2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#571292 12/17/05 05:10 PM
Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Now before anything I request nobody get upset at this.

I just don't understand what the big deal with Horowitz is... I have listened to many of his recordings including all of his Rach 3 recordings and have not found anything that really stood out to me. Could somebody please enlighten me?

The clown is watching you.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, for one thing, he plays with amazing clarity.

Sam
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I can see that he was an excellent pianist, but his Rach 3 recording never really hit it off with me either.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
like sam said, crystal like clarity that you will be hard pressed to find in any other pianist living or deceased, his technique and control over every note was tremendous and had arguably the greatest technique this side of Liszt.

just out of curiosity who DOES stand out to you in Rach 3 then? Because it is my opinion that Horowitz owns the Rach 3 like thomas edison owns the lightbulb so I am just curious because maybe you have different tastes for expression etc, did you hear Horowitz's Beethoven or his kreisleriana or what else don't you like about his?

The only thing I never liked about Horowitz personally is his damned idea that he knew better than the godlike composers in changing parts of the music around, like in that video where he plays the mozart #23 he has the audacity to tell maestro giulini that he plays certain passages in the concerto differently than what Mozart has written and gives as his reason the fact that Mozart was overworked and didn't concentrate on the composition enough and if he did he would have felt the same way about that particular phrase as Horowitz did!! That is some humongous juevos this guy had LOL, I dunno maybe this should be an admirable quality?

By the way can anyone tell me what the heck it is that Horowitz says in that recording of the a minor Mozart movement where he's talking a bunch of unintelligable nonsense and says that anyone who plays this piece as fast as he demonstrates should 'go to jail' ?? It's right in the beginning he says something I can't understand what the heck he's saying...

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, Horowitz to me has the greatest touch. He has the most delicate PPP, and sometimes can bang a little bit (Horowitz: In Moscow). Horowitz is also very original, he says "When I didn't know piano, I watched my Uncle play, and we called him "Uncle who played loud laugh ." I wanted to play just like him, but when I was 10, 11 years old I only wanted to play like myself." The emotion, clarity, and touch he brings to the piano is breathtaking.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Requiem Aeternam:
just out of curiosity who DOES stand out to you in Rach 3 then? Because it is my opinion that Horowitz owns the Rach 3 like thomas edison owns the lightbulb.
His student, Byron Janis. I actually prefer Janis/Dorati's first movement to Horowitz/Reiner.

The only thing I never liked about Horowitz personally is his damned idea that he knew better than the godlike composers in changing parts of the music around, like in that video where he plays the mozart #23 he has the audacity to tell maestro giulini that he plays certain passages in the concerto differently than what Mozart has written and gives as his reason the fact that Mozart was overworked and didn't concentrate on the composition enough and if he did he would have felt the same way about that particular phrase as Horowitz did!! That is some humongous juevos this guy had LOL, I dunno maybe this should be an admirable quality?
Well, editors do that all the time. Maybe they're not so macho about it, though. Well, maybe they are, I don't know. :p

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
just out of curiosity who DOES stand out to you in Rach 3 then? Because it is my opinion that Horowitz owns the Rach 3 like thomas edison owns the lightbulb.
This is true for Rachmaninoff declared that nobody, even himself, would be able to play this concerto better than Horowitz. Basically saying that Horowitz owned the Concerto, therefore has the best concerto.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
seriously, I mean I've heard things about so many, like Argerich, I listened to her Gilette concerto and Horowitz I think blows her bra off with his rendition

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
seriously, I mean I've heard things about so many, like Argerich, I listened to her Gilette concerto and Horowitz I think blows her bra off with his rendition
?Gilette concerto?

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Palindrome:
[b] seriously, I mean I've heard things about so many, like Argerich, I listened to her Gilette concerto and Horowitz I think blows her bra off with his rendition
?Gilette concerto? [/b]
lol

MACH 3

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
aahhahahahaha sam figured it out

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
gillette the best a maaan can get

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Danor used to post a funny picture of "Mach 3: The Best a Pianist Can Get" in his signature. A google search isn't finding it, though.

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

The best a pianist can get.....

:p

Sam
Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well the reason I don't like Horowitz all that much is because he has a tendency to bang. Like in his Rach 3 recordings I think it was the most bombastic interpretation I have heard of it. I guess I like the smoother interpretations. Not necessarily slower, I like it exciting, but not brittle (which some of his banging soounded like IMO).

I know people are going to laugh at me since this performance isn't to most people's taste but I really enjoyed Hough's recording. It was exciting, musical, and I really liked his tone.

Argerich's was indeed very exciting... the first time. After a while her fast but sloppy playing tends to get old. I would love to see that live but for repeated listenings I would rather listen to a more reserved recording.

I too enjoyed Janis' recording of the Rach 3.

Perhaps one reason I don't like Horowitz is that my opinion of him as a person interferes with my opinion of him as a musician. I think he is very arrogant and cocky which automatically turns me off.

The clown is watching you.
B
B
????????

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like Horowitz most of the time, but Like all pianists, I like some of what they do but not all of it. As far as Horowitz goes, my favorite thing he does is Chopins 10/4. Lots of recordings of the piece are too fast and bland. Horowitz gives the piece the rowdiness that it deserves.

JOHN
T
T
I had the fortune to hear Horowitz live on two occasions and both were 'events,' though all of his concerts were! He was the kind of artist who was given a standing ovation before he played a note (the only other pianist I saw receive that kind of welcome was Artur Rubinstein).

His playing was extraordinary, the most unbelieveable control...ppp to fff...a truly freak-of-nature, hugely powerful technique.

When he was in his prime, the greatest artists were the rock stars of their day (we don't have any pianists today that remotely approach that level). In addition to being a brilliant pianist, Horowitz was purported to be a crafty businessman that understood promotion. Working with others, he created a 'buzz' prior to his recitals that had fans in a feeding frenzy. The point is that much of Horowitz was aura.

That aside, very few can play at the level of a Horowitz...so good that they can get away with blatant mistakes, take interpretive risks and still be adored. His performances aren't always the best, aren't always the most musical, but he was a consistently great performer who could dazzle better than anybody. He knew how to please his audience time and again, and that goes a long way in creating a legend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bach enthusiast:
I like Horowitz most of the time, but Like all pianists, I like some of what they do but not all of it. As far as Horowitz goes, my favorite thing he does is Chopins 10/4. Lots of recordings of the piece are too fast and bland. Horowitz gives the piece the rowdiness that it deserves.
I assume you are referring to the 1972 recording, and that's one of my favorites of that piece as well. He plays it at a tempo which is exciting, but not so fast as to sacrifice clarity--every note is played. Compare that to the way some pianists race through the piece, dropping notes left and right.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Palindrome:
[b] seriously, I mean I've heard things about so many, like Argerich, I listened to her Gilette concerto and Horowitz I think blows her bra off with his rendition
?Gilette concerto? [/b]
Ach! Gewalt!

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission