Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
136 registered members (36251, Avalanch, anotherscott, Abdol, Agustin Roses, Animisha, 39 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shigeru SK-7 #54445
03/18/05 10:10 PM
03/18/05 10:10 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

I was out and about yesterday and played a Shigeru SK-7 (Evola Music in Utica, MI)...this model is 7'6". The SK-7 was the best piano I've played in years...the tone had character, brightening as the volume increased. I could play very softly and very loud and everything in between. The action might be the best I've played...very responsive!

I've read a couple of comments that the SHigeru isn't worth the diff between it and an RX, but I beg to differ...this is a completely different animal. I know the components are similar and look alike somewhat, but I can tell you this is a nicer piano than the RX, in fact there was an RX in the same room and there was no comparison; the RX sounded like it had a blanket over it compared to the SHigeru..

If I were buying today, this would be my piano...BTW, does anyone here own a SK-7 or SK-6 (7')????.....I'd give serious consideration to trading my M&H BB for one of these....

Mat D.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54446
03/18/05 10:43 PM
03/18/05 10:43 PM
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by Mat D.:

If I were buying today, this would be my piano...BTW, does anyone here own a SK-7 or SK-6 (7')????.....I'd give serious consideration to trading my M&H BB for one of these....
Gasp! How dare any one utter such blasphemy in this Piano Forum! eek

(Or may be you've just seen the light? wink )

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54447
03/19/05 12:26 AM
03/19/05 12:26 AM
las vegas, nevada
NighTrain Offline
NighTrain  Offline

las vegas, nevada
hi, i just bought a new shigeru sk-6 a few weeks ago. it was build in 2005, the tone and touch are excellent compare to older model of shigeru. i had a very hard decision between sk-6 and the mason bb. i am for sure either piano will make me happy, but the sk-6 just happened to have everything that i need. the mason bb is beautiful by itself especially the raw power come from the bass, and i don't think you need to upgrade it to a sk-6 or sk-7, just my opinion. need any question and i am glad to answer you about my experience with the sk-6. anyway, good luck in your search. i will post my pictures of my piano as soon as i can.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54448
03/19/05 06:42 AM
03/19/05 06:42 AM
Texas
FranklySpeaking Offline
FranklySpeaking  Offline

Texas
NighTrain,
looking forward to your pictures!! laugh

Jay

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Katharine Hepburn
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54449
03/19/05 01:12 PM
03/19/05 01:12 PM
Texas
Hamiltonian Offline
Hamiltonian  Offline

Texas
Mat D:

Yes, I have a year old SK-6. Other than one or two overpriced Steinway A/Bs, the only other piano I would have given serious consideration to is....you guessed it....a Mason BB. However, we do not have a dealer in our area, so I ruled that out. I of coursed played many other brands, including AF, Estonia, Bosendorfer, many Steinways, Seiler, Baldwin, Yamaha, Schimmel, Petrof ,... in reaching what is very much a personal decision.

The SK-6 has in my opinion a mid and high end that is unmatched and the graphite action is superb. That is why I fell in love with this piano.

Funny you should bring the Shigeru up, since just yesterday I had Terry Otake--Shigeru Master Piano technician from Japan--spend the full day in my house with the complementary tuning, regulation and voicing that is part of the Shigeru offer. He was a marvel to watch; more on that in another note.

Terry told me that Shigeru builds about 200 grands a year. Typically a team of 7 or 8 master technicians do all the work on each Shigeru; I am not sure how it is decided, but one of the master technicians personally signs off and takes "ownership" over each Shigeru; my piano was built under the leadership of Mr. Kaizuka. I understand that everything is done by hand except for the machine work done on the cabinet; even the bass strings are hand wound.

If I understood correctly, the K. Kawai grands are assembly line manufactured and are more machine intensive builds. To me, what really is important, is of course how the piano sounds and in that regard I like the K. Kawai pianos as well. In my opinion, it matter not that a piano is hand built, if it sounds inferior.

As a westerner, I typically smile when I hear the stereotypically comments about European and American piano being "of course" better than Asian. In automobiles, I recall similar language around Cadallac in the 60s and 70s and probably many of you are aware of the quality issues that now face Mercedes and BMW. Of course the likes of Lexus and, in the camera world, Nikon and Canon, are regarded as the world leading benchmarks.

Hamiltonian

Shigeru Kawai SK6, Hammond R124
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54450
03/19/05 02:23 PM
03/19/05 02:23 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
I had the pleasure of playing a Shigeru concert grand (supposedly the one Earl Wild had used in recordings)at the Kawai dealership in NYC around 6 months ago. I thought it was on a very short list of the most beautiful sounding pianos I had ever played.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54451
03/19/05 07:40 PM
03/19/05 07:40 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally posted by Axtremus:
Originally posted by Mat D.:

If I were buying today, this would be my piano...BTW, does anyone here own a SK-7 or SK-6 (7')????.....[b]I'd give serious consideration to trading my M&H BB for one of these....
Gasp! How dare any one utter such blasphemy in this Piano Forum! eek

(Or may be you've just seen the light? wink ) [/b]
Axtremus,

I don't know whether I've seen the light, but I do know I was impressed w/the Shigeru SK-7.

I really think it's just a question of evolving taste...My BB has undergone quite a bit since I bought it new in 1999....got rid of the Renner Blue hammers (replaced w/Steinway Ds)& had the Stanwood action upgrade done....it sounds & plays like what a M&H BB should sound & IMO better than the new ones these days, but then, I do have a very good tech. The Renner hot-pressed hammers just didn't do the BB any justice; why the Burgetts ever decided on them I don't know, but that's another story...

I sure wish I could afford (or have room for) 2 pianos...the Shigeru SK-7 would certainly be one. In the meantime, if a Shigeru owner who's tastes are evolving in the other direction were to call me and talk about swapping, I'd check it out. It may sound crazy, but I ask myself...why not...I wouldn't say the SHigeru is a better piano than the M&H, just a different kind of piano.

I realize it may raise some eyebrows around here, but what the heck...I'll just keep my eyes & ears open....and still enjoy my BB in the meantime.

Mat D.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54452
03/19/05 07:48 PM
03/19/05 07:48 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Renner, hard pressed hammers on MH:

Why the Burgetts ever decided on them,I don't know, but that's another story......

Perhaps the Burgetts never *did* decide on them.

Renner - most likely did.

Apparently word is out: "you buy our actions - you buy our hammers"!!

"Not from that other guy out there who once worked for us"..............

norbert :rolleyes:
[not the "Norbert Able".... wink ]

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54453
03/19/05 08:28 PM
03/19/05 08:28 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally posted by Norbert:
Renner, hard pressed hammers on MH:

[b]Why the Burgetts ever decided on them,I don't know, but that's another story......

Perhaps the Burgetts never *did* decide on them.

Renner - most likely did.

Apparently word is out: "you buy our actions - you buy our hammers"!!

"Not from that other guy out there who once worked for us"..............

norbert :rolleyes:
[not the "Norbert Able".... wink ] [/b]
Norbert, This is quite likely the way it went with the hammer decision (non-decision). It doesn't make any sense to put hard-pressed hammers on the BB...M&H goes to great length to brag about their history, their wonderful 'original' scale designs etc. and then they turn around and put a modern, hard-pressed hammer on an istrument that was designed for the tradition softer hammer.

In a perfect world this would never happen, but we all know this isn't a perfect world..."business is business", but that doesn't always translate to better music...

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has put different hammers on their BB...When I first did it 3 or so years ago, I can rememeber getting a couple of "how could you do that"..."why would you have to change the hammers on a new piano" type comments, but I want what I want and I know what I like; I can remember playing Mason & Hamlins years ago and loved them...that was what I heard in my head----I did get it when I went to the softer hammers. It's interesting because the basic tonality/character of the piano didn't change, it just got 'rounder' & 'warmer' sounding...BETTER!

Now my piano tonal preferences are evolving a bit and I'm exploring some new territory w/the Shigeru...where it will lead, who knows...I'm going to enjoy the trip either way.

Mat D.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54454
03/19/05 09:58 PM
03/19/05 09:58 PM
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Mat D. wrote:

"I want what I want and I know what I like."
Bravo! thumb thumb

I wish more people can develop such certitude and have the guts to through with getting exactly what they want/like when it comes to something as subjective as the sound of a piano. smile

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54455
03/20/05 12:48 AM
03/20/05 12:48 AM
las vegas, nevada
NighTrain Offline
NighTrain  Offline

las vegas, nevada
wow Mat, i hope you could get the shigeru sk-6 or sk-7 too. they are really nice piano. most of the people in this forum probadly pick the mason over the shigeru any day. i pick the shigeru over the mason, but i didn't go public like you. you own the bb and willing to trade in for a shigeru? real nice, i don't see this happen everyday. actually, i could buy the mason bb and save alot of money, but i choose not to. i am willing to pay more for the shigeru, and i am happy with it.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54456
03/20/05 07:27 AM
03/20/05 07:27 AM
California
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dan M  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Norbert,
If Renner somehow pressures mfgs to use their hammers and their action, how then are the Walters able to use Renner action and Abel hammers?

Which is a stunning combination by the way thumb

The piano is my drug of choice.
Why are you reading this? Go play the piano! Why am I writing this? ARGGG!
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54457
03/20/05 07:33 AM
03/20/05 07:33 AM
California
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dan M  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Forgot to add, the Shiguru's are an up there with the rest of the 'tier 1' pianos as far as I'm concerned. Wonderful tone, scale and touch. I would have no qualms buying one (if I had the cash and the space smile )

The piano is my drug of choice.
Why are you reading this? Go play the piano! Why am I writing this? ARGGG!
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54458
03/20/05 07:45 AM
Massachusetts
R
Roy123 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roy123  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Massachusetts
I played a smaller Shigero (around 6 ft) and also thought it was one of the best pianos I had every played. An RX-2 was sitting right next to it in the store, and the Shigero was far better in every regard except for the action--The RX-2 had the new carbon-fiber reinforced action which felt almost as good the Shigero's. I agree whole heartedly about the Shigero--it is a superb piano and better than many of the vaunted makes.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54459
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

With regards to the Renner discussion... do you guys mean "hot-pressed" or do you really mean "hard-pressed" in the hammer discussion above? And doesn't Renner make cold-pressed hammer at all?

And to make this tangentially on topic, yeah, I sort of remember one of Shigeru's sales schpiel is their "cold-pressed" hammers, not that I care so much as long as the piano sounds good to me. :p

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54460
03/20/05 11:08 AM
03/20/05 11:08 AM
NM, GE & Wash. DC
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JPM  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

NM, GE & Wash. DC
Matt,

Since you started by comparing the Shigeru to M&H, it would be nice to broaden the discussion a little bit. I would like to hear your comments (and other's) on the Shigerus versus the S series Yamahas.

I played the S4 two or three years ago and found it to be a very nice piano. Would love to try a S6.

Your comments on the Shigeru has given me the itch to give them a spin. The first "quality" piano I bought was a larger Kawai upright. I enjoyed that piano for several years before trading it.

JP

"Piano music should only be written for the Bechstein."
-- Claude Debussy
Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54461
03/20/05 07:05 PM
03/20/05 07:05 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally posted by JPM:
Matt,

Since you started by comparing the Shigeru to M&H, it would be nice to broaden the discussion a little bit. I would like to hear your comments (and other's) on the Shigerus versus the S series Yamahas.

I played the S4 two or three years ago and found it to be a very nice piano. Would love to try a S6.

Your comments on the Shigeru has given me the itch to give them a spin. The first "quality" piano I bought was a larger Kawai upright. I enjoyed that piano for several years before trading it.

JP
JP, Sorry, I've never seen an "S" series Yamaha, but have always heard good reports on them.

If you get a chance, be sure to check out the Shigeru....I played one 2 years ago and loved it..now again I was blown away. The tonal quality of the Shigeru is somewhere between a Steinway B and a Bosendorfer CS. The sound is not as beefy as the Steinway, but not as bright as the Bosie; it is a more transparent tone than the B, but more robust than the Bosie. I really like the combination...it has plenty of character and power, certainly not whimpy. I would say it's (the SK-7)closer to the sound of a Hamburg C than anything else I can think of...that's pretty good company IMO.

Mat D.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54462
03/20/05 07:11 PM
03/20/05 07:11 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally posted by Axtremus:
With regards to the Renner discussion... do you guys mean "hot-pressed" or do you really mean "hard-pressed" in the hammer discussion above? And doesn't Renner make cold-pressed hammer at all?

And to make this tangentially on topic, yeah, I sort of remember one of Shigeru's sales schpiel is their "cold-pressed" hammers, not that I care so much as long as the piano sounds good to me. :p
I think I may have mis-spoke (mis-typed)...I meant "hot-pressed", but said hard-pressed.

I don't have anything in particular against any brand or style of hammer...I really don't care, as long as the piano sounds great. it's the combination of certain scales (such as the BB) and those "hot-pressed" hammers that doesn't seem to work for me. From what I understand, Steinway Hamburg uses Renner hammers, but again, the hammers are designed for that particular piano.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54463
03/20/05 07:26 PM
03/20/05 07:26 PM
M
Mat D. Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally posted by NighTrain:
wow Mat, i hope you could get the shigeru sk-6 or sk-7 too. they are really nice piano. most of the people in this forum probadly pick the mason over the shigeru any day. i pick the shigeru over the mason, but i didn't go public like you. you own the bb and willing to trade in for a shigeru? real nice, i don't see this happen everyday. actually, i could buy the mason bb and save alot of money, but i choose not to. i am willing to pay more for the shigeru, and i am happy with it.
NighTran,

Like I said, it may just be my taste evolving...I still appreciate my BB very much. I may have been the very first BB owner here on the forum and I know for a fact I was responsible in some way for selling a few Mason & Hamlins; I was very enthusiastic about them when I first bought my piano...along the way I struggled with getting what I wanted out of my piano as far as the "Classic Mason & Hamlin" full bodied tone...that's when I decided to dump the Renner blues and at the suggestion of my tech, replace them w/the Steinway (cold-pressed)...it was at that time that I went with the Stanwood action upgrade since the piano was pretty much disassembled anyway. The piano turned out just as I hoped...the resulting tone was what I considered the "real" M&H tone....now I am considering other possibilities.

Since I was a M&H owner & have had lots of experience with it, I felt I was qualified to bring up the subject. Why not share ones experiences honestly...I certainly have no agenda, just sharing my experinces...I realize it might not be popular with everyone on the forum, but that's what is great about a forum like this, eveyone brings their own experiences and shares them with the rest...It is not my intention to slam M&H in any way...I own a BB and can be quite happy with it, but it's a big world out there and I am just starting to allow myself to appreciate some other fine instruments, namely the Shigeru SK-7 and SK-6.

Mat D.

Re: Shigeru SK-7 #54464
03/20/05 07:35 PM
03/20/05 07:35 PM
Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich D. Offline

Gold Subscriber
Rich D.  Offline

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Mat. D
Just go for the Hamburg Steinway C and be done with it. wink

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Notes Trainer iPad app
by Matvey. 07/17/19 10:43 AM
Sharpening The Learning Curve
by Agustin Roses. 07/17/19 09:40 AM
Understanding chords, please help
by Pippa. 07/17/19 08:46 AM
Yesterday - The Beatles - piano arrangement
by nappy. 07/17/19 03:21 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,043
Posts2,849,201
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission