, you know, I always read Adrian's posts very carefully, and interest in this thread has seemed to flag. Bearing in mind Adrian's opinion that entertainment value is key, I just figured that a new controversy would keep the ratings high until the poohbahs got a chance to see the overnight Neilsons. laugh

It was fun taking a run at Adrian, and he certainly would agree that it's for a good cause...to put fresh meat on the table. laugh He can get me back in the morning and serve me up as a roast duckling. Lord knows how long sideshows may be needed to keep people from changing the channel. Anyone you want to take a swipe at? Now's the time! laugh A Free-for-all would probably set a new high in page views.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steve is right. We're all guests here, and while there is nothing wrong with making suggestions, it's discourteous to him to start making them sound like demands.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
S
S
Originally posted by turandot:
[QUOTEoriginally posted by Lilylady
]I can't even plough through the last one...expecting the same things you have said previously...
Change of pace caught you off guard huh?

Well, you know, I always read Adrian's posts very carefully, and interest in this thread has seemed to flag. Bearing in mind Adrian's opinion that entertainment value is key, I just figured that a new controversy would keep the ratings high until the poohbahs got a chance to see the overnight Neilsons. laugh

It was fun taking a run at Adrian, and he certainly would agree that it's for a good cause...to put fresh meat on the table. laugh He can get me back in the morning and serve me up as a roast duckling. Lord knows how long sideshows may be needed to keep people from changing the channel. Anyone you want to take a swipe at? Now's the time! laugh A Free-for-all would probably set a new high in page views. [/QUOTE]Makes me want to buy stock in Piano World. wink

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
You didn't say whether you've bought a piano before, so ... in case you haven't ... let me add this:

Prices are negotiable. Don't ever expect to pay the dealer's asking price. Work the price.

(I'm guessing that recessionary times are the best for buying expensive items, like pianos. Sales are down and the buyer are well positioned to work a good deal.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
erm... L Horwinkle... you might consider reading past the first post to see what others have already said. You may reconsider your position wink

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
Originally posted by Jeff Bauer:
erm... L Horwinkle... you might consider reading past the first post to see what others have already said. You may reconsider your position wink
laugh

We even had Ken change the title of the thread to help prevent this. Whaddya gotta do?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hmmmmmmmm...

Well, someone did mention the other day that there hadn't been a locked thread in a while.. laugh

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission