2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#584688 11/10/01 11:43 PM
A
Amy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm thinking about starting to give lessons to beginning students for some extra money and experience. Does anyone have any advice about how to get it started? Also once I start, are there any activities that you recommend doing?

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
Hi.
This is my second year of teaching piano. My advice would be to start small, with just 2 or 3 students, to avoid becoming overwhelmed. Talk to your teacher and to other teachers about what to charge, what method books to use, and to see if they will refer some students to you that they don't have time to teach themselves. Read about pedagogy, and about the piano. Talk to people about teaching. Become a sponge.
Even though you may feel like you have no idea what you're doing, don't sweat. Teaching can also be a learning experience for you.
I never thought I'd say this, but teaching is actually fun! So you might find a passion you didn't know you had.

M
M
Amy,

You might want to try this link: http://www.sunflower.org/~bhugh/messageboard.spm

This message board will most likely answer a lot of your questions.

Hope this helps.

Mike

P
P
Amy, go to www.pianoteaching.com and click on the piano club. This is a piano teacher BB with brand new young teachers like you as well as teachers with years of experience who can help you. Ok, back to Lurkland.

A
A
Not all pianists can teach, as I am sure you are aware of by now. The only way for you to find out if you like it, and have the patience to do it, is to try it out. From the posts that I have read from you, and from your wonderful piano web site that I have visited, I think you would be a very good teacher, and should definitely give it a try and see how you like it. Another thing to consider is where you would be giving the piano lessons, and if your parents would not object to students coming in and out of your house that you have never met before. In any event, I wish you much success in your teaching, and let us know how you like it after awile.
Regards:
Allen
smile

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Allen ]

A
Amy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you everyone for your replys. I will try the links that you gave me.
Allen- I'm glad you enjoyed my webpage! smile

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
A
A
Hi, one of my parent's friend wants me to teach her 4 year old daughter. I'm 14 years old, and I have only had minimal teaching experience. Should I accept the offer or not? (yes, the friend is very, very serious about it)

Please help!

"People who love music love it everyday. Ask anyone. They have a passion for it, and passion don't leave you alone."--James Conlon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anzlilies..
Because the child you would potentially be teaching is so young, and you have not had much experience, i would have to say don't teach lessons. Children at an age that young will form bad habits in the basics if not taught properly,and if you are not trained to catch those bad habits, it could mean problems for the child as he/she continues in their training...i would say wait until you are a little older and have more experience under your belt, and then start with begginers in 1st grade age-range.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I say go for it! If its something that you want, do it.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission