2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
One of the textbooks for my sightreading course is Volume 1 of the Beethoven Sonatas.

That's right. We're sightreading in class the first 16 Beethoven sonatas this semester (one every week).

help

On Friday of this week we have to submit to the teacher a list of the sonata movements that we've already studied - there are 6 students in the class. Then each week, 3 or 4 students are assigned to practice a sonata that they have not played before - 1 student for each movement - and they are the week's "leaders". Then, after the end of the week, when we have our class, they 'lead' while the other students in the class sight-read / sight-play along.

(Since this week is the first week, we just have to practice Hanon in 12 Major keys without watching our hands)

help

Sam
Sounds like a piece of pie!!

A very delicious, yet hard to eat piece of pie.

Playing piano is 90% mental, the other half is physical.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
What class is this?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianojerome:
One of the textbooks for my sightreading course is Volume 1 of the Beethoven Sonatas.

That's right. We're sightreading in class the first 16 Beethoven sonatas this semester (one every week).
Impressive, yes, but wouldn't something less well-known be more appropriate for a sightreading course? I would hope that most students in such a course would have already at least read through most of the Beethoven sonatas, as well as having heard performances of many of them.

Next semester: two Chopin etudes each week. laugh

Best wishes,
Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apianonne:
What class is this?
Piano Sight-Reading. It's a required 2-semester course for all freshman piano majors, and optional for other music students.

Originally posted by Matthew Collett:
Impressive, yes, but wouldn't something less well-known be more appropriate for a sightreading course? I would hope that most students in such a course would have already at least read through most of the Beethoven sonatas, as well as having heard performances of many of them.
You'd be surprised. Besides, even if most of us have heard, say, Op. 2 No. 3, that doesn't necessarily mean that we know it well enough that we already know what's coming in every measure when we play through it. (I sure don't... I'd say I'm *somewhat* familiar with maybe 5 or 6 of these sonatas, and have only actually played 2 of them.)

Sam
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
That sounds like a fun class Sam. I've done that for the fun of it with Haydn Sonatas. Beethoven can be a different ball of wax though. The Op. 22 (no. 11 in B-flat is pretty tricky).

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Yummy but hard.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
In a piano literature class we each took turns sightreading Preludes and Fugues of Bach once. That wasn't too much fun. smile

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
In a piano literature class we each took turns sightreading Preludes and Fugues of Bach once. That wasn't too much fun. smile
I'd hate to be the professor teaching that class every year...

Sam
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by pianojerome:
[b] In a piano literature class we each took turns sightreading Preludes and Fugues of Bach once. That wasn't too much fun. smile
I'd hate to be the professor teaching that class every year... [/b]
She would leave the door open and would sneak in and out of the studio taking phone calls or socializing in the halls. So she probably didn't suffer through too much of it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What institution do you go to?

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I'm a student at the University of Michigan.

Sam
P
P
are music students at the college level expected to read through Beethoven's sonatas and Bach's preludes and fugues at sight??

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've never heard of that classs before. University of Michigan must be rather unique in offering it. Why not just spend a semester learning one sonata really well? Strange. Is Piano Sightreading equivalent to Musicianship? I saw that class at one college.

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh, c'mon, guys: sight-reading skills are part of the training of any serious student of piano. There's no better way to develop the skill than do it. That this teacher chooses Beethoven Sonatas or something else is interesting, but developing sight-reading skills has nothing to do with "learning one sonata really well"!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
I've never heard of that classs before. University of Michigan must be rather unique in offering it. Why not just spend a semester learning one sonata really well? Strange. Is Piano Sightreading equivalent to Musicianship? I saw that class at one college.
This is in addition to studio lessons - i.e. students are still required to learn one sonata really well, and also maybe some Bach, and maybe some Chopin... + all of the sight-reading practice for this course.

Sam
I recall reading an interview of John Browning and he stated he would assign a new sonata every week to his students. They were required to play it the following week from memory. He admitted it was difficult, but his students eventually found a way to accomplish this task.

He didn't mention which sonatas, but based on the context of the interview, I would imagine they were Mozart, Haydn, or Beethoven sonatas.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission