2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
BTW, Frank is at NAMM.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Mik is right, as is Steve. This is a no-brainer. A dealer's use of a sock to shill for their wares is, or should be, a banning event. This doesn't mean that Frank (or whoever makes the decision) must have every possible banning scenario worked out. I think some common sense would work just fine.

The fact that others in the past have used the same tactic seems like a poor defense for doing nothing now. In my view we should be more diligent in the future and reduce the incidence of this behavior.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Steve, somebody - Ken K., I suppose - should contact him.

S
S
There is a "Report" waiting for his retrieval.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
thumb

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[QUOTE]

p.s. I had no idea people were getting paid for posting. Man, that's 11,000+ opportunities for extra cash I've just squandered... laugh
laugh

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey Guys, smile

I just got home from work and sat down at the computer.

A few thoughts...

Socks do get actively looked into, all the time. IP addresses help some, but the really good socks know ways around that. There are a few I suspect are socks, just can't prove it.

For example, JordanKittsGuy didn't cover his tracks too well and it was not hard to out him.

A few months ago, I got a PM from a forum member advising me that two VERY respected forum members were one and the same person. I checked IP addresses and and found that both members posted from the same address. So I confronted one of the screen names. He had a fairly reasonable explanation, so I let it ride for a bit. About a week later I noticed another indication that we did indeed have a sock on our hands. So I jumped on him and I pulled no punches.

Again he had an explanation, although it was a bit of a stretch. Was he telling the truth? I really don't know. But the end result was that he got upset and never came back. I will not identify either of these people. If I was wrong I would be publicly shaming him, not to mention the other member who is still here. I feel terrible about it because I'll never know for sure and I would never intentionally cause someone grief or harm.

The best course of action when you suspect a sock is to let me and/or Frank know and we WILL look into it. Just beware we might not find any evidence of sock puppetry. And then any action taken would depend on how disruptive the member may be.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow!!! sorry to be a bit negative but that sure puts the Muppets at ease.

It would be better to say we're watching you and you will be banned for puppettering without a licence.

[Linked Image]

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
It takes guts to write what you did even if we don't know who you are.

From what I understand,
what you have done has been done by others.

Perhaps an apology to Yamaha and Charles Walter would have also been in order.

[Linked Image]
--Fair enough, Rod. I will say, though, that the opinions I expressed are how I, Pianomadam, actually feel, and not an attempt to trash either product. I have sold Charles Walter in the distant past and am basing my impressions on such. I'm sorry for any way that I may have been perceived as trashing Charles Walter or Yamaha.

Originally posted by Furtwangler:
Madam

I must say I am quite surprised and very impressed with your apology. How about a fresh start?
I wish it were that easy! Thanks for the thoughts, though. If I have to face expulsion...so be it. I would deserve it.

Originally posted by Beacon Chris:
Madam,

Disclosing your true identity and posting that way from now on would give you instant credibility here.

Try it - I think you would like it...

By the way, if you feel the urge to develop a multiple personality disorder again, have a Gianni Schicchi moment, i.e. something funny. (that was for you, Turandot)

Best to you,

BC cool
---This topic has come up before and was resolved. You'll need to reference posts from a while back. Bottom line is that you need to state your affiliation in the industry but not your exact location. For me this is important as I have been asked not to reveal such by my employer.

Originally posted by schwammerl:
Madam,

A testimony of great courage.
Above all keep on posting while preserving your own opinions and personality.

schwammerl.
---Thank you, schwammerl. I will...if I am allowed to.

Originally posted by mdsdurango:
Likewise Madam,
I was surprised to see you post and impressed to see your apology.

Keep your head on your shoulders and above water and you will be fine. Remember; "There can be no friendship without confidence; and no confidence, without integrity".

Lost for a moment but not gone as evidenced by your actions.
I agree with Beacon Cris that more info of who you really are in your signiture line would be appropriate.

Mike
---Thank you, Mike. I'm open to suggestions by forum members as what else they would like to see in my signature line, without revealing my EXACT location.

quit while you're ahead

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Originally posted by POTUS:
[b]Now I see that we're forced to be extremely skeptical even on a forum of piano lovers. And when someone is caught red handed and belatedly admits the obvious, it's considered "a testimony of great courage"?

Maybe others have more time to sift through the it all and figure out what is truthful here, but I think it'd be more helpful to the rest of us if this sort of thing was policed by the moderators and the related parties banned.
I tend to side with POTUS on this one. Pardon me if I don't get caught up in the Pianomadam lovefest. She apologized only because she got caught. Who knows how often she's pulled this stunt in the past, and who knows how often she'll pull it again in the future. I agree with you, Mike, that we have no way of ensuring that she wouldn't just re-register under a new alias if she were banned... but I think that knowingly allowing her to continue posting is an even worse alternative.

Not having any kind of consequence for this kind of misbehavior sends the wrong message, imo.
Of course, this is just my opinion; ultimately it's Frank's and/or Ken's judgment call to make. [/b]
--Fair enough, Monica. I know that some may find this hard to believe but I am not L1037 and other post-ers that have come on here in the past few months talking about Essex as a viable piano choice. cklavier has been my ONLY "sock puppet".

Originally posted by Bear 1:
Pianomadam gets caught with her pants down and some folks want to kiss both cheeks. No Thanks ..
No apology from an anonymous avatar will do.
Wonder how many more avatars she uses?
She now shows her location as Southern United States instead of Northeast USA ...
Did she move her store? Full disclosure please.
---Yes, I have indeed moved down south.

G
G
Pianomadam : "I know that some may find this hard to believe but I am not L1037 and other post-ers that have come on here in the past few months talking about Essex as a viable piano choice. cklavier has been my ONLY "sock puppet".

Since you've been on for about 1.5 years, what about prior to the past few months ?

Enjoy life...this is not a dress rehearsal.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rod,

True. That's why I grit my teeth when statements are made that socks are "allowed" on here. I've spent hours and hours sometimes looking at IP addresses on suspected socks. Not just one or two, but their entire posting history looking for a slip up. It is VERY tedious and VERY OFTEN fruitless.

After a while, they make mistakes, like pianomadam did, and then we know.

We do all we can, within the constraints of our time and available resources.

Banning is sometimes the answer for sock puppets. Or outing them in public forum. I'll promise you this - if I know for sure someone is a sock I'll deal with it, no matter who they are.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I'm not joining the easy apology side either. Saying this is not the same thing as heckling. She has been shilling outrageously for Steinway and all of those fabulous and incredible Steinway-designed products for as long as she has been here. Anyone with a decent grasp of the search function can verify that. Now she has been caught using a sock to peddle and puff Essex. Geez.

OK she apologized. Fine. Embarrassment is a great motive for that. And getting caught in the act brooks no weaseling. It warrants no group hug. Whatever tiny bit of credibility she might have had should be shredded. The problem, of course, is that a shill can always return to influence people who have no history here, but who are looking to this group for help.

It's a constant problem, I know, and she is surely not the only dealer ever to behave in this fashion. That likely fact warrants no group hug either.
---Hello, PianoDad. I know emotions are running high and you may have, understandably, said something you really do not have clear evidence for. Here is my question to you (and others):
Do you have some examples of where I have trashed another piano or negatively influenced other post-ers looking for advice by trashing the competition? PLEASE, I really want to know. It shouldn't be tough, according to you. Provide evidence before you make such a damning comment. Then, you can say that my credibility has been shredded.

quit while you are ahead.

come back as another sock..

that is your only option. you've been sooooo sooooo sooo antithetical to what piano world is all about.

how can you say you are sorry after your 100s of self serving posts? you've trashed Steinway (a fine piano btw) and lost all credibility.

sorry.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission