2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
http://www.beethovenshair.ca/flash.html

i watched this docu-drama recently - among other things, he would have been in agonising pain with gallstones but took no morphine for the sake of his music and how he dealt with deafness.

fascinating!

can anyone recomend a beethoven biography?

"musical training is a more potent instrument than any other because rhythym and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul" -Plato
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've only read portions of it, but Thayer's Beethoven is pretty good and quite comprehensive.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
I read the book, "Beethoven's Hair" by Russel Martin. It was really good. (Sounds like the docu-drama was based on it.)

I like the biography by Maynard Solomon, although it is very long.

M
OP Offline
M
thumb

"musical training is a more potent instrument than any other because rhythym and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul" -Plato
I watched a documentary DVD about Beethoven, a guy took a small glass box and said that was Beethoven's hair, his father got from his doctor who cut the hair when Beethoven died, some scientists tested the hair (DNA), and finally says it's true.

In my this life, I will enjoy playing the piano
In my next life, I will become a pianist
I would recommend the Solomon book too. I don't know what laney means by saying it is "very long", though - the original version of the book is around 400 pages and the revised version 500 pages. If anything, on the short side for a full-scale biography!

There's also the New Grove biography by Joseph Kerman. I would read in conjunction with that the volume by H.C Robbins Landon which collects letters to and from Beethoven along with diary entries and other material by people who knew him. And follow that with the excellent book by William Kindermann which discusses Beethoven's music in the context of his life and time.

A nice one....by "Emil Ludwig" nice one, but too short =(

M
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Sonata:
I watched a documentary DVD about Beethoven, a guy took a small glass box and said that was Beethoven's hair, his father got from his doctor who cut the hair when Beethoven died, some scientists tested the hair (DNA), and finally says it's true.
yes, it's how it got there that's interesting - under the noses of the Nazi's,and the pain he endured - if he had taken morphine we probably would have those great late sonatas.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission