2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#590372 09/28/02 04:48 AM
B
B

#590373 09/30/02 12:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I first "discovered" classical music (i.e., when I started playing the piano) nearly four years ago, I had some interest in Beethoven and Mozart. But it quickly (within 8 mos.) gave way to a tremendous love/obsession with Chopin's music. But things have gradually changed, although I still love Chopin. I discovered the symphonic music, and Beethoven was my favorite there (symphonies 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 especially).

Then about six months ago, I discovered the incredible wealth of piano music from Beethoven. Now I have nearly every piano sonata of his on mp3, and can't get enough of it! Also, I've been playing the first mvmt of op.49 (the one in G-minor) for five months or so. I'm getting pretty good with it, but what's neat is that I like it more every time I play it! Like all his piano stuff, it grows on me if given the slightest chance. You may try listening to: Diabelli variations, Pathetique (op.13), The Tempest (op. 31?). Upon a few hearings of the latter two, I was mesmerized and determined to play them someday. Who knows, that could happen to you eventually.

Rick

#590374 09/30/02 08:04 PM
G
G
Originally posted by Stanza:
Beethoven was to classical music what the Beatles were to rock. He was a risk-taker, who was unafraid to be different, mainly by using a lot of variety in rhythm, texture, and dynamics.
Actually this is not true. Beethoven fought himself and his emerging unique style. He berated himself for not being more like his mentor Hyden. He spent the first half of his career trying to sqash the exploding expression that eventually became his signature and the rest of the worlds passage into the Romantic Period.

For me Beethoven was the first music that made me feel the "mature" player and made me want to practice harder and play more difficult compositions......so still to this day I love to play / listen to his music!

Gardener--
Two roads diverged in the woods and I ... I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.(R. Frost)
#590375 09/30/02 09:57 PM
S
subarus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by Rick:
When I first "discovered" classical music (i.e., when I started playing the piano) nearly four years ago, I had some interest in Beethoven and Mozart. But it quickly (within 8 mos.) gave way to a tremendous love/obsession with Chopin's music. But things have gradually changed, although I still love Chopin. I discovered the symphonic music, and Beethoven was my favorite there (symphonies 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 especially).

Then about six months ago, I discovered the incredible wealth of piano music from Beethoven. Now I have nearly every piano sonata of his on mp3, and can't get enough of it! Also, I've been playing the first mvmt of op.49 (the one in G-minor) for five months or so. I'm getting pretty good with it, but what's neat is that I like it more every time I play it! Like all his piano stuff, it grows on me if given the slightest chance. You may try listening to: Diabelli variations, Pathetique (op.13), The Tempest (op. 31?). Upon a few hearings of the latter two, I was mesmerized and determined to play them someday. Who knows, that could happen to you eventually.

Rick
When I started learning 2 years ago, I liked pop song, when I was introduced to Bach, I liked it.. some goes for Mozart and others.. When I was assigned a 'transcribed' Blues or jazz, I like it.. same goes for rag time... all goes well except for Beethoven..

I am sure some of you can relate to this: it's very difficult to play a piece that I dont relate to. It's like reading a teenage romance novel, I already know what is going to happen next... before this thread, I used to think that I am too 'matured' for Beethoven but now I think the converse is more likely.

I can appreciate listening to Chopin but it will be awhile before I can truly play his music. I don't understand Listz's music but that is a separate topic.

I am feeling like I am on a journey, a musical adventure and exploration... Every I met someone he tells me he like Beethoven, some articulated beautifully why B is so special... some provides 'directions' and experience of their journey.. someday I will like Beethoven.... I better smile

#590376 11/20/02 12:24 PM
B
B
For those who don't like a certain composer because of certain pieces, I would suggest to try other works by that composer.

I used to not like Mozart since the first 10-20 pieces I heard of Mozart were all, to my surprise now, bad for my taste. I came across some recently (a couple of Minuets) and K. 826. So I stopped dismissing a composer, and kept listening to more of their works.

For example, I didn't like Bach until I heard his No. 988, or Rachmaninoff (forgive my spelling) until I heard Rach. concerto No. 3. So I just keep listening, and they always surprise me with pieces here and there. Keep listening!

BTW, although some of Chopin's pieces are more profound to my taste that others, I haven't heard a piece by him that I didn't like, so far (I have listened to over 80 of his works so far.)

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
#590377 11/20/02 02:08 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
What an interesting debate!

I don't think there's anything to worry about in disliking Beethoven - I find I dislike "most" of Beethoven and Chopin's work.

I want to hear from the people who don't like J.S. Bach... THEY are the ones with the problem! laugh

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
#590378 11/20/02 02:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Go and listen to someone else paying Beethoven. It's amazing how a professional pianist can make music tha you'd got bored of or never truly appreciated, come alive! Remember, that even the best CDs are only a shadow of a live performance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission