2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Chouca, Candywoman, David B, Anglagard44, CyberGene, Animisha, Darkwasp, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 425 guests, and 366 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
classical radio stations #591491 05/09/08 02:29 PM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Here in the metro Detroit area, I've found 4:

89.9 (broadcast from Windsor)
90.9 (broadcast from Lansing)

In case anyone from the area was looking... I was just listening to the Brahms 2nd Violin Sonata and the Vaughan-Williams 2-Piano Concerto on 90.9, and then the Elgar Cello Concerto on 91.3.

Sam
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: classical radio stations #591492 05/09/08 03:18 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
With those frequencies, are some of them NPR stations?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: classical radio stations #591493 05/09/08 06:50 PM
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was in school in Chicago I listened often to WFMT but there were others too that were classical stations. Here in southeast Georgia I listen to the public radio -- either Macon or Savannah. Sometimes I can pick up Jacksonville, FL. The other stations, as one can imagine play things I'm not really interested in listening. Otherwise I play CD's and recordings.

Re: classical radio stations #591494 05/09/08 07:04 PM
Kreisler Offline
In El Paso, there are two options:

KTEP (NPR) at FM 88.5 (UTEP's station)
KRWG (NPR) at FM 90.7 (NMSU's station)

KRWG is weak on the East side of El Paso, and there are some spots around the mountain where KTEP isn't as clear as I'd like, but both stations are good and, despite both being NPR affiliates, have enough differences in their schedules to keep a decent number of choices available.

One of my favorite channels ever was WRKF 89.3 in Baton Rouge. Brilliant programming and one of the funniest announcers I've ever heard was there about 12 years ago.

My favorite WRKF quote:

Announcer: "Now here's something interesting - a choral arrangement of the Barber Adagio for Strings. Let's see how it sounds."

(The first 30 seconds of the piece, not very well sung.)

Announcer: "Um...thanks. Er. We'll call you. The next work on today's program..."

My next favorite is KOHM in Lubbock, TX. The program director is a friend of mine, and he does a BRILLIANT job bringing classical music to West Texas. Most of the schedule is classical music - a combination of syndicated shows and various locally produced shows. The program director actually spends 4 hours every Friday playing nothing but classical new releases, and the labels and catalogue numbers are posted online so you can buy anything you like. Such a cool idea!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: classical radio stations #591495 05/09/08 07:35 PM
V
virtuoso_18 Offline
V
In Syria we have..... none. Interesting, eh?

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
Re: classical radio stations #591496 05/09/08 07:40 PM
abe Offline
In the Los Angeles area you have FM 91.5, which I have long enjoyed for the wide variety of music played, the often interesting evening programs hosted by Jim Svedja, and - happily - no commercials ever. Just a note of caution: if you tune in right now, you'll be listening to one of the couple annual "pledge drives" seeking to get you to contribute. So you won't get your normal music for the next few days.

Give you a prize if you can figure out why I chose my avatar.
Re: classical radio stations #591497 05/09/08 08:48 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Plenty of stuff on BBC3, yet with my ties to Seattle, KING-FM is a jolly good station. And you can listen to the Seattle Opera broadcasts. I Puritani is the latest. And we'll get Aida and Elektra later this year. Such riches!

Met broadcasts are always fun. Was it last week that we were treated to Mozart's Abduction?

Jason
Re: classical radio stations #591498 05/09/08 09:11 PM
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used to be able to listen to XM Satellite radio on my PC when I subscribed to AOL.

There was sooo much classical to choose from, it was wonderful.

Can anyone recommend another satellite product (not AOL) for my PC? I'd like to have that again.

~Valerie

Re: classical radio stations #591499 05/09/08 09:29 PM
chopin952 Offline
Here in NC we listen to WCPE 89.7 FM. They also broadcast for free on the internet if you're at your computer all day like I am.

It's completely listener supported so I make a contribution every year. Great station, no commercials, no ads, just the rare mention of a special sponsor.

Check it out: WCPE The Classical Station

Re: classical radio stations #591500 05/09/08 09:59 PM
Y
yhc Offline
Y
wqxr.com(New York, 96.3 FM)

Every Wednesday night at 10:00-11:00pm, Mr. David Dubal will host a Piano Comparison Listening. You may not agree with Mr. Dubal at times, but the brilliant playings are every bit worth while.

Re: classical radio stations #591501 05/09/08 10:41 PM
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The California central coast has no non-commercial classical station, though there are good programs on the local public stations KAZU and KUSP. I listen via internet to KBPS 89.9 from Portland, Oregon. There you can hear the Met opera broadcasts, some other syndicated programs, and a good variety of music on the station's own programs. It's mostly listener-supported.

Re: classical radio stations #591502 05/09/08 11:01 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
We have the good fortune to have access to four classical music stations from Victoria: one NPR station from Washington State University, (the other Washington state NPR is all-day talk) one commercial station from Seattle, CBC Radio 2 and CBC French language radio network station.

CBC Radio 2 has raised the alarm bells with all of us effete snobs by announcing that they are about to considerably diminish the amount of classical music they will henceforth play on the Canadian airwaves. They will still keep the mandated 60% - or whatever the figure is - Canadian content, but more and more of it will be in the form of pop music that can be heard on any commercial radio station.

Those four classical music stations will be reduced to three, therefore, in the near future.

The most egregious error committed by the once-venerated CBC radio network is the planned demise of the CBC Radio Orchestra, the last remaining radio orchestra in North America, slated now to give its last concert in Vancouver in November, 2008.

The CBC Radio Orchestra’s mandate, as stated on its Web site, is to “to make engaging musical radio programs, commission and perform works by Canadian composers, showcase Canadian performers and conductors, and discover and expose Canadian excellence”.

"The dismantling of the orchestra, formed in 1938, is the latest in a string of decisions that have seen classical music losing time slots on the public broadcaster’s airwaves. Recent decisions have moved classical music away from morning, afternoon, and evening slots. Popular classical CBC shows including Music & Company, Here’s to You, Studio Sparks, and DiscDrive have all been scheduled for cancellation. Last year, Music for a While, Two New Hours, Symphony Hall, The Singer and the Song, and Northern Lights were cut. The CBC Young Composers Competition was also recently terminated.

Jeff Keay, a spokesperson for the CBC, told the Straight,[1] “The nature of managing finite resources is that you have to make difficult decisions based on the amount of resources that you have....We did a very detailed evaluation of this, and we determined that at the end of the day we could bring more music to Radio 2 by pursuing initiatives with existing music organizations rather than supporting the infrastructure of the CBC orchestra. I don’t think anyone liked the decision, obviously, but part of the nature of having to make decisions on resources is that you have to make hard decisions.” [2]

[1] A Vancouver online news source
[2] from Straight.com, March 28, 2008.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: classical radio stations #591503 05/09/08 11:09 PM
T
T.S.R. Offline
T
WFMT 98.7 in Chicago is quite famous.

listen all around the world at
www.wfmt.com

Great station, varied programming, only a few manageable commercials that are actually just read, none of the prerecorded commercials with silly sounds and all.

Re: classical radio stations #591504 05/10/08 10:16 AM
Kreisler Offline
Probably the coolest online radio is Pandora.

www.pandora.com

If you haven't tried it, definitely check it out!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: classical radio stations #591505 05/10/08 11:12 AM
Knabe26 Offline
Kreisler - Thanks! What a find -- Pandora is fabulous.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
Re: classical radio stations #591506 05/10/08 02:53 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Probably the coolest online radio is Pandora.

www.pandora.com

"Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative."

Oh, well!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: classical radio stations #591507 05/10/08 04:32 PM
V
virtuoso_18 Offline
V
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
[b] Probably the coolest online radio is Pandora.

www.pandora.com

"Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative."

Oh, well!

Regards, [/b]
If you are interested in visiting the website, I happen to know a trick or two to achieve this. The site verifies that you're outside the US using your IP address, so what you can do is channel the site through a proxy. This can be done in 2 ways, the easiest would be using a proxy site, and the other would be using software called "Http Tunnel" or any other smilar software.
I've made this link for you, which will allow you to access the site using the proxy site "www.youtubeproxy.co.uk", in case it doesn't work, you can always manually visit the proxy site, and type the address of the website you'd like to visit in the designated box.

Here's the link : http://www.youtubeproxy.co.uk/index.php?a=d3d3LnBhbmRvcmEuY29t

I hope this is of help

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
Re: classical radio stations #591508 05/11/08 01:38 AM
G
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here in Portland, Or. we are fortunate to have KBPS, 89.9, Classical music all day long. It has no commercials, and is paid for by contributions from the listening public and several generous donors.

I have an intercom system in my house and can hear wonderful music from KBPS in every room--except that recently I have been picking up crackling noises, so will have to find someone to service the system. Gaby Tu

Re: classical radio stations #591509 05/11/08 02:55 AM
godowskian Offline
Does anybody know of a good classical station around the chicago-land area?

Re: classical radio stations #591510 05/11/08 01:36 PM
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopins composer of the week this week i think on radio 3 for those of you who have it

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
World Piano Day livestream
by Tyrone Slothrop - 03/28/20 12:42 PM
YouTube : DeutscheGrammophe
by Pianoperformance - 03/28/20 11:12 AM
Piano meetup pandemic recital
by KevinM - 03/28/20 11:06 AM
Stephen Hough and Covid 19
by gooddog - 03/28/20 09:54 AM
Rust spots on strings
by Deltajockey - 03/28/20 08:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,744
Posts2,939,650
Members96,385
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission