Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (CharlesXX, albydooby, Chrispy, CoJac, camperbc, AprilE, Animisha, Burkie, 10 invisible), 646 guests, and 438 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
anybody hear this? #560060 01/26/07 01:02 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Just listening now for the first time to the 4th movement of Shostakovich's Piano Trio No. 2 in E Minor, Op. 67.

The pianist plays, towards the beginning, a melody that reappears in his later (and very famous) String Quartet No. 8, 2nd movement (but much slower in the trio).

Just thought that was kind of cool. And it gives those of you with recordings a chance to listen again (or for the first time?). wink

Sam
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: anybody hear this? #560061 01/26/07 01:27 AM
Shosti Offline
Yup! smile

Re: anybody hear this? #560062 01/26/07 01:30 AM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Just listening now for the first time to the 4th movement of Shostakovich's Piano Trio No. 2 in E Minor, Op. 67.

The pianist plays, towards the beginning, a melody that reappears in his later (and very famous) String Quartet No. 8, 2nd movement.
Good on ya, pianojerome! I went back and listened to the quartet and indeed, you're quite correct. Which recording of the Trio were you listening to?

Ah, but such intense music. A bit of the "low comedy" of Shostakovich's 6th Symphony (final movement) seemed a good tonic after such high drama! eek

Jason
Re: anybody hear this? #560063 01/26/07 02:42 AM
B
buxtehude Offline
B
Being guilty of not having a recording of the piano trio, I must ask a silly question: You mean the stuff he uses also in his First Cello Concerto (the best cello concerto ever written. Sorry Elgar and Dvorak fans), where he spells out his name: D Es C H...??

Re: anybody hear this? #560064 01/26/07 04:01 AM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by buxtehude:
Being guilty of not having a recording of the piano trio, I must ask a silly question: You mean the stuff he uses also in his First Cello Concerto (the best cello concerto ever written. Sorry Elgar and Dvorak fans), where he spells out his name: D Es C H...??
Could be, I don't have the scores, though a casual re-listen to the Trio didn't contain S's name, even when poking it out on the piano.

But as for 'cello concertos: pick your favourite within a certain time frame and best leave it at that. Whatever you think about the Shostakovich First, do you really feel it can be properly compared with earlier examples? Would you claim that the Emperor Concerto is greater than the Mozart K503? Music is not necessarily a Darwinian evolutionary process.

The Elgar Cello Concerto is a magnificent statement of "a man's attitude to life". It was conceived at a very critical juncture in both Elgar's personal life and that of Western Civilization in the wake of the Great War. It reflects that state of mind to a farthing, and considering all the crap that took place subsequently, I feel that comparisons to the Shostakovich are not only unwarranted, but very unfair.

Yet ultimately, doesn't it really come down to the simple and unarguable fact that you prefer Shostakovich to Elgar? I very much respect your opinions on this board, and trust you will grant me that same headspace. Cheers, buxtehude- you're cool...

Jason
Re: anybody hear this? #560065 01/26/07 04:22 AM
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes I hope you are really sorry Buxtehude, 'cause I'm the Dvorak fan (Already looking forward to hearing this live with Truls Mørk in May).

I have some problems with this "best ever" - and I guess I will have to listen more to Shostakovich wink

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
Re: anybody hear this? #560066 01/26/07 04:53 AM
B
buxtehude Offline
B
Jason, ofcourse - I'm prepared to die (or at least get superfluously wounded) for your right to express your opinions, which I always read, learn from and apreciate. And by now I should have learned to express myself more carefully when I air my idiosyncrasies; yes, it does come down to the fact that I prefer Schostakovich to Elgar, nothing else - I didn't mean to state a new law of nature.

Ragnhild, I'm sorry. I have this thing with romantic period music... While it was so in my youth it's not really my cup of tea anymore. (Though I do admire Truls Mørk - I've heard him play several times live in Copenhagen, especially in my cello-period). As to your signature; what about: Ragnhild - Queen of the Polar Circle?

Re: anybody hear this? #560067 01/26/07 05:09 AM
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So Buxtehude you've had a "cello-period" and it's over now ......? I thought your wife is a cellist ?

I'm happy that you like Truls Mørk he's really one of my favourite musicians - and he plays Bach too.... and Shostakovich I think , but I'm the kind that still weeps every time I hear Faure's Siciliano shocked

---------------------
Ragnhild ............Queen of the Polar Bears

Re: anybody hear this? #560068 01/26/07 05:30 AM
B
buxtehude Offline
B
She is, and that's why: our family isn't big enough for two cellists (and she is much better than me... that discourages a little.)

[ED: just noticed your new signature, Ragnhild! laugh How far north do you live?]

[Ed ed: alright, I admit: she was my cello teacher; that's how we met. Can't get more romantic, can it?]

Re: anybody hear this? #560069 01/26/07 06:07 AM
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Buxtehude, I think we have destroyed the seriousness of Pianojerome's thread completely.... cool

Good idea about the Cello-teacher - but I'm afraid Truls Mørk is married with three children..

And there are no Polar Bears where I live - this island is probably most famous for beeing the place where mr Andsnes grew up..

Now, please forgive me Jason and Sam and other serious students of classical music, I leave this thread to you.....and to Shostakovich.

-------------------------
Ragnhild.......Off topic as usual

Re: anybody hear this? #560070 01/26/07 06:44 AM
B
buxtehude Offline
B
Skudeneshavn or Kopervik? (Did you know Andsnes before he left for the mainland?)

Re: anybody hear this? #560071 01/26/07 06:53 AM
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And I love the Nocturne from Shostakovich 1. violin consert...... :p

------------------
Ragnhild.......beginning a new and better life always on topic

Re: anybody hear this? #560072 01/26/07 07:14 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
DSCH is not the only part of his 1st cello concerto that is repeated later on... the opening melody in the 1st movement (that reappears in the middle of the 4th movement shortly before those big glissandos) is also at the end of the 3rd movement of String Quartet No. 8.

And, no, "DSCH" is not the same theme that I was referring to in the trio. But it was a good guess. smile

Sam
Re: anybody hear this? #560073 01/26/07 07:19 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:

The pianist plays, towards the beginning, a melody that reappears in his later (and very famous) String Quartet No. 8, 2nd movement.
Good on ya, pianojerome! I went back and listened to the quartet and indeed, you're quite correct. Which recording of the Trio were you listening to?
Two recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-.../102-2979682-0779353?ie=UTF8&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-.../102-2979682-0779353?ie=UTF8&s=music

Both with Shostakovich as the pianist.

Sam
Re: anybody hear this? #560074 01/26/07 07:43 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
And I love the Nocturne from Shostakovich 1. violin consert...... :p
Me too. :p

The middle dance-like section of the 2nd movement is one of my favorite parts.

Sam
Re: anybody hear this? #560075 01/26/07 08:22 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
[b] Being guilty of not having a recording of the piano trio, I must ask a silly question: You mean the stuff he uses also in his First Cello Concerto (the best cello concerto ever written. Sorry Elgar and Dvorak fans), where he spells out his name: D Es C H...??
DSCH is not the only part of his 1st cello concerto that is repeated later on... the opening melody in the 1st movement (that reappears in the middle of the 4th movement shortly before those big glissandos) is also at the end of the 3rd movement of String Quartet No. 8.

And, no, "DSCH" is not the same theme that I was referring to in the trio. But it was a good guess. smile [/b]
Actually, now that I think about it, the opening of that melody is the DSCH played a little backwards: CHSD. And that's also the opening of the 2nd movement Scherzo in his Violin Concerto No. 1.

Sam
Re: anybody hear this? #560076 01/26/07 12:27 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
That should be interesting. I've heard Shostakovich in the piano concertos, but not the trio. My recording of the latter is the recent one with Argerich, Maisky and Kremer. A rather volatile mix!

Jason
Re: anybody hear this? #560077 01/26/07 12:33 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Skudeneshavn or Kopervik? (Did you know Andsnes before he left for the mainland?)
Yes, what about that? And sorry to hijack the thread just a bit more, but mention of Andsnes prompts me to say that I consider him one of the absolute finest pianists of his generation. I try to catch him whenever he comes to London and would love to attend a masterclass.

Jason
Re: anybody hear this? #560078 01/26/07 01:57 PM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
That should be interesting. I've heard Shostakovich in the piano concertos, but not the trio. My recording of the latter is the recent one with Argerich, Maisky and Kremer. A rather volatile mix!
Which recording of the concertos? I know of 3: 1st with Samosud and 2nd with Gauk, both with Cluytens, and both with the composer's son Maxim as conductor. I have the first two sets on CD, and at least the first one is very enjoyable (I just got the one with Cluytens yesterday but haven't listened to it yet...).

If there's anything I've learned from listening to various recordings of Shostakovich playing the piano, it is this: he was a real speed demon!

Sam
Re: anybody hear this? #560079 01/26/07 05:18 PM
N
Norma J Offline
N
Shostakovich used this musical signature in a number of pieces, one I just heard the other night for the first time. The local orcherstra performed his Chamber Symphony 100a. I believe it's actually an arrangement of the 8th String Quartet. I have to admit I'm not a huge Shastakovich fan, but I really liked this piece, very introspective, dark and dramatic.

On the hijacked side of this thread - I agree that Andsnes is an incredible pianist. I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert in December 2005 in Los Angeles.....wow!

Ragnhild, I have a special fondness for Norway and hope to visit your country soon.

Norma

Piano Tuner/Technician
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dampers on a Yamaha upright
by JuanTenorio - 12/06/19 08:44 PM
Another mental health thread: What if....
by malkin - 12/06/19 08:43 PM
Telecom Beethoven Competition
by pianoloverus - 12/06/19 08:36 PM
Note reading: low to high?
by DutchTea - 12/06/19 07:38 PM
Chopin 10/8 —Do I have idiots ffor fingers
by Coda9 - 12/06/19 07:03 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,538
Posts2,899,240
Members95,167
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission