2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#549669 07/16/01 01:51 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
I am looking for some recordings, but the problem is that I am not sure which would be best. These are it: (I want the sound quality to be top notch, like the playing!)
All of Beethoven Sonatas- Brendel maybe? Is there better?
Chopin Etudes, Polonaises- I though maybe Maurizio Pollini here
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It seems that recording companies have often
changed their focus[and ownership!] allowing
for variable products at different times.
Deutsche Grammophon seems very consistent
in high-end classical recording.
The interpretation of composers is another
matter. Like pianos,you enter the realm of
personal preferences and your own taste.
I never liked Glenn Gould playing Beethoven.
Others thought he was genius,doing it his way

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
CrashTest,

Let me start by listing a few for you.

Chopin 24 Etudes -
Ashkenazy
Pollini
Zayas
Lortie
Berezovsky

(not in any particular order)

Beethoven 32 Sonatas -
Claude Frank
Richard Goode
Alfred Brendel (2nd recording)
Claudio Arrau

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies -
Robert Szidon

Rgds,
AndrewG

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Oh, I left out Polonaises -

Pollini
Ashkenazy
Rubinstein
Cherkassky

(again not in any particular order)

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Those are the pianists I had in mind, how do I know which of the Brendel recordings is the second one? What year was that one(and the other one) recorded? Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 2nd Brendel set is from the 70's. I also very highly recommend Robert Taub's Beethoven cycle. Also on the Vox label --the Op. 111 is gloriously done. Other considerations: Richard Goode (my first choice) and, of course, Artur Schnabel's Beethoven cycle.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
my $0.02:

Beethoven Sonatas: Ashkenazy. even if u don't like him you have to hear his recordings, especially the Appassionata 3.

Chopin Etudes: Pollini. no one else seems to come close to his killer combination of technique + interpretation.

Chopin Polonaises: in my opinion, few have recorded these outstandingly, but Ashkenazy and Cherkassky are pretty good here.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
To date Brendel has done 3 cycles of Beethoven 32. The first is under Vox. The other two are under Philips. The earlier one under Philips is analogue recording while the later one a digital recording. Get the earlier one under Philips. To me Claude Frank did a better job than Brendel even though Brendel is a far better known name.

As to the individual sonatas others mentioned I feel that Arrau's Op.111 has yet to be surpassed. Richter's 'Appassionata' enjoys a world-wide acclaim for good reasons.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another set that ought to be mentioned, is Kempff's. Of his two sets, I prefer the last.

Here's a link to a very nice (and, to my mind, pretty accurate) overview of the various available recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas.
http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/articles/beethoven/psonatas.html

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Wilhelm Backhaus cycle of Beethoven Sonatas is a serious omission from this review, at least in my opinion. The set was recorded between '53 and '69, so the recording quality is not as high as more recent recordings, but it isn't bad by any means. I know I have mentioned them before, but I thought I would give them another plug smile

What I like about Backhaus' playing is his drive and sense of line and direction. All inner voices are phrased, not just the melody. He builds up small ideas into larger structures, using the full range of dynamics with variations in tempo to help provide shape. His approach is still more pianist than pedantic - his tempi are aggressive and and the Sonatas are exciting to listen to. Even if you don't prefer his interpretations, I think it's worth giving them a listen to get a different point of view.

Ryan

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
A few weeks ago I asked my teacher what the best sonata recordings was, his answer was always Wilhelm Backhaus! Wilhelm Backhaus! "You can hear every note!". But I can't find it anywhere, even on the internet cd stores, so its one of the others for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Try www.gemm.com, that's where I found it. They are a global music search engine that can find some pretty obscure stuff. They found the Backhaus set at a store in Germany, which is where I wound up buying it from. Shipping wasn't too expensive, and I had the disks in my hand in about a week.

I really liked your teacher's comment about Backhaus - you really *can* hear every note.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Backhaus is really great stuff. You can probably acquire much easier the Backhaus Volume in the "Great Pianists of the 20th Century" series. It is comprised mainly of the Beethoven sonatas.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
CrashTest,

In your original post you stated you wanted the sound quality to be top notch. That rules out...

For modern sound sets, two have not been mentioned but I thought they deserve looking into.

John O'Conner
Alredo Perl

Perl's is a budget set plus a magnificent Diabelli Variations. I like this set a lot.

J
Jac Offline
J
I agree with Ryan, I think that Backhaus' recording of all of the 32 Sonatas is one of the best in commerce. It has recently been released here in Europe in a single package (eight cd's), it's quite easy to find and it's also relatively cheap. I'd recommend it. I think you could try to look for it in an European-based internet store (for instance, Amazon.fr)

Also, Pollini made some sensational recordings of the last 5 Sonatas by Beethoven, in a double DGG. His 110, for instance, is the best I've ever heard.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission