2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Wow, I had one of the biggest encouragments to my improvement on piano. I printed out the first page of the moonlight sonata, the first movement and it isn't as hard as I was expecting. I really enjoy the way it feels to play this piece. I didn't get to play very long, and only got about halfway through the first page. But it made me feel really good, because the last time I looked at moonlight sonata, I couldn't even play the right hand part by itself, and I pretty much sight-read the first 3.5 meaures, which I felt happy about. whome

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it's not a beginner's piece, but a lot of beginners want to play this movement and only this movement of this sonata, and many couldn't make it sound good because although it looks simple on sheet, it requires some control, touch and some techniques that most beginners don't yet have to make it sound decent. the 1st page is easier, compared with the rest of the movement. you'd have a lot of work ahead.

when i first tried it (a couple of years ago), just sight reading through, i had a lot of trouble to play it. then last year, i officially tackled it, it felt much easier technically for me and i played it for my teacher and got it 'done'. i haven't played it for a while and will have to refresh it if i ever want to play it again. i'm learning the 2nd movement now, which is also a very short, difficult(more than 1st movement), but very interesting movement to play.

V
OP Offline
V
yes, I was wanting to ask my music professor if I had my pianismo dynamic right. I'm trying to touch the keys very lightly while still making a sound. Is this the right way to do pianismo.

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i'm not sure 'light' touch a way to play it. it's kind 'weighted' and 'heavier' music in a sense, which means not to be played like playing a Mozart easy sonata. even if it's pianissimo, it's still not 'light' but soft and legato, i think.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by vanityx3:
yes, I was wanting to ask my music professor if I had my pianismo dynamic right. I'm trying to touch the keys very lightly while still making a sound. Is this the right way to do pianismo.
Controlling a real pianissimo is difficult. For fast and pp a light touch is a reasonable way to way go, but for slower passages (like this one) it's probably better to think in terms of 'slowly but firmly' to get an even dynamic with no missed notes.

Best wishes,
Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I am studying the Moonlight Sonata, and am getting really frustrated. One day I will play it through without any mistakes, and the next day,in will creep a mistake. I have been recording my playing, and am getting so it sounds pretty good--though far from perfect, but every once in a while I play a wrong note. I isolate that passage, work on it, and then when I have it down pat, a mistake creeps in on another passage. well, back to the piano for another go at it. Could be I am not concentrating as much as I should. Gaby Tu

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I feel so sad that the 1st mvt is so overplayed that I am sick of it. It is a masterpiece and yet ruined by overplaying.

Why they rarely perform the 3rd mvt? If they are such good pianists they should perform it. But no, 1st mvt is used only for beginners unfortunately..

It is wonderful that you try to perform it. Of course it is more difficult than most people think, but you can manage.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ecm:

"Why they rarely perform the 3rd mvt?"

I agree. There are a couple of schools of thought on this. One is that a pianist should never start anything beyond his or her ability. The second is that they approach difficult works with a humble attitude geared toward identifying weaknesses in technique and addres those.

To use an extreme example given this case, the arpeggios at the end of Movement 3 are extremely difficult even for professionals. They provide ample opportunity to improve technique, and maybe even question previously learned technique. They may require learning of thumb-over, for example, instead of the thumb-under many of us were taught.

vanityx3:

Don't be scared off by this, but recognize that this is a difficult piece - even the first movement - and will provide ample opportunity to hone your skills.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
vanityx3:

I’m with gerg ... don’t let anyone ruffle your learning the first movement of the Moonlight ... top motivator in the piano learning process is discovering an entrancing piece of music ... once found ... all the negative blurb on reported ‘difficulty’ by others should be regarded as “skeerdy cat” reaction ... a figment of the mind which slows progress ... nothing is difficult if the passion rages ... so many tame little mice blanch at thought of moving too fast.

Everybody learns to play the first movement of the Moonlight ... the confidence boost in mastering a few pages will prove electric to the exciting keyboard journey ahead.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Good luck with this lovely piece. Well done for progressing so that it is now within reach.

The first movement is perfectly playable and really repays concentration on pedalling and dynamics. Essential to get the tempo right too. Not too fast!

The whole sonata is strange in a way. The first movement is quite straightforward, and within reach of many players, but the Sonata as a whole is at ABRSM Diploma standard because of the much more difficult third movement. It is well worth perservering and learning the third movement as it provides a range of technical challenges and is very satisfying to play.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission