2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Can somebody explain to the technique of finger-tapping which Glenn Gould employed?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Finger-tapping or finger-taping?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Z
Z
Ah yes!! I know all about this "the art of finger tapping!"

Here is what a book about my lovely Glenn says about this subject:

Finger tapping is a lowly, obsessive and cultish excersise for acquiring absolute eveness and ease in tricky passage work.
It eliminates excess motion in the hand and ensures intimate tactile connection with the pattern in question. I will explain the practice in its simplest application. Take the notes D, E, F sharp , G and A, for which the right hand fingering is thumb, 2, 3, 4 5. The hand position is the natural one assumed when the arm and hand hang relaxed from the shoulder. Rest the fingers on those notes. The left hand then tapes the fingers successively to the bottom of the keys. The right fingers are boneless; they reflex from keybed and then return to original position. The motion should also be as fast as possible. The second stage is to play the notes with a quick staccato motion. This is a slow practice with each note being seperated by two seconds of silence.

from Glenn's greatest admirer
Zeldah

Glenn Gould in regards to music:

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
Z
Z
Ps.) I have a picture of Glenn doing this. If you would like to see just ask me, and I'll post it.

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
please post it, Zelda. i am having trouble picturing what gould described.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Z
Z
I'm not sure if this will help, but here is an image.
http://www.hanson.net/users/zeldah/GlennGould49.gif

And while I'm at it, I'll give another beautiful picture of Glenn. smile
http://www.hanson.net/users/zeldah/Image20.jpg

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
tap, tape, schmape... After seeing the picture it's become clearer that the method involves tapping the right fingers with the left. Tapping ... The left hand then taps the fingers ...

Although taping the fingers sounds a bit far fetched, I remember reading that Schuman once rigged his fingers up to the hammers with string. Unfortunately, it did some real damage to his hand.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Z
Z
Ha! Geniuses are awesomely psycho.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission