2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#560480 01/02/08 10:38 PM
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I started some chopin preludes, just to relax a little, instead of doing more serious pieces.

I have a question with opus 28, No 20. In measure Five, there is a weird notation where the octave is quickly followed by another two notes. Help- why isn't this a crushed note or grace note?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I don't have the score in front of me, but perhaps it is meant to be played simultaneously? Sometimes when there's a lot of notes in one place they print some of the notes next to another set of notes but they are all on the same beat. Just guessing here.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Chopin's preludes aren't for relaxing. They're short but they're demanding. Over half of them are grade 8 and above. Even the least difficult of them deserves your most conscientious effort.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
What I meant are that the ones I chose aren't technically demanding, but in my opinion, more pretty and touching than A maiden's prayer or something like that song./piece

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I looked up the sheet music and am not following your question. Perhaps I am mistaken. Or maybe the site I looked at has it mixed up. Is it in c Minor (Eb deleted)? http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~craig/keyscape/chopin-op28no20/index.html

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sean :

I don't understand your question either, and your explanation doesn't help. In measure 5, on the third beat, there is an octave (D) with an internal voice, a dotted eighth (Ab) followed by a sixteenth (F#). If that's what you're refering to, then the Ab is played with the octave notes D, and the F# is played in time, just a sixteenth-note before the next chord. Meanwhile, you hold the octave D for the full third beat.

It's exactly the same timing that you have in the first measure in the RH on beat 3: Eb/G played on the beat, and the F/D played one-sixteenth-note before beat four, all the while holding the G/Bnatural for the full beat. In fact, this rhythmic pattern occurs in every measure. It's just straightforward "musical arithmetic".

If that doesn't answer your question, please clarify.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
IT is this piece http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/compositions_b/pre28_20.pdf

But mine seems to be a simplified version also!? It doesn't have Four finger chords, but three. Hmm.

Yes, it is measure five in that.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sean,

That's the same version I have and it's not simplified. The description of how to play the 5th measure is precisely as BruceD described it.

Perhaps you could be clearer about what your problem seems to be.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sean :

epf (Ed) is right: that's the "original" version of this Prelude. What are you saying that there are no "four finger chords" in this piece? The first line of the right hand is almost nothing but four-note chords, with a couple of five-note chords thrown in for good measure!

Now, in measure five, what is the problem?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I think my question is (and maybe Sean's too), why is measure 5 and measure 3 written differently ("inner voice" versus "not inner voice" ?), if they actually mean the same?

The way measure 5 is written, it gives the impression that the first note of the "inner voice" (A) should be played ahead of the octave (D). Come to think of it, Scriabin does this a lot, and in his case, the notes should be played separately.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you newport for posting this. I haven't tried Scriabin yet. I hadn't looked at it that way. I don't understand your thought about measure 3.

In measure 5 the D octave and A appear to line up to me (maybe I need my eyes checked.) I think I'd need a magnifying glass to tell that they are not perfectly aligned. You may be overlooking the fact that the A is a dotted eighth because it is within the staff on the same space as the A and the stem is there.
BruceD gave a great explanation of the rhythm.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by newport:

The way measure 5 is written, it gives the impression that the first note of the "inner voice" (A) should be played ahead of the octave (D). Come to think of it, Scriabin does this a lot, and in his case, the notes should be played separately.
In all "conventional" music, that is, music that is not extremely avant-garde and that doesn't resort to unusual writing techniques, one relies solely on the counting out of beats within measures to determine where/when notes should be played. In this instance, the D octave and the Ab within the octave come exactly on the third beat, no matter how they might be "lined up" in your particular copy of the score. The Ab is definitely not played before the beat, ahead of the D's.

If you think about it, there is no other way to notate this except as it has been done. How else could you show a dotted eighth-note (Ab) followed by a sixteenth-note (F#), given that the dotted eighth-note occurs at the same time as the quarter-note octave? You could not join the Ab to the octave stems (quarter notes) because that would suggest that the Ab is then a dotted quarter! In print, the dotted-eighth Ab has to be separated from the D octaves, because the D octaves have a single stem, meaning they are quarter-notes.

If you don't trust my long-winded attempt at explaining this, listen to any recording of the work and you'll hear that this measure is to be played as I have tried to describe it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by newport:
I think my question is (and maybe Sean's too), why is measure 5 and measure 3 written differently ("inner voice" versus "not inner voice" ?), if they actually mean the same?

Actually, measure three is written differently because the dotted-eighth plus sixteenth are the top voice; they don't have to be separated from the quarter-note stem that joins the two quarter notes (Ab and C). But they are written exactly the same way as the inner voice in measure five: a dotted-eighth plus a sixteenth joined together in the same manner with the single 'bar' (sometimes called flag) for the eighth-note and the double 'bar' (flag) for the sixteenth note.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
BruceD .. you are absolutely right. Thank you.

Actually this one is not that difficult and should be quite obvious to me. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, what I said about Scriabin's music score should be a different story (e.g., his sonata no.3). It's just impossibly complicated for me smile .

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sean,

Let's try again. Here's measure 5:
[Linked Image]
I've circled in red the portion that I think is what you are talking about. You would play all three notes together as if it were a single chord. Note, however, that the Ab has a shorter duration (dotted 8th instead of quarter) and, thus will "expire" sooner. As soon as it does, play the F# while continuing to hold down the D octave. The two notes together (Ab + F#) have the same duration as the octave D that is being played.

This is simply how one notates the idea of two voices. The fact that the stems go up for one voice and down for the other helps to clarify the idea of two voices.

This is precisely what BruceD was telling you. I'm just adding the graphic to help make it clear(er).

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
It's interesting that you mention "grace note,"
because the F# essentially functions like
a grace before the final D G D chord in
the r.h. This in fact could have been
written instead as a grace on the final chord--
was that actually your question?

Note that in playing there is great freedom
in time as to how you actually play that F#.
This in fact may be why it's written as a 16th
rather than as a grace. A standard grace
would imply less freedom in time, that is,
just your run-of-the-mill "crushed" grace note.
But here, being part of a quasi-4-16th
note figure, this fairly screams at the
player: "this is a key passage, employ
rubato!" The ubiquitous 4-16th note
figures in Chopin's music almost always imply
heavy rubato.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission