2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#575859 09/02/05 02:42 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I usually illegally download music off the internet. Shhhhhhhh. I have one recording of the pathetique sonata by Arthur Rubenstein (who is not one of my favorite pianists). And Im looking to buy a Cd of the complete beethoven sonatas. Or at least a Cd with a good Pathetique.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Skriabin:
I usually illegally download music off the internet. Shhhhhhhh. Im looking to buy a Cd of the complete beethoven sonatas. Or at least a Cd with a good Pathetique.
Your looking to BUY a cd? why don't you go to the record store and steal one. It's the same thing your doing with the internet. It always amazes me that people think it's o.k. to steal from artists, just because it's off the internet.
They think it falls out of the sky and
it's their right to get it free or close to it.
It's not. people work to make things that you buy.
just like you work. if you steal it, your cheating them (the pianists you love). not to mention the fact that it gets more expensive for everyone else who buys the things that you steal in order to compensate.

JOHN
B
B
gilels is almost complete, and would be my #1 pick. only a couple of important ones are left off, i think due to his death, like #32.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with bach enthusiast : It's bad enough that many people will "steal" copyrighted performances from websites, still worse that they publicly brag about it and think that they are smart doing so!

You won't get the complete Beethoven sonatas on "a CD." Goode's performance of the Beethoven 32, which is highly commended by many, is on 9 CDs.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yeah, Goode's set of the 32 is very good.

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If your just looking for one of the best pathetiques for a cheap price, the seraphim label(I believe it's called) has a cd of Walter Gieseking playing it,all of opus 14, and all of op.27. opus 27 includes the "moonlight" that you also want to play. these seraphim cd's are sold everywhere in the city. (I see u live in L.I.) less than $10 usually too. This is ideal for your purposes cause it has the two sonatas that you're looking to hear, it's cheap, and the pianist(Gieseking)was a Beethoven master(no seriously, he's the best IMO). While your at it, pick up a copy(on the same label) of Beethoven's 3rd and 5th piano concertos with Rudolph Firkusny(piano)
and Walter Susskind (conducting the Pittsbg. S.O.)
The piano concertos are some of the best I've heard, no joke. You'll probably spend less than $15 for the two discs. top notch performances too.

JOHN
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Oh, just the Pathetique?

Richter.

He recorded it on Melodiya: Pathetique and Appassionata Sonatas, 6 Bagatellen, and the Choral Fantasy.

One of the greatest solo piano CDs I've ever heard.

Oh, it's out-of-print. mad

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have the Richard Goode set. It's a very well-played set of Beethoven sonatas. Technically, I see no problem with it, but some parts of the sonatas sound a little "dry", but maybe that's just me. Brendel has great insight into the Beethoven sonatas as well. I think he recorded them three times. You should look into all three of them.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I own Goode's complete Beethoven sonatas, and they are wonderful, but I must say that the set of Gieseking's I have on vinyl is timeless, also totally unavailable. If your're going for a complete, Goode is the ticket. If u just want Op.27 and Op.13, the Gieseking seraphim is a great catch. I mean $6 bucks... c'mon. For Gieseking Beethoven.

JOHN
K
K
i vote for the arrau-recording. he has a warm, mature sound and i love him playing beethoven.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by bach enthusiast:
I own Goode's complete Beethoven sonatas, and they are wonderful, but I must say that the set of Gieseking's I have on vinyl is timeless, also totally unavailable.
It's on CD, I own it.

It's on the Tahra label and I imagine it would be quite hard to find outside of Europe.

Originally posted by pianojerome:
Richter.

He recorded it on Melodiya: Pathetique and Appassionata Sonatas, 6 Bagatellen, and the Choral Fantasy.

One of the greatest solo piano CDs I've ever heard.
That's not even his best Pathetique recording. His other one is WAY better, especially the 2nd movement.

Link

One of my favourite Richter CDs.

F
F
You can purchase the Walter Gieseking set at www.cdmail.fr

1909 Briggs 6'2" Grand
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I recollect Gieseking's performances as having a slightly "forced" character, as if he were pushing the music along, rather than allowing it to flow of its own course. YMMV.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by bach enthusiast:
Originally posted by Skriabin:
[b] I usually illegally download music off the internet. Shhhhhhhh. Im looking to buy a Cd of the complete beethoven sonatas. Or at least a Cd with a good Pathetique.
Your looking to BUY a cd? why don't you go to the record store and steal one. It's the same thing your doing with the internet. It always amazes me that people think it's o.k. to steal from artists, just because it's off the internet.
They think it falls out of the sky and
it's their right to get it free or close to it.
It's not. people work to make things that you buy.
just like you work. if you steal it, your cheating them (the pianists you love). not to mention the fact that it gets more expensive for everyone else who buys the things that you steal in order to compensate. [/b]
There was a comedic commercial written about this. I believe it was the Osbourne family who was afflicted the most by this problem? I think they couldn't afford an eigth house.... wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Arrau.

S
S
The set by Claude Frank from the late 60s is my favorite, one of the best performed sets ever IMO. Better yet, its very budget priced. Is it just me, or does this set not get the attention it deserves, while we always hear about the Goode, Barenboim, Kempff, and Brendel sets (as good as they are, Frank's belongs higher than some of them)?

M
M
By most standards the best recording of the sonatas is Artur Schnabel. However, the problem with this recording is that it was made in 1917 and the sound quality isn't the greatest. I bought this set as a second set after I had listened to all the sonatas.

I also like the Barenboim edition. Although some of his tempi are a bit questionable.

MP
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Secodn C. Frank. Other excellent ones are Backhaus and A Fisher.

A
A
My favourites: Kempff (1950s), Arrau (1960s, warm sound mentioned above but an acquired taste), Kovacevich from the 1990s/2000s.

A few of the cycles beginning now look promising: Paul Lewis is starting a series on Harmnia Mundi (though I shall wait with this), and Schiff and Uchida are both set to launch cycles.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission