2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#570146 11/08/07 10:25 AM
V
OP Offline
V
I was wondering what all your thought were on having to audition to become a music major somewhere if you only wanted to be a music teacher or theory or comosition major; not a performance major.

The reason I ask this is it's always been my dream to be a music teacher. I've took up to second semester theory at my Community college and loved it, it was hard for sure, but it's something I'm really passionate about and like too. My teacher is well qualified, he has studied at the Cleaveland conservatory of Music, he studied abroad in Vienna for music, and he did his graduate studies at Wake Forest in Music. So just because I'm at a Comm. College, don't think I'm not getting a proper education. It was no walk in the park but I managed to get A's in my theory classes.

But I'm not good enough in any instrument including my voice to audition. I have done chorus, but to pass audition with vocals I was told I need to learn an Aria from an Opera dating from the Classical period and also another piece dating from the Classical period. I don't have the money to get a voice coach, so I can learn to pronouce the words correctly and get everything smoothed out. I can pass theory tests all day long as long as they are not passed what I last learned in Theory (Secondary Dominants and Secondary Diminished Chords)

I have the book knowldge, better than a lot of the people I know that go to Music School and have the performance skills. I don't think this is fair, since I'm not even wanting to be a performance major; I think they can teach me to play an instrument better or sing better while I'm there; if thats what they want from me
What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The problem is, how are they to know what you are capable of? As a voice and piano teacher myself, I would say that being able to sing in at least Italian is a must, and it is something that all of my voice students are taught at the middle and high school level. I am assuming since you are posting on this forum that you also play piano? Yet you claim that you're not good enough in any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way, but how would you be able to teach someone if you cannot do it yourself? Generally, composition or theory majors as well as music ed majors all need to audtiion on their primary instrument. However, that is taken into consideration when auditioning that you are not a performance major. I would select whatever instrument interests you most, find out what the requiremtns are for auditions as a non-performance major, and then take private lessons to help you get yourself to that level.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
OP Offline
V
What I meant is I don't have classical training in any instruments. A little with voice. I've played guitar for almost 8 years, but it's is popular music, not something I can audition with.

I teach myself piano, so they're is no way I can be able to audition for that; I am realistic.

I have to audition in either Jazz or classical, and I don't have that background really, if auditioning in Jazz you must go through two auditions at some schools.

I'm well versed in Common practice theory, and a lot of how theory, but it's like my performance abilities are holding me back.

It's frustrating to me. Really. Honestly.
So right now, I'm planning on Majoring in French, and maybe one day when I can get money for lessons, I can practice a french aria and audition that.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I agree with what Morodiene has said. You need to have an instrument (or voice) that is up to audition level if you hope to go into a program that will eventually turn you out as a music teacher. While it is true that your skills on any instrument - and/or voice - will be developed while you are in a music program, most programs aren't geared for beginners; they want to work training people who have already some established technique and some basic repertoire.

If you are planning to teach, you haven't clarified whether than means you wish to teach privately or whether you wish to teach in an institution. Even in elementary schools teachers with voice training have to have sufficient piano-playing skills to be able to read music well enough to accompany choirs and/or soloists; one doesn't always have the luxury of an accompanist available for that kind of work in all schools. Nor does one have the time, with limited playing skills, to practice accompaniments; there's usually too much work to allow time for that.

Remember, too, that there are many, many students in University music programs, music schools and Conservatories who, given the extreme competition in the performance end of music, end up teaching. They will be stiff competition who may well eliminate you from consideration if you don't have the musical training we are talking about, and to get that traning you almost always have to start with an audition.

I must say that I don't know many voice teachers, but the few that I know and have known all have (have had) piano-playing skills; they can't teach without such skills. If voice was their specialty in their training program, then they had to audition with some vocal repertoire but even then had piano as the required instrument.

It's not a question of whether or not its "fair" that an audition is required; it's simply one of the demands of almost any music training program; potential students have to prove already developed musical skills and talents because at that level, training is not geared for beginners with no practical skills. Your theory background certainly is an excellent foundation for studies, but it's not enough for music traning programs that turn out performers or those qualified to each.

All that said, you may, with some research, find a program that will suit you, but I don't think it's the type of program found in most Universities, Conservtories or music programs.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
V
OP Offline
V
I understand. As Im still young, I guess my best bet is to take some voice or guitar or piano lessons or a combination and audition one day in the future; and right now just worry about being a french major

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
maybe some music students would give you lessons at a reduced price.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd say your best bet is voice, for this reason: many voice majors, particularly men, come to music later in life than do pianists or other instrumentalists. The voice changes in adolescence, and many young male singers don't discover they have any potential or interest in music until they are about your age.

So I believe juries are quite used to auditioning young men who may not be as well prepared as a pianist or violinist. They may be more sympathetic to your situation than you realize.

Maybe you should just go talk to a few voice teachers in your area, tell them about your background and excitement about music, let them vocalize you a little bit, and see what they say.

They may brush you off, but then again, they may give you a few pointers, suggest an aria, or more.

You sound enthusiastic, and I believe you really want to do this. I wouldn't wait. Pursue it now. Voice teachers are looking for raw talent of your age, not a finished singer with perfect Italian--and say, it sounds like you have some French in your background. Maybe an aria in French?

Best wishes
Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thinking about it for a bit, I'm not convinced that a jury would insist on an aria, or something in a foreign language. Most young men out of high school, or even out of community college, (I don't know why I assume you're a man, but I think you are), are not ready for something as demanding as an aria usually is. Something song like is what is needed. Maybe Copeland arrangements of folk songs, like "The Boatman's Dance." Michael Head was an English composer who wrote very nice songs that are not too taxing. Something like "Sweet Chance That Led My Steps Abroad" might be just the thing. If you have a pleasant voice, and sing simple songs sincerely, any natural musicality you have will come out.

Remember, they're looking for potential. Nobody expects a 20 year old male singer to be as accomplished as a 20 year old pianist.

Best
Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

M
M
Vanity, tomasino makes a good point, so you may want to give it a shot. When I auditioned for undergrad, I was a sophomore at my university, and they just had me do some vocalises and a little bit of a song I think. I don't recall if it was in a foreign lanaguage, but I don't think it was. I should caution you, however. I know that you are not on the performance track, but I woudl think if you are going to be a teacher in voice, you should make sure that you learn things correctly. There's a lot of misinformation in the vocal world, even in the universities. The best voice teachers are generally not affiliated with any college. When you audition, remmeber that you are auditioning them as well. Ask to listen to their students and to sit in on a lesson. If the teacher's students sound good, and if they teach according to how the voice actually works, with physiological principles (and not imagery which is solely base don how things feel and if very subjective), then I'd say you've found a good teacher. And read up yourself on how the voice works so you can make informed decisions about what you're being taught. There is a forum that I post on called the Classical Singer's Forum:
http://www.classicalsinger.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=592
and here you will find many discussions on vocal technique that may also help you prepare for auditions, in addition to giving you good information on vocal technique.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
V
OP Offline
V
Hey guys, here is what I'm going to do. The is a school of the arts really close to my house, all they teach there is music, art, or drama. So I guess you could say it is like a conservatory in ways, with art majors and drama majors there as well.

My music teacher told me I may be able to find someone to give me voice lessons their. If I do get voice lessons, I'll ask my teacher what he thinks I should learn to audition with, and also get to get better at sight-singing.

The only reason I said that you have to learn an aria in a foreign language and another piece in a foreign language is because my ex girlfriend auditioned for a school of music and those were her requirements plus, some sight-singing. But maybe, the guys requirements are different. Guy's aria's always sound more difficult to me.

I think voice will be the easiest to audition with, as long as I get the pronouciation right. Also, my ex girlfriend like I said auditioned voice, they also made her take a piano test (she's only a grade 4 at piano) and she passed the test; she had an easier test since she wasn't auditioning for piano.
She did tell me she had lots of piano classes at school, so she couls be able to accompany really well, as Bruce said.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is a little off topic, and maybe of more interest to singers than pianists, but Morodiene wrote something very insightful, and it may be instructive to pianists who may at some point in their careers have to understand something of singing.

Morodiene wrote: "and if they teach according to how the voice actually works, with physiological principles (and not imagery which is solely base don how things feel and if very subjective), then I'd say you've found a good teacher."

Right on. Vocal imagery is most valid if it coordinates with what is actually happening in the throat, the head, the chest, and so on. It's quite possible to imagine that you are singing from your left ear, or your right little toe, but this kind of teaching imagery can really screw up a singer in formative years.

This post might seem more appropriate in a singer's forum, but since many pianists find themselves working with singers, it may be pertinant.

Tomasino

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
tomasino: This post might seem more appropriate in a singer's forum, but since many pianists find themselves working with singers, it may be pertinent.
I work with singers on a regular basis -both at home on a non-liturgical basis, and at church on a liturgical basis- and what you say is very helpful and pertinent.

Jason
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I NEVER audition. If you're good enough, they will come after you...

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Auntie Lynn:
I NEVER audition. If you're good enough, they will come after you...
That's all very well, but you're taking the audition question of this thread totally out of context.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
V
OP Offline
V
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by Auntie Lynn:
[b] I NEVER audition. If you're good enough, they will come after you...
That's all very well, but you're taking the audition question of this thread totally out of context.

Regards, [/b]
I'll agree with Bruce, music is so competitive, I'd say less than 1% of performers actually get people coming out looking for them, it's not like sports with recruiting scouts everywhere.
So that means over 99% of performers still have to audition.

M
M
Since we're talking about auditioning for a school, I've never heard of a school coming to you to enroll. I do have people come to me for singing or playing at a wedding or service, and I don't audition for those things.

Vanity: I'm sure someone at the school you're talking about would gladly give you some lessons to prepare for auditions. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission