2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Hey guys!

I'm planning on entering an all classical sonata competition, where I need a fast and slow movement. I've already got a slow movement pretty much finished (Clementi Sonata in F# minor), but I still need a contrasting fast movement.

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Matt

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
How about the third movement of Mozart 332? (F Major)

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
or maybe the third movement of Haydn B Minor or Beethoven F Major (Op. 10 No. 2)?

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Debussy20, how does the competition define "classical?" That might help people giving suggestions that the competition would accept.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The rules:

Only original, solo piano music of the following composers may be used: Clementi, Kuhlau, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and the sons of J.S. Bach. For Levels 1 through 4, students may not perform Beethoven sonatas beyond Op. 31, except for Opp. 49 and 79.

I'm with Sam, the third movement of 332 would be great.

Also consider the first movements of Beethoven Op. 2#2 or Op. 79.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Amongst the Mozart sonatas, you might want to consider the first movement (or maybe the finale) of the K. 309 C major Sonata. The work is a big, confident work in the Mannheim style, and is quite effective in my opinion.

Also in the Mannheim style is the first movement of the K. 284 D major Sonata. Another effective, exciting movement IMHO.

If you really want to show your technique, there's always the first movement of Mozart's K. 576 D major Sonata, which is widely regarded as the toughest of all of his piano sonata movements (technically speaking).

The fiery first movement of Beethoven's Op. 7 Eb Sonata is quite effective too.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
Just out of curiosity, what is considered to be a good tempo for both the 3rd mvt of 332 and the first of 576?

Side note: I played the 3rd mvt of 332 for a high school competition before I had any real instruction. Not knowing any better I assumed that playing it as fast as possible was the best way to impress the judges. WRONG! They really disliked my use of a Schirmer score as well.

There is no "try"! Do, or do not. - Yoda
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
WildWillie, maybe somewhere around 84-92 per dotted quarter would do nicely, IMHO.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The first movement of the Beethoven Op. 7 is really quite tough to play at tempo.

I'm a big fan of Beethoven Op. 2 no. 3, but it does get played a lot. Either the first or the last movement would work. I played the last movement in a competition in high school and did very well with it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, I have to mention the lively last movement of Beethoven's Op. 27 #1 Eb Sonata as another possibility. This work is a great favorite of mine.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
O
O
I recommend the following:
Mozart
A Minor, K. 310, 1st and 3rd movements
C Minor, K. 457, 1st and 3rd movements
These are dark, passionate pieces.

For sunnier pieces, try
D Major, K. 576, 1st and 3rd movements
F Major, K. 533, 1st movement

The following may be a bit easier technically:
C Major, K. 330, 1st movement
C Major, K. 309, 1st and 3rd movements
B flat major, K. 333, 1st movement
G major, K. 283, 1st and 3rd movements
F major, K. 332, 1st and 3rd movements
D Major, K. 311, 1st movement

Among Beethoven’s 32 piano sonatas, there are so many masterpiece to choose from that every pianist should at least listen to all of them. Are you restricted to sonatas up to and including op. 31 (all of these sonatas would be considered to be belonging to Beethoven’s early period)? Of these sonatas, the following are among his most famous stormy minor key works:

#8 in C Minor, op 13, 1st and 3rd movements
#14 in C Sharp minor, op. 27 no. 2, 3rd movement (among the most difficult pieces on this list from a technical standpoint)
#17, op 31 #2 in D Minor, 1st and 3rd movements

For sunnier works in a major key, try
#15, op. 28 in D major, 1st and 4th movements
#18 in E flat major, op. 31 no. 3, 1st and 4th movements
#7 in D major, op. 10 no. 3, 1st movement
#11 in B flat major, op. 22, 1st movement

Are you allowed to choose from Beethoven sonatas after op. 31? If so, this opens up a treasure trove from his middle and late periods.

Listen to recordings of as many of these pieces as you can and pick one which fits your technique and is musically appealing to you. Some things you may want to consider: Do you want a dark, passionate movement (typically in a minor key) or a lighter, sunnier piece (typically in a major key)? Does the form of the movement (e.g. sonata form, rondo, other) matter? What level of difficulty is most appropriate for you?

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
My teacher played a TON of Beethoven sonatas right after college and ever since I brought my sets of them, she's had this giant grin on her face laugh . I'd love to get a Beethoven.

I think any of the Beethoven sonatas are allowed.

I'm looking for something that would accompany the very dark and dramatic sob-story of the slow Clementi sonata. Would this sonata need to be a little lighter?

Matt

B
B
Originally posted by Debussy20:
My teacher played a TON of Beethoven sonatas right after college and ever since I brought my sets of them, she's had this giant grin on her face laugh . I'd love to get a Beethoven.

I'm looking for something that would accompany the very dark and dramatic sob-story of the slow Clementi sonata. Would this sonata need to be a little lighter?

Matt
Beethoven - Op.31 no.3

O
O
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Matt
In that case, you should also consider the 3rd movement of Beethoven's piano sonata #26 in E flat major, op. 81 a. It is a sunny, happy movement representing Beethoven's joy at being reunited with a good friend (archduke Rudolph) after an absence.

It was written around the same time as his 5th piano concerto, also in the same key, and there are similarities between this movement and the 3rd movement of the 5th piano concerto.

The outer movements of the Waldstein sonata may also be possibilities. These movements are quite technically challenging by the standards of classical sonatas.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Otis S:
[...]I think any of the Beethoven sonatas are allowed.

In that case, you should also consider the 3rd movement of Beethoven's piano sonata #26 in E flat major, op. 81 a. It is a sunny, happy movement representing Beethoven's joy at being reunited with a good friend (archduke Rudolph) after an absence.

Read the rules! Read the rules!

No Beethoven Sonata beyond Op. 31 is allowed for this competition, except for Opp 49 and 79.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I'm studying the Op.28 right now and it's fantastic.

O
O
Originally posted by BruceD:
Read the rules! Read the rules!

No Beethoven Sonata beyond Op. 31 is allowed for this competition, except for Opp 49 and 79.

Regards,
BruceD:

If you are referring to the rules posted by Piano*Dad* earlier in this thread, then I believe that your interpretation of them is incorrect. The restriction you cite only applies to levels 1-4.

Debussy20 would know much better than either of us what pieces he is allowed to play at the competition which is why I asked him whether he could pick movements from later Beethoven piano sonatas before suggesting any movements from sonatas after op. 31.

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Gosh, sorry. Piano*Dad is a little more knowledgable about this competition as his son (Piano*Son) has actually competed in it a few times. And he's right, no later than Op. 31. Sorry, I wasn't reading very carefully. laugh

Matt

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission