2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hopefully it makes a difference...just sent mine...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
This is a very sad issue, I hope really it will work out.

I have sent my e-mail to the above address (sturcotte@ashburnham-ma.gov) as president of Virtual Sheet Music, Inc and with the support of over 75,000 Members and music lovers on our website.

I hope this can help.

If I can help further, I could post a thread on our forums where hundreds of people are browsing every day. I am just asking permission for that.

All the best,
Fabrizio Ferrari

Fabrizio Ferrari, Violinist & Music Composer
Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. - Classical Sheet Music Downloads®
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com
R
R
The Fredericks certainly deserve our support in their hour of need. I have sent an s-mail to the selectmen and would certainly sign a petition and attend an event to support the museum. They are truly fine people and their work must continue.

Gary

C
C
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
I recently received a message from Pat Frederick advising that a town selectman is considering repossessing the building that currently houses the Frederick’s piano collection.

After a town building went unused for a period of time, the Fredericks sought it out as a location to house their piano collection. A 10-year contract with the town was agreed upon, and the Fredericks assumed responsibility for all building maintenance. Since signing the contract in 2000, the Fredericks have been devoted to the upkeep of the former town library, adding many updates and landscaping the grounds.

Pat & Michael Frederick provide the public a rare opportunity to enjoy the most comprehensive collection of historical (playing) grand pianos in the US. The Frederick piano collection is also a source of musical pleasure during the spring and fall concert season. As a study center, it offers a unique opportunity for those who seek to gain an understanding of these treasured instruments. The Fredericks are well-known for their unselfish contributions of time, money and energy to promote the appreciation and understanding of the collection.

A few town officials are now suggesting the possibility of breaking the previously agreed-upon lease for the center, although the majority of the community will support the Frederick collection as a valued town contribution.

I understand many of you who read this request have never visited the Frederick piano collection but please consider this a cause worthy of your efforts. [b]Please forward a response to the town office in Ashburnham, MA advising the town officials on the importance of the historical piano collection to both their community and to the visitors who travel from afar to view/play their collection.

The Select Board
Town Hall
Main St
Ashburnham, MA 01430

Long live our passion for the piano! [/b]

Claude LaVallee - Piano Tuning Services World-wide
Stadhouderskade #136
1074AZ Amsterdam Netherlands

http://www.experienceamsterdam.com/concert_services.html
= world phone: +31 65 466 3979
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by fabrizio:
This is a very sad issue, I hope really it will work out.

I have sent my e-mail to the above address (sturcotte@ashburnham-ma.gov) as president of Virtual Sheet Music, Inc and with the support of over 75,000 Members and music lovers on our website.

I hope this can help.

If I can help further, I could post a thread on our forums where hundreds of people are browsing every day. I am just asking permission for that.

All the best,
Fabrizio Ferrari
Fabrizio... Please don't hesitate to assist in any way possible.

Thanks to all of you who are forwarding a response to the town of Ashburnham.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Terry have you heard any updates from Pat? I was thinking about this last night, and hopefully things went well for her and Michael.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
L
L
i have received a reply from Mr. Dennehy and he has pointed out to me that this agreement can be broken IF re-occupation of the building is necessary for a municipal purpose and this can be proven by the town.

i dont see any reason that would ABSOLUTELY have to re-occupy that building again so there is some light here i think.

i realize that even after the ten years, the fredericks might still have to move because the lease might not be re signed, BUT the idea that the whoever wanted to move them out just so that some people can TEMPORARILY move in while another building is being redone is completely absurd. however, the fredericks i am sure have seen the day coming to where the lease as expired and they might get it re-newed, or they might not. but at least they see that date coming and i am sure they have thought about the possibilities and their options at that time. but RIGHT NOW it would be unhonorable (for breaking contract), and also just really low to force them to move when moving the entire collection is so obviously an extrememly difficult task .

anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that these people are reading our emails, and that there is still a chance this will work out and the lease has a chance to go on until it legally expires.

I love playing scales!
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it right.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

J
J
Supporters of the Frederick Piano Collection:

My name is Jonathan Dennehy, and I am the Chairman of the Board of Selectmen in Ashburnham, Massachusetts.

I just wanted to drop in and let you know what is going on with the Stevens Memorial Building, which is the home of the Frederick's Collection.

Last night we held a public forum as part of our regular meeting, and invited all interested parties to exchange information and opinions on the proposal presented for the Town to regain possession of the Stevens Memorial Building.

Please note that this proposal was NOT initiated by the Board of Selectmen, but rather by a member of our Town Hall Rennovation Committee. This committee is in charge of studying and implementing a plan to restore our historic Town Hall building that is next door to the Stevens Building.

This proposal was brought forward by Mr. Jim Whidden, the aforementioned member of the Committee. The proposal was in part to address the problem of the temporary relocation of the Town Hall staff during construction.

The meeting that was held last night was not intended to bring definitive action on the proposal, but rather to gain public input on the idea.

There were many members of the public in attendance at our meeting last night, and it seemed to me that the majority of the citizens there were not in favor of relocating the town hall staff into the Stevens Building. The Board of Selectmen voted to send this proposal back to the Town Hall Committee for further study, and we asked them to give us a recommendation.

The Fredericks entered into a ten year lease with the Town six years ago. The lease contained a very liberal provision for the benefit of the town that allowed the town to terminate the lease and regain possession of the building if a municipal purpose were found for the building. This provision is now the focus of that debate.

My personal opinion on this matter is that as a legal matter, although the town could regain possession of the building immediately, that as a matter of morality that action would be a mistake unless that town had no other viable options. The town made a ten year commitment to the Fredericks, and absent an overwhelming countervailing condition that required the town to regain possession that we should honor our commitment for the term of the lease.

The fact of the matter is that there are other cost efficient options for relocating the town hall staff. We need to find out what those options are and employ them.

I do have an appreciation to the cultural and economic value that the Piano museum brings to our community. I have also been made aware of the fact that this collection is somewhat unique not only in America but perhaps throughout the world. I certainly do not profess to know as much about pianos as any of you here, but I can appreciate the historical, cultural and musical value of the pianos and the people the Fredericks attract to play them. I have been in attendance at the Stevens Building for piano concerts and have enjoyed the experience very much.

Politics in small towns can be very interesting, but it is always necessary to separate politics from common sense and what is in the best interest of the community that we serve. I can speak for the entire Board in saying that we all appreciate the value of the collection and will take that into consideration when making decisions that affect the Stevens Building.

Thank you all for your interest in the Fredericks' collection and the Town of Ashburnham!

Jonathan Dennehy

Jonathan M. Dennehy
Chairman, Board of Selectmen
Town of Ashburnham
32 Main Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mr. Dennehy,

Thank you for taking the time to personally respond to our concerns (and welcome to the Piano Forums).

As you can probably tell by the posts, and the emails you've received, our group is passionate and enthusiastic about our friends and their collection of rare pianos.

I have received responses literally from around the world, all in support of the Fredericks'.

I would ask that you share the emails (and this post thread) with the members of the committee.

It might help them to realize (as you seemed to have) the importance of this collection, and the benefit it brings to the town of Ashburnham.

I am hoping they are as open minded as you are.

I would be happy to be able to email our 19,000+ members, and posts for our millions of guests, that the town has decided to do the right thing.

Best Regards,

Frank Baxter
Founder/Owner
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My response from Dennehy is below - but it really sounds very political correct. What else is it if not the dollars and cents - to even think of cancelling a lease which does not even come under their own heading of the reasons to do so? (see the newspaper article that I gave above)

I am glad however that they are taking note that the music community is interested, and even responded to a private email.

I wonder how the meeting went last night.

AND WRITE TO THEM, please.
------------

Dear Ms. Brooks:

Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we deliberate on this proposal.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and the Town of Ashburnham!

Jonathan M. Dennehy, Esquire
Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tue 10/17/2006 8:31 AM
To: jmd@dennehy.us
Subject: Fw: SUPPORTING PIANO MUSEUM

Copy of a letter that was sent to Sylvia Turcotte this morning.

To: <sturcotte@ashburnham-ma.gov>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 8:49 AM
Subject: SUPPORTING PIANO MUSEUM

> To:
> Board of Selectman
> Members of the Community
>
> It has come to my attention that there is some talk of the town taking
> back the building leased to the Fredericks for their Piano Museum. I feel
> that would be a shame. It is the only museum that I know of in USA that
> houses a collection of old grand pianos that are offered as playing
> instruments through tours and recitals.
>
> See:http://www.frederickcollection.org/index.html
>
> It is hopeful that this will be reconsidered. The Fredericks have put a
> lot of time, energy, and monies into making this part of the arts
> available to the far reaching community and have chosen to locate it in
> Ashburnham to your benefit .
>
> Roberta..., music teacher (private info deleted)

EDIT - Seems as though my response was sent about the same time as the post from the Chair of Selectmen about their meeting last night and their concern. We appreciate the info and hope that all things will work out well for your town and the Piano Museum

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dear Mr. Dennehy,

Thank you for taking the time personally to contact us at PW. I suspect that most of us who sent emails to your office were aware of the contract provisions allowing the town to void the lease. I think you have addressed that issue very effectively in your note to us. You are quite right in noting that the legal ability to void the lease is one thing, but acting on that right would be very unwise absent an overriding need.

If I might be so bold, could you take this crisis as an opportunity to think about longer term strategies for enhancing the relationship between your town and this important collection? Even a ten year lease (with only four remaining) creates quite a bit of uncertainty. A solid long term arrangement would give proper incentives for capital investment in buildings, support systems, and all other areas needed to make the collection better known nationally and internationally.

Yours,

David Feldman

J
J
In fact, we were in the process of negotiating with the Fredericks on this topic when the proposal to "take back" the building was thrust upon us.

I for one am very open to discussing a long term relationship with the Fredericks for the reasons that I have already stated in addition to the fact that the Fredericks have been an excellent steward of the condition and the historical quality of the building during their tenancy.

Jonathan M. Dennehy
Town of Ashburnham
32 Main Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Dennehy is there a way to cut all the red tape that would allow the Fredierick's to purchase the building?

Both the town, music lovers, and the Fredericks would benefit and ownership of the building would prevent another "event" when their lease ends in a few years with the added value of protecting these valuable pianos.

Something must be done.

L
L
Originally posted by Piano World:
Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it right.
true - but if everything that was legal was right and everything that was right was legal, then this wouldnt even have been a problem to begin with. but thats a whole other story, staying on topic - i hope this works out for the museum =)

I love playing scales!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I got this today. Kind of political speak. Not really yes or no.

Dear Sam:

Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we deliberate on this proposal.

I personally would add that although I was not on the Board of Selectmen when the original lease was negotiated, drafted and signed, I do believe that in this lease the Town of Ashburnham did make a ten year commitment to the Fredericks. This commitment may be legally broken easily upon the Town showing that the re-occupation of the building is necessary for a municipal purpose. However, I believe that we owe a moral commitment to the Fredericks to only terminate the lease if absolutely necessary, and I have not seen a circumstance yet where it has become absolutely necessary to remove the Fredericks from the Stevens Memorial Building.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and the Town of Ashburnham!

Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As a non-USA member is there any possibility that PW. and it's dedicated members could provide a financial backing to a long term, new building for this unique collection. You would have my support.

Alan

G
G
Mr. Dennehy has reply to me:

"Dear Giuseppe
Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano
Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities
across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique
cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the
Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created
on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are
charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we
are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We
are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum
brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we
deliberate on this proposal.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and
the Town of Ashburnham!

Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us"

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I emailed Channel 5 TV Chronicle Team, and explained to them briefly what's happening and what the museum is all about. Hopefully they will take this into consideration, and put a nice program together about the collection.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Dennehy was kind enough to get back to me on my email suggesting the perhaps the Fredericks could purchase the building.

I'm posting his reply:

Dear Ms. Kaplan,

I personally am open to discussing with the Fredericks the possiblility of their purchase of the Stevens Building. To my knowedge though, your email is the first mention of this type of proposal by anyone involved. If the Fredericks would like to make a proposal for the purchase of the building, I am sure that my board would be happy to consider it.

Johnathan M. Dennehy

Hopefully something good will occur - their lease ends in the near future and if the Frederick's owned the building, than the irreplaceable pianos would have a permanent home.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission