2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
in what opinion what piece would be perfect for a transcription for piano? try to think of pieces that haven't been transcribed for 1 piano and 1 pianist before wink

Zac

"I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies" - Artur Schnabel

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One of my "back-burner" projects is a transcription of Danny Elfman's "Breakfast Machine" from Pee-Wee's Big Top Adventure.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I try to transcribe this incredible piece for piano, but I'm not good at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNggQ-DKyU&feature=related

"Silence is music too"
Online Content
Originally posted by Anders39:
I try to transcribe this incredible piece for piano, but I'm not good at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNggQ-DKyU&feature=related
Ach! Too bad Horowitz or Godowsky aren't still around. Maybe Thraacozag will transcribe it as a surprise encore for his upcoming NYC performance?

eek

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The music from those video games, Mario Kart was it? I don't really know. I've never owned a video game, but whenever I hear the music it makes me want to play it. Especially now, the video game music is getting more sophisticated and actually sounds like real music.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I remember someone posting to a similar thread (either on this forum or the "other" one) the Overture to "Candide". I would second that. I think it would make a spectacular piano transcription.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oginski's Polonaise "Farewell to the Fatherland." It probably wouldn't be a great transcription but I'd still be interested in hearing it. smile

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oginski's Polonaise "Farewell to the Fatherland." It probably wouldn't be a great transcription but I'd still be interested in hearing it. smile

Mozart - Sonata K 282
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think this one would be perfect.

Houston, Texas
Online Content
For those interested, one of the biggest and perhaps the biggest list of transcriptions on the net is here:

http://www.pianophilia.com/ot/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by akonow:
Oginksi's Polonaise "Farewell to the Fatherland." It probably wouldn't be a great transcription but I'd still be interested in hearing it. smile
There are many transcriptions of Ogiński's Polonaise - and it's as beautiful on the piano as it is in original arrangement. Well, at least, I love it on piano too smile

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mati:
Originally posted by akonow:
[b] Oginksi's Polonaise "Farewell to the Fatherland." It probably wouldn't be a great transcription but I'd still be interested in hearing it. smile
There are many transcriptions of Ogiński's Polonaise - and it's as beautiful on the piano as it is in original arrangement. Well, at least, I love it on piano too smile

M. [/b]
I didn't know that. That's very interesting and I think I'll look that up right now.

I also would like to hear Schubert's String Quintet in C Major, D. 956 transcribed for piano. laugh At least parts of it...

Mozart - Sonata K 282
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i always wondered why Saint-Saens "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso" never has been transcribed to piano. it's a fantastic piece by itself, but it would be interesting to hear it on piano, and it would be difficult as a piano solo, considering it's an orchestra work like a symphony or a violin concerto.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by signa:
I always wondered why Saint-Saens "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso" never has been transcribed to piano. it's a fantastic piece by itself, but it would be interesting to hear it on piano, and it would be difficult as a piano solo, considering it's an orchestra work like a symphony or a violin concerto.
Interesting thought, might be fun! Beethoven transcribed his violin concerto for piano (at Clementi's suggestion with due financial compensation) but truth to tell, the result is less than stellar.

I rather hate it. Think of all those moments of piercing eloquence in the original, yet in the piano version it is all reduced to a quasi music box effect. Totally vomitous, though it does give a certain insight into how freely Beethoven looked on his own handiwork. Ew...

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DameMyra:
I remember someone posting to a similar thread (either on this forum or the "other" one) the Overture to "Candide". I would second that. I think it would make a spectacular piano transcription.
Oh, but I've played this. confused

I performed a concert version of "Candide" using the piano/conductor's score.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The Holst suites for band. I see there already is a transcription of one movement from the first suite.

Some arrangements that seem like they could be so much fun that I've even thought of trying to do them myself, even though I don't know how to compose, are Ravel's Tzigane and some of the Ysaye solo violin sonatas. What I think would work are very free transcriptions that thoroughly re-imagine the music for piano, instead of trying to stick close to the original.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Whenever I hear the famous Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi from the Carl Orff Carmina Burana I want to work it out on the piano. This evocative theme has been very influential on many film composers. Ray Manzarak of the Doors collaborated on a version with Phillip Glass. I believe it possible to arrive at transcription making full use of the percussive and polyrythmic elements.

By the way, the complete Planets Suite is available here for piano published by Zen-on Music. I had a quick look at it and it's a fine transcription but one may always build on it and adapt according to one's interpretation.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
Online Content
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Whenever I hear the famous Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi from the Carl Orff Carmina Burana I want to work it out on the piano. This evocative theme has been very influential on many film composers.
All of Carmina Burana has already been transcried by Chumachenko.

I really really really want to transcribe all of the Shostakovich String Quartets!

"Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors."

~Ludwig van Beethoven~
R
R
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Whenever I hear the famous Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi from the Carl Orff Carmina Burana I want to work it out on the piano.
Here's the lyrics to help you work it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUm6XUFV8_U

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: laugh

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission