2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I started on the Schirmer years ago (Bulow and Lebert) and moved to the Henle edition. The Henle lays flat at all times whether it's on a grand or an upright. It may be older, but there's only so many revisions and scholarly "discoveries" until you're playing a piece that no longer is Beethoven. Somehow, I think Beethoven would have laughed at some of the small details that scholars harp on. While they may be important for interpretation, Beethoven would probably have said "enough! just play it!"

I prefer the Master's prose to an editor's prose, unless - like you say - I need an occasional view apart from my own.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Took a while to get here - but they finally came today. I quickly looked at three of the sonatas I've recently been working on. It's a very fine edition and from my limited exposure to them, I'd take them over the Henle - more helpful information - excellent binding - though not sewn. The print is exceptionally clear - the best of any edition i have - and I have six others...

A lot of thought went into this edition - even the page turns seem to be in better places than I've seen in many other editions.

Since I'm a psycho I'm reporting before I've spent hours with the books - but I have to say my initial impression is this is a superb edition.

I'm going to spend some more time with it over the coming days - will let you know if there's anything else to say.

S
S
I ordered it a little over a week ago. Of course, it's Oxford, so they don't exactly bother to reply after the initial purchase order e-mail. It would be nice to know if it was coming, but that would of course require them to do something convenient for customers. Sigh....

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ferdinand:
Originally posted by BruceD
to lay is a transitive verb, requiring a direct object (noun or pronoun) :
- to place (an object) in a horizontal position or position of rest
- to put or place (something) in a particular position
I will lay the book on the table.
The hen is laying an egg.
If you lay the baby down gently, she will go to sleep.
Lay your head on my shoulder!
Lay it over there.
If I may expand your exposition with a few more examples:

Lay can also be used reflexively, as in
Now I lay me down to sleep
Good point, though it's still a transitive verb requiring a direct object, as Bruce pointed out, even though that direct object is oneself.

What am I laying down to sleep? Me. I am laying *me* down to sleep. Though shouldn't it read, "I lay *myself* down to sleep," since, you're right, it is reflexive?

Sam
S
S
Bruce <smile>, you still have it backwards. Yes, the book is an object. The book assuredly does not place itself on the piano rack to lie open. It is laid open by an animate critter (a person). Sorry, the whole thing about transitive/intransitive is just something that grammarians made up last century to hopelessly confuse a mostly simple point. Same thing with who and whom. There's a simple way to remember which one to use, and then there's a way that people who teach English but don't actually speak or write it use. Believe me: the simple way is the way you want to go!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by stevedavis1776:
Bruce <smile>, you still have it backwards. Yes, the book is an object. The book assuredly does not place itself on the piano rack to lie open. It is laid open by an animate critter (a person). Sorry, the whole thing about transitive/intransitive is just something that grammarians made up last century to hopelessly confuse a mostly simple point. Same thing with who and whom. There's a simple way to remember which one to use, and then there's a way that people who teach English but don't actually speak or write it use. Believe me: the simple way is the way you want to go!!
Here's part of a usage note (under the verb "lay") from the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary:
LAY has been used intransitively in the sense of "lie" since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since... Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that LIE is for people and LAY is for things...
Bruce has this one right, but he is swimming against the tide of popular usage.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
S
S
Never mind. I finally broke out the English manual. I thank God that I don't find myself teaching "lie" and "lay" very often. Bruce is write. In present tense, a book "lies" on the music rack. Don't ask me how I got part of that rule twisted about a bit! Well, good, I learned something new, for when that situation crops up in a paper somewhere!

S
S
er...Bruce is "right," not "write." Well done!

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Bruce is correct, as always. This is one of my many word usage pet peeves. My wife (the Phi Beta Kappa) will tell one of the girls to "lay" in bed. My routine response is "Lay what? An egg?"

Originally posted by JBiegel:
I was looking for an autograph or facsimile of the 'Pathetique', and Professor Cooper contacted me and said there are no such manuscripts available. I plan to purchase these editions, as well as the ones by Stewart Gordon, which readers should equally explore.
I have the first two volumes edited by Stewart Gordon (Alfred), which I strongly recommend. He refers constantly to all previous editions, eleven total. To my knowledge, this is unique among Beethoven editions. This is especially helpful for working out ornaments. Gordon will typically say something like, "These six editors suggest playing it like this, while these other five suggest this, which this editor prefers." I had both volumes spiral-bound at Kinko's. I also have Tovey's, which I enjoy for his erudite commentary, and Schenker's, whose fingerings are always creative and worth studying. The latter is also the best buy, two volumes by Dover.

Cheers,

Craig

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
originally posted by Pianojerome:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ferdinand:
Lay can also be used reflexively, as in
Now I lay me down to sleep
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good point, though it's still a transitive verb requiring a direct object, as Bruce pointed out, even though that direct object is oneself.

What am I laying down to sleep? Me. I am laying *me* down to sleep. Though shouldn't it read, "I lay *myself* down to sleep," since, you're right, it is reflexive?
What you say seems right, that the reflexive is a special case of subject - transitive verb -object.
I think the "me" in place of "myself" is an archaic or poetic usage.

80k Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by kluurs:
Took a while to get here - but they finally came today. I quickly looked at three of the sonatas I've recently been working on. It's a very fine edition and from my limited exposure to them, I'd take them over the Henle - more helpful information - excellent binding - though not sewn. The print is exceptionally clear - the best of any edition i have - and I have six others...

A lot of thought went into this edition - even the page turns seem to be in better places than I've seen in many other editions.

Since I'm a psycho I'm reporting before I've spent hours with the books - but I have to say my initial impression is this is a superb edition.

I'm going to spend some more time with it over the coming days - will let you know if there's anything else to say.
Thanks so much for reporting back.
I had followed this thread, but your post (which was the most important feedback in the thread) somehow got buried in the fascinating English grammar discussion laugh .

I may keep an eye out on the set for when/if it goes on sale. SheetMusicPlus had a sale on ABRSM and Peters editions last month, so hopefully they'll have another one soon.

S
S
Yes, mine just showed up out on the front porch today. They shipped it in a bag that was sized to contain a small child, but fortunately only had the Beethoven package in there. Did anyone mention yet that not only do you get three nice-sized, very legible volumes of Urtext, but you also get three audio CD's that contain additional commentary on performance and techniques for deriving sound similar to what Beethoven would have been experiencing when he was writing? Really super-nice set. It's hard to call paperback editions of something heirloom quality, but seriously, if you've got a pianist in your familay somewhere who is serious, this would be something to bestow to them in a will. Only a hundred bucks, but just really nice. If you don't wish to die, you could always probably just buy it for them as a gift.

80k Offline OP
OP Offline
stevedavis1776,
Thanks for your feedback on it. I just found a sampler pdf on the Peters/ABRSM website, and it looks like a fantastic edition.

I'm still using my Schnabel set (which is beyond worn-out, and practically disintegrating before my eyes laugh ). I was leaning towards the Henle, but between you and kluurs, I am thinking this Cooper set may be the one to get.

I'd be interested in more comments from those who have received their copies. In particular, one complaint about the Henle edition is that it normalizes Beethoven's various articulation marks (dots, lines, and wedges) into dots. How does Cooper deal with this issue (since this is an area where it's hard to be sure what Beethoven wrote)?

Also, could you link to the sampler pdf? I can't seem to find it.

Steinway C
80k Offline OP
OP Offline
Gabe Racz,

Here is the sampler pdf:
http://www.edition-peters.com/pdf/ABRSM_Beethoven.pdf

Cooper appears to take the articulation marks very seriously. There are definitely distinctions between wedges and dots, though I hope some of the owners of the set will chime in as well. Also, he has Beethoven's fingerings in larger text so you can differentiate them from the editor's fingerings.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The problem with making a distinction between dots and wedges is that Beethoven wasn't always precise about notating them: he was usually in too much of a hurry to still the quill long enough to stop confusing his printers. I wonder if this edition gives it's wedges and dots as gospel markings or just editorial markings and if editorial, are they pointed out as such..

80k Offline OP
OP Offline
Mattardo,
Good point, although I would imagine Cooper was more than aware of this issue.

On p.7 of the sampler, he writes (regarding dashes and staccatos),

"The use of staccato dots is strikingly systematic in this movement in all sources, appearing on repeated chords and light scale passages while dashes appear on arpeggio patterns. The autograph score must therefore have contained some evidence for this distinction, and the engravers of the sources clearly believed it was significant and worth preserving".

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, have new sources surfaced (the long-lost manuscript of Op. 106, for example) that this new edition takes into account?

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
Thanks for the link to the pdf! This looks very interesting.

I'm curious too if there are "new" sources taken into account. I put "new" in quotes since the Henle edition, for example, is 50 years old (and that's the one I happen to have on hand for comparison). Not to mention that the source itself would be old, but would be newly discovered. ;-)

Steinway C
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission