2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad wrote:" The individual needs a punishment as well as the firm they represent. "

P*D- I've agreed with much of what you have written so far but I think this smacks of the witch hunt. For one thing, we really don't know if pianomadam really does represent Steinway. I have always had my doubts about that. She/he has never provided any verifiable identity to support that, and has behaved in ways that would make that a very questionable claim. Even if she is a legit dealer, do we have any evidence that Steinway knows or approves of this type of behavior? I can't imagine Bob Snyder, for example, doing this. The idea of "punishing" Steinway (don't they get enough of that around here anyway? wink ) for pianomadam's sins (whoever she/he actually is) seems a bit over the top.

Sophia

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
wow. I know the economy, and the piano market for that matter, are on the ropes right now, but this trancends slow business and boredom, heading full steam towards guile.

However, it's been an entertaining read. eek

As the PianoWorld turns.."

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
OK, here it is: I screwed up royally! My apologies to all on this forum. I'm ashamed and appalled at the lengths I saw myself go to. I let the anonymity get the best of me. I hope I can gain your forgiveness now or sometime in the future. I do value this site and assume there will be months of scourging I will be going through for any post I put on this forum in the future, but those are the consequences I'm willing to take on.

My apologies to Steinway & Sons, those that represent the Steinway & Sons Family of Pianos, and all piano professionals for my example.

That's all for now...
Back to pm's appology post; Genuine? or a crock of doo doo?

Or does it even matter?

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally posted by Beacon Chris:

By the way, if you feel the urge to develop a multiple personality disorder again, have a Gianni Schicchi moment, i.e. something funny. (that was for you, Turandot)
Hey, I'll take that, too.

laugh

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally posted by Beacon Chris:
Madam,

Disclosing your true identity and posting that way from now on would give you instant credibility here.

Try it - I think you would like it...

By the way, if you feel the urge to develop a multiple personality disorder again, have a Gianni Schicchi moment, i.e. something funny. (that was for you, Turandot)

Best to you,

BC cool
As for the rest of what Chris says, I agree wholeheartedly. Sunlight's the best disinfectant.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally posted by honkytonk:
Now this is the Pianoworld I remember wink

I remember when Pianomadam first posted as JordanKittsGuy

It didn't take long for Him (Her?) to realize that this was not a good way to remain anonymous and all of his posts were quickly deleted. Since then this person has posted using many different sockpuppets.

PS - Hi everyone, have you missed me?
Here we all come out of the woodwork. all we need now is FTP.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's inconsequential poppycock, this 'paid for postings' trade will continue, it has been since the days of Usenet (and which was one nail of many in Usenet's coffin)

What happens right here in PW is not too bad in comparison. It's just that minimum administrative measures ought to be part of site maintenance, that's all, IMHO.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I am sure the moderators are aware of this mess and they are taking their time to make the best decision. I have confidence that they will do the best they can for this forum's ongoing vitality. It may be that they have to tread carefully here because this may be a landmine field of legality.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sophial:
Piano*Dad wrote:" The individual needs a punishment as well as the firm they represent. "

P*D- I've agreed with much of what you have written so far but I think this smacks of the witch hunt. For one thing, we really don't know if pianomadam really does represent Steinway. I have always had my doubts about that. She/he has never provided any verifiable identity to support that, and has behaved in ways that would make that a very questionable claim. Even if she is a legit dealer, do we have any evidence that Steinway knows or approves of this type of behavior? I can't imagine Bob Snyder, for example, doing this. The idea of "punishing" Steinway (don't they get enough of that around here anyway? wink ) for pianomadam's sins (whoever she/he actually is) seems a bit over the top.

Sophia
My point was really about the individual punishment. This board has not really tried policing socks, even ones that have been de-socked publicly, so to speak.

The firm they represent gets punished by all the negative backwash generated by the sock/shill getting caught. That seems unavoidable and it is independent of whether or not that firm (or manufacturer) was aware of the activity. That's a consequence of preserving anonymity on the web.

BTW, your point about the possibility of truly Machiavellian reverse spin (as in PianoMadam was really trying to throw dirt on Steinway instead of praise) is well taken. Others have argued for this possibility as well. In this case I doubt that is true. PM's posting history here seems far more amateurish than Machiavellian. But this reverse-spin possibility is yet another unavoidable feature of allowing dealers to post anonymously.

I am certainly not arguing that the forum itself should try to punish Steinway, or any other firm, for the lame behavior of its employees. I do wish to see us crack down on the individuals who behave in this way.

Firms themselves do have an incentive to tell their employees how to behave in situations like this. If I were Steinway, and PM was indeed an employee that I discovered to have perpetrated this little episode, I would at the least have a woodshed moment with that employee.

No matter what we do or don't do there are consequences. We could request that dealers do more than give their affiliation. We could ask them to behave as Steve Cohen and many others. Post their actual affiliation, not just their brands. That would ensure that no Machiavellian reverse-dissing was likely. On the other hand, it would drive out all dealers who were unwilling to be as visible as Steve. I'm agnostic about how to 'make' dealers behave.

But I remain of the view that individuals should pay some price for clearly transgressing known ethical boundaries.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P*D
Agreed about appropriate consequences for individuals who violate the rules/boundaries. In rereading my post, I don't think I actually suggested the Machiavellian scenario that PM is a competing dealer seeking to make S&S look bad (not that I have not at times thought it). Perhaps the amateurish posting style was designed purposely to throw us off the scent-- even more Machiavellian! laugh Well, before we turn PM into the evil genius of PW and start gathering our pitchforks and torches to storm the castle, hopefully the moderators will have some information or a response forthcoming.

Sophia

W
W
I think what Pianomadam did has damaged the image of the so-called Steinway designed pianos, that is, Essex and Boston, as well as Steinway in this incident.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bluekeys:
Are you a little lost lamb who wandered over here from the ABF? Maybe you're thinking of buying a piano? Let this thread be a warning to you--like a bloody head on a stick sharpened at both ends. You've crossed into savage country now. This is where Satan's dearest spawn, piano salesmen, hang their chain saws and hockey masks when they're not butchering little lambs like you.

You see, piano salesmen aren't born and suckled by loving mothers as you and me are, in nurseries with teddy bear wallpaper and squishy-squeaky toys. No. They grow from airborne spores that land in dank corners and suck blood from unsuspecting creatures that happen upon them. Some of these spores become politicians, others become investment bankers, but those that land in the darkest, dankest, and vilest corners become piano salesmen. There they learn dark arts, like shape shifting and IP manipulation, that let them become whoever they want, all the better to entice then squeeze their prey.

Tomorrow we may learn Piano Madam actually sells Walters and Yamahas and fabricated this whole ruse to discredit Essex. We don't know. This is Piano Land! There's no truth, only an eternity of loose tuning pins and cracked sound boards if we listen to the wrong lies.

Sometimes I wish I'd taken up the ukulele. mad
:rotfl:

this post is a classic. laugh

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
actually, imo, these events are a very good education for piano shoppers. they reveal the character of the piano business, which has never been particularly high-minded, even when business was good.

trusting someone in the piano business just because they put a good face on themselves at PW is not wise, either.

there *are* legitimate, ethical, and trustworthy piano dealers out there, but i'd be hard-pressed to say they are in the majority. and it's all too easy to manage one's image in an online forum.

buyer beware, as always.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the moderators should check IP address on the most touted products on here. Walters included.

I'd be happy to help check IP addresses if allowed.
I know where I'd look first and I'd bet some posts would disappear before I got started.

I'll donate 10 hours of my time if the mods want.
Just give me permission and the knowledge how to do it and I'm in.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I wounder if it is as easy as clicking the orange IP "logged" title between our "registered" date and the "Report Post" on the bottom of our post pages.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
From the PW Code of Ethics for industry folks...

Code Of Ethics:
We do not condone members hiding behind a veil of anonymity so they can push there own agenda, promote their own business or products, or create negative posts about their competitors and/or competitive products.

Show some class, identify yourself and try to contribute positively to the forums.

If you consider yourself to be a professional, please act like one! If you just can't resist promoting yourself or your business, or you think bashing your competitors and/or their products is the way to do business, you will likely find yourself banned from the forums.

This is not a platform for people with personal agendas, it is a place where people with a genuine interest in the piano come for help, hints, ideas, information, and even to make new friends.

Stop the Self-Promotion!
It is NOT ACCEPTABLE for you to create posts thinly disguised as an innocent discussion when in fact they are nothing more than a promotion for your business.

Nor should you be directing your customers here for the sole purpose of touting how wonderful you are.
If you can get banned for self-promotion, it seems that what to do about proven deceitfulness is a no brainer.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:

I'm not big on socks, never have been. Some are ok if they're funny, but this is not a general chat type forum...people are spending hard-earned money on the things they read here.

Exactly! The apology must include repayment of any money lost.

Let's start a list.

Anyone who has lost any money based on Pianomadam's advice please post the amount so she can begin mailing the checks.

Once all the checks are in the mail we can begin the discussion of forgiveness.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I lost 25 Walter sales so that's around a buck fifty. laugh

Well, if I sold them at the prices I read here.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally posted by bluekeys:

Sometimes I wish I'd taken up the ukulele. mad
I dunno, bluekeys, the ukulele forum seems like it's a wild and crazy place, too; check out their two page thread on the sexuality of "ukers" (as they apparently are known). laugh

S
S
This was willfull, pre-meditated and manipulative. Add that to the posted rules here that specifically prohibit socks, particularly when it influences shoppers and it is clear.

Somebody out there likely knows who PianoMadam is. They should identify her/him to the mpderator who should contact and have them agree never to darken our door.

Also, I would begin to suspect everybody. Those who would sock here generally earn poor reputations and are often outed. I do think it is all that common here.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission